Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: has anyone else had this with Femarelle tablets ?  (Read 13054 times)

Kas

has anyone else had this with Femarelle tablets ?
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »

Not sure if this was just coincidental, but when I went back to my dr's last week for my first review on my new ad dosage(gone from 20mg to 40mg) I asked him about taking Femarelle tablets(herbal) to help with day to day life, (took them b4 I went on ad's, haven't since)and  he said that would be ok as they have no hormones in, so I started taking them again. Low and behold later that afternoon/evening I started having period pains- been clear for 6 months and I started bleeding that night (last thursday 30th oct) and have just finished today.
Has anyone else had this happen to them as I'm having trouble believing it was a coincidence.
Kas x

Dancinggirl

Re: has anyone else had this with Femarelle tablets ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »

I suspect you felt you needed these herbal tablets because you own hormones were kicking in and you were having some PMT types symptoms - you then just started your period because it was due! 
Femarelle has isoflavines(phytoestrogens) in it and if these are going to have an effect it would take at least 2- 4 weeks to feel any benefit.  There is some debate as to how effective these phytoestrogens are in reducing flushes but there is some evidence they are beneficial for your heart and bones. I know that women who have had breast cancer are advised to avoid foods and supplements with phytoestrogens.
Many women have long gaps between their periods through the peri stage and the fluctuations in your hormones are horrid.
If your GP has said you can take these supplements then they may help things in the long term.  Dg x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »

I was also on a phytooestrogen type herbal treatment yrs back and also started bleeding, was convinced that it was cancer went rushing off to the Dr and he told me not to use the phyto's as they were quite capable of bringing on a bleed and I was definitely way past peri....

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »

Quite true Red Clover also which had been well researched at least since the nineties especially in Australia, can exert hormone like properties.

So probably should be used with care just like pharmaceutical hormones.

I can speak from experience as I was told it could have increased my fibroid growth.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/10/18/red-clover/

It certainly had an effect on sheep fertility who graze on red clover.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »

Hi Kas

I haven't come across Femarelle so I've just been looking it up.

From what I can gather it contains phyto-oestrogen compounds (lignans)  that are synthesised or derived from soy and flax seed, and different from, and cannot be compared with phyto-oestrogens found in red clover (iso-flavones).

I am new to all this so haven't got to grips with it yet but Femarelle acts as what is known as an SERM ie a Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator, which means it acts selectively on some oestrogen receptors and not others, whereas red clover isoflavones are oestrogenic.

The manufacturers report a lot of studies on their website here: http://femarelle.co.uk/AboutFemarelle.aspx?lang=3&id=48 although some of the studies do not appear to be placebo controlled. I haven't read them all yet  ;D

However the main point about its mode of action is that the studies appear to show that it relieves menopausal symptoms and can prevent bone loss, but does not act on the uterus nor the breast, and so should be entirely safe to use ie it is not a hormone.

That being the case it cannot have caused your bleed - and that was a coincidence! As Dancinggirl says in any case even if it could stimulate the uterus it could not act that quickly.

What I don't understand is why it hasn't been licensed because it would be a fantastic alternative to HRT on NHS for those who cannot take oestrogen. I presume it is because studies are continuing (which the company say) and of course there need to be rigorous, controlled trials with different dosages over a long period of time in order to assess its efficacy and safety, as well as how it might interact with other medications and treatments. Scientific results appear to be promising (re menopause) but maybe conflicting.

It all sounds a bit complicated and I can't take it all in at the moment, so hope I've got it right - has taken ages to find this out!!

The fact that you've had a period though Kas menas your own hormones are still active so you are not yet at menopause, so I imagine your flushes might have stopped for a bit (maybe you don't get them anyway if you're on ADs?) - not sure if you are pleased about this (re the periods) but I would be!

Hurdity x

Kas

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »

Thank you all for the replies ladies, it does make for interesting reading and I appreciate the help.I will carry on taking them for the time being and let you know how it goes. I am  relieved the bleed was coincidental, although I felt like a new person because of it( for the better).
The new dosage of ad's seems to be helping although the anxiety is still there. Hope to go back to work at the end of the week so will make sure I've my rescue remedy to hand.
 :hug:
Kas x