Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: spotting and coming off hrt cold turkey  (Read 3733 times)

helenart

spotting and coming off hrt cold turkey
« on: November 07, 2014, 07:36:27 AM »

Please can you help?  I am 50 and have been on evoral squae patches for about 8 years having started peri menopause quite early in my 40s.   about 2 months ago I had some very light spotting which is ongoing.   My GP performed a smear test which was normal, an internal exam proved the spotting was coming from the uterus not the cervix so I was sent for an ultrasound and a trans vaginal ultrasound, both of which proved normal and my gp was happy with that.  However, they need to find out why I am still spotting and I have taken me off HRT.   I was on the second patch of week one and I was told by her that she would not expect any symptoms at all.  The patch was removed on Wednesday morning and I am still spotting.  Should I be concerned?  When could I expect any menopausal symptoms to re-start if they are going to?  Should I be worried about the spotting?  I was told that if it continues I will need a biopsy of the endrometrium which can be done at my gp surgery - I am very very worried and would be grateful for any advice.  I am not overweight and have never had children if this helps.  Thank you :(

Dancinggirl

Re: spotting and coming off hrt cold turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »

Hi helenart and welcome to MM
Spotting while on HRT is very common. If it was heavy bleeding then that might of more concern. I think your GP is covering all bases to be on the safe side.  The meno symptoms sometimes take a bit of time to return, if they are going to - some women start getting flushes etc within a few days - we are all different. I came off HRT last autumn and throughout the winter the symptoms weren't too bad but through this summer I really suffered. I expect it may take a few days for the spotting to subside and if it doesn't, well, it's good they are investigating.
So far all the usual tests are proving OK so I really wouldn't worry.
DG x

helenart

Re: spotting and coming off hrt cold turkey
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »

Thank you for your reply   However, during the 8 years or so I have been on HRT - I dont think I have had spotting before  - now I am waiting for the crash of meno symptoms again (cry) x