Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Starflower results so far  (Read 32936 times)

Winterose

Re: Starflower results so far
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 11:55:44 AM »

Yes ladies, please keep us updated, thank you

karin

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »

Almost 6 weeks and not a single sweat, sleep is reasonably good ( not as fab as pre peri but better then the last year- i had regular nights with little or no sleep before,  now it takes a while but when i drop off thats it!!)
It has taken 4 weeks coming off the hrt to stop being a crazy hormone monster! And my hair is still horrid- but cant blame the starflower for that 😀

FlorayG

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »

HI
I got the starflower idea from this forum, was having 3-4 hot sweats every night, started on 3,000mg and they disappeared in 3 days. Have now cut down to 2,000mg a day and now have maybe 2-3 hot flushes a WEEK  ;D
It really does work - for  me, anyway

karin

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »

Thats great! How old is everyone? Just trying to see if the results are better in a particular age group? Im 51

tawanda

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 06:44:40 AM »

Started on the starflower two days ago.  Still getting flushes but not as intense. Hoping they suit me better than red clover. whic made me itch, and sneeze a dozen times a day - presumably i was having an allergic reaction though I've never been a hay fever sufferer...

peegeetip

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 12:29:16 PM »

I had mentioned this on a previous post.
We seem to be far more likely to pop supplements, vitamins and minerals without question instead of taking drugs like HRT.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/dec/22/health/he-supp22
http://www.livestrong.com/article/126727-side-effects-starflower-oil/

I'm struggling to see any long term study on this supplement also. ???

I'm going to stick with my HRT.

:-*

FlorayG

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »

I had mentioned this on a previous post.
We seem to be far more likely to pop supplements, vitamins and minerals without question instead of taking drugs like HRT.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/dec/22/health/he-supp22
http://www.livestrong.com/article/126727-side-effects-starflower-oil/

I'm struggling to see any long term study on this supplement also. ???

I'm going to stick with my HRT.
Yeah I read all that first too  ???. Then I tried it anyway because it was on BOGOF at H&B and it works for me. I'm sure it's not placebo because I started on 3,000 mg, reduced to 2,000mg no problem, when I reduced to 1,000mg night sweats came back almost immediately.
Plus, GLA doesn't have any side effects that I know of

peegeetip

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

Hi Floray

great that you feel well on the oil.

Had you not considered HRT at anytime?

Or did your doc say no because your still younger?

For me I went through a lot of unnecessary hoops due to my peri.
My doc seemed to avoid the obvious  :o

:-*

Rowan

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »

Starflower oil also known a borage oil, has many other health benefits too besides hormone balance  http://wholehealthchicago.com/428/borage-oil/

So keep taking it girls and reap the benefits  :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/149219-what-are-the-benefits-of-star-flower-oil/

peegeetip

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »

Sorry silverlady but a bit shocked at the wholehealthchicago link.
More info on that links than I provided.
Glad to see they are so open about that information in relation to this supplement.

Seems almost silly that the docs give us hassle about taking natural estrogen  ::)
But yet any of us can go out and buy these supplements and take as much as we like.
Without realizing what they may contain or do to us.
Also without any concern from our worrisome docs.

Quote from wholehealthchicago
Cautions

Although a possible alternative to evening primrose oil, far less information is available on the safety and effectiveness of borage oil.

Because of the still-unproved but theoretical risk for liver damage posed by the PAs in borage oil, people with liver problems may want to use evening primrose oil instead.

Only use borage oil in high doses or over a number of months if you're under a doctor's supervision. Periodic liver function tests would be a wise precaution.

Because of its unproved but potential health risks, a number of countries disapprove of the use of borage (the oil and herb) as a medical treatment. Others, including Germany, have established standards for the maximum amount of PAs allowed in borage products.

Largely because the risks of using borage oil are still unknown, pregnant or nursing women should avoid this herb.

The stems and leaves of borage herbs are tasty, but they contain relatively high concentrations of toxic PAs; therefore don't consume them in large amounts. And don't rub the herb directly on open cuts or irritated skin.

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 02:22:04 PM »

Most borage ( starflower) supplements are sold PA free.

There is nothing wrong in taking in the prescribed dose.  Starflower supplements are perfectly safe.

"The seeds, flowers and leaves of the borage plant are revealed to have traces of pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs). These can be toxic in high concentrations an can affect the liver. Although the oil may not contain any of these toxins it can be contaminated during extraction and processing of the oil. This is the reason why certain commercial products certify as being free of PAs.  Extra care has to be taken when using the borage plant in its natural form and when it comes to products look for the certification that it contains borage oil and is free of toxins"

Just like the cautions with HRT. you use your discretion.

Not every woman wants to take HRT, just as not every woman wants to take supplements, this just happens to be a thread about women finding that starflower is helping them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:59:19 PM by silverlady »

peegeetip

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »

Hi Silverlady

I'm just posting inline with the topic and the link you posted.
Its good that this is helping some people I've already agreed with that.

However just look for a few of these to buy and you don't see any PA free options mentioned.
Even on the labels.
If they were certified PA free then this would be stated in the packaging and website at least.

In relation to your statement about some ladies don't want to take HRT.
Imho a lot of these ladies are frightened off HRT long before they can get it so that it could do any good.

But we are willing to take other things that are less controlled and tested in comparison to the way we expect of our medicines.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:00:05 PM by peegeetip »

Rowan

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »

A tip for those taking GLA supplements don't forget to balance it out with omega 3s.

wanderersmelody

• First Flush
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

I took Starflower and Evening primrose oil after a hysterectomy at the end of September which plunged me into surgical menopause ( I am 46 years old). I took 2 x 1000mg a day and it definitely helped the sweats but not the insomnia. I am now on Femseven Conti patches and am so bloated and my tummy hurts that I think I am going to go back on the natural medicine, or maybe cut my patch in half and take the starflower oil at the same time? Any thoughts on that (The starflower capsules said 1 - 2 capsules a day).

karin

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »

I believe you can take starflower alongside hrt.
When on hrt patches i slept really well through the estrogen ones but had terrible insommnia when on the progesterone  patches. Im currently a Big fan of starflower and also take a fish oil. Its a personal thing- trial and error so keep trying !!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4