Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 54 and Counting!  (Read 4114 times)

Machair

54 and Counting!
« on: November 01, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »

I wonder if there are any ladies in my situation. 55 next March and still cycling menstrually. I had a long gap yes of almost 11 months but periods returned in May, and ever since I have been hormonal. PMT again now and waiting for another period as had ovulation signs a couple of weeks ago. Not on HRT and wondering when it will all be over.

Are there any ladies out there not on HRT and still in the midst of this and if anyone finished late how old were you?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:51:59 PM by Machair »

Tabbycat

Re: 54 and Counting!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »

;D Oh dear, I read the first sentence of your post and immediately thought, why shouldn't women in their mid-fifties ride a bicycle?

BTW, I'm 52 and think I might still be "cycling" - like you, I had no periods for 11 months but was then put on HRT, which I've just come off to see what (if anything) is happening. I'm convinced I had ovulation pains a couple of weeks ago.

thorntrees

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »

I was 56 when I had my last period and they stayed regular right up to the last one though they did get a bit heavier in the last few months and the only symptom I had was getting a bit warm in the evenings. Other problems such as flushes, night sweats and anxiety came in the 12 months following and have stayed ever since. Now 9 years on the flushes are less than they were, I am not on HRT but do take a low dose AD for the anxiety.Someone once told me(can't remember who) that a late menopause protects the heart and bones for longer, due to still producing oestrogen I suppose.
Everyone is just so different at this stage of life.

Thorntrees

Machair

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »

Thank you so much ladies. Yes Sparkle I have had the premenstrual build up with no period, and the 5am warm time hits me too a lot of the time. I spray myself with Avene thermal water keeping it by the bed, and that seems to cool me off! No actual flushes though like yourself.

Yes Katsclaws I have had long gaps as well as you did, and Thorntrees thank you for your reply- 56 may be my last one too as I was pretty regular up to 53.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »

I'm with tabbycat and sparkle and I was about to post about my mother who only gave up her bicycle at the age of 75, but then I read your post properly and cannot comment as I had a hysterectomy at 38 so I will back respectfully out of your thread Machair.

legojayne

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »

Hi
I am 53 and stopped having periods for 5 months and then they came back with a lot of pain. The last one hasn't been as bad but the dizziness and fading in and out makes me even more anxious and stressed. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 20 years ago followed by anxiety disorder. I have always said there was a link. My doctor at the time said no but I am glad to read that they now think there is a link. The last doctor I saw about my anxiety blamed it all on smoking and drinking. They don't listen to the fact that I only started drinking about 5 years after diagnosis. By the way when I say drinking I mean a couple of doubles a night which helps me sleep.
Sorry I have gone off topic and ranted but am fed up of professionals not listening.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »

I'm 51. I have already had 2 longish gaps of 7-8 months without but then I had a period again. However now I have been without for 9 months. I haven't had a period lasting more than 3 days for at least 2-3 years. Mine reduced from 6 days to 3 more than 5 years ago.

catdude

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »

Going off on a slight tangent, the 5am thing is interesting. I keep waking up around 5am unable to get back to sleep. I hadn't noticed being particularly warm but there may be some kind of hormonal drop/surge around then