Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Periods stopped altogether on Evorel Sequi  (Read 18429 times)

hotstff

Periods stopped altogether on Evorel Sequi
« on: October 30, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »

Hi.
Been on Evorel Sequi for about 5 months (oral hrt for 3 months before that). 

Everything was fine the first 2 months.  I had a period both times - within 3 days of coming off the Progesterone (Evoril Sequi) phase, which is what is supposed to happen.
Then, the 3rd month, I had a period right in the middle of the Oestrogen (Evoril 50) phase.  Now, I haven't had a bleed at all for the last 2 months!
I'm 54, so can't be pregnant!  :o

(I was still having periods when I started HRT about 8 months ago, but they had slowed right down and had started to become a bit erratic, after a lifetime of having very normal periods and no fertility problems.

Any ideas? :-\

Anybody else experienced this?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:01:23 PM by hotstff »

hotstff

Re: Periods stopped altogether on Evorel Sequi
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »

S**! why did I have to find this?  ;D  :'(

it is, of course, extremely rare for a woman to conceive naturally in her 50s. British housewife Dawn Brooke, who was revealed in 1997 to have become the world's oldest natural mother at 59, Iis believed to have been on Hormone Replacement Therapy, which experts said could have triggered the pregnancy.

omg omg omg   Okay, now I need to stop looking on the internet. :o  It's too scary.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »

Haven't you been using any birth control? It's unlikely at your age though although I had the morning after pill at age 54 on the insistence of my GP after a slip-up. Maybe a pregnancy test might be a good idea!!

Taz x

hotstff

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »

Taz

I thought it was impossible to get pregnant at my age! (54).  Years ago, at the age of 35 (after I'd finished having children) I had an abnormal smear and when I had treatment for it, the gynae asked if I planned to have more children, I said no - and he went along with the procedure.
I always assumed it meant I wouldn't be as fertile afterwards.

And now with going through meno, it would be doubly difficult to get pregnant.
So I have been lulled into false sense of security (no birth control used for a while - stupid I know)

Crikey, I hope I'm not - I wouldn't want to make medical history  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »

You wouldn't make medical history - you're too young!!

I would do a test though just to make sure. The likelihood of you being pregnant is very small I would think but better to know. Let us know  how you get on!!

Taz x

hotstff

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »

Okay, latest update. 
I have still had no period whilst taking Evoril Sequi (just low level period pains) - but no bleeding.

I have done a pregnancy test, just in case I'm a medical miracle at 54!  :o  and it is NEGATIVE (did it twice).

So, why am I not getting a bleed?
And why am I getting pains?

(my worry is, that the lining is building up and building up...... but not coming away)
What will happen to it?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:05:26 PM by hotstff »

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:37:02 PM »

I was told that it's not unusual and a small percentage of women don't bleed on a sequi HRT. I think it's about 20%

To be honest if I were you I would go onto a conti. I had the opposite problem as I was spotting all the time. Moved onto Evorel conti and I'm fine.

The lining should not be building up as the progesterone won't let it but why not see your GP and perhaps have a scan just to make sure.

Honeyb
x

carrs

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »

Hi hotstff

I really don't think it's a problem that you have not had a period since evorel sequi. As you said, you have not been having regular periods anyway. The negative preg tests show that the lack of periods are hormone related.

I had the same situation: horrible periods every 3 months, which reduced to almost no periods. I was not sorry, nor worried about pregnancy.

These are powerful hormones ... there is no need for you to change, the treatment unless you have irregular bleeds, or would like the reassurance of a monthly cycle.

Good luck

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »

I agree with honeybun that although some women don't have a bleed on a sequi HRT you should have a scan every so often to put your mind at rest. The womb lining can still build up even though you are using a progesterone I believe. I was on a sequi HRT and having regular bleeding but my womb lining was still slightly over the "normal" limit when I had a scan.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »

I agree with the others. I eventually did not bleed on my sequi HRT after a few years of taking it (when I was on a 28 day cycle).

The bleed at the "wrong" time is presumably your own hormones having a burst and overriding your cycle.

Because norethisterone is a much more powerful progestogen than others, including progesterone, in keeping the lining thin/shedding the lining, it is unlikely to build up during a regular cycle and if it had, it would be likely to be shed after progestogen withdrawal.

However by all means mention to the doc if you are worried and they could suggest a scan at some point. I agree with Taz it would be good to have this done sometime -  once a year anyway although it is not routine on NHS - only if there are problems. On cyclical HRT the thickness varies throughout the cycle so you will get a different result depending on when it happens.

Personally I would not be worried by this at the moment though!

Hurdity x