Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi I am new here and I have some questions  (Read 3077 times)

Shelby

Hi I am new here and I have some questions
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »

Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice?
I have been suffering with peri symptoms for some time, made worse by a pregnancy and miscarriage last year ( age 47) to cut a long story short I have been taking the mini pill (Micronor) for over a year and my GP has suggested that I give HRT a try. She has prescribed a low dose of Prempak C ( which I have yet to start). To take along side the Micronor.
This to me seems a bit odd as surely I will be doubling up on Progesterone? Unless, which of course is quite likey I am misunderstanding how both of these tabs work.
So is there anyone out there on the same combination? Or is there someone " in the know" who could explain to me how they work together I would be very grateful.
I am very hopeful that the HRT a route works as I am so fed up of feeling soon lousy...
Big hugs to everyone experiencing the same crappy time.
Love S

Dancinggirl

Re: Hi I am new here and I have some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »

Hi and welcome  to MM Shelby
Sorry to hear about the miscarriage - very tough.
I agree with you about combining the two treatments - very odd!!!! Have you had issues with excessive bleeding? Sometimes Micronor is given to stop bleeding.
I would have thought it would be better to just use the Prempac C. Perhaps get back to the GP to clarify?  It's a shame the GP has given you the old fashioned type of HRT (it happens to be the cheapest!!!) - it does suit some women but the progesterone part can be an issue for many women.  Femoston is  good one to try if Prempac doesn't suit you - it has a kinder progesterone.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of the screen.
Keep posing. Dg x

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:17:06 PM »

Hi

The mini pill is a contraceptive and does not provide enough protection against endometrial growth to be used in opposition to the oestrogen.  For this, you would need to be on a combined pill, which has much, much higher levels of progestogen.

Therefore, you have to be prescribed a combined hrt. http://cks.nice.org.uk/contraception-assessment#!scenario:4

Mirena IUS has enough progestogen because it in the uterus.  Cerazette (a higher dose minipill) may have enough but cannot yet be prescribed this way.

The two preparations you have been prescribed have two different sorts of progestogen.  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Shelby

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »

Thank you for the replies xx

The Micronor hasnt reduced bleeding as such, well I shudder to think what it would be like without it then. As I am having a seven day period, not excessive, but still a full seven day proper period. But the spaces in between are varying, gone are the regular 28 day cycles...sigh...

Thank you for the reply explaining that there are different types of Progesterone, that makes more sense..

I guess I can only try and see how I get on. Finger crossed that 'the old me" returns. I am not liking the way I am at present, and I just want my life back!

Thank you once a gain for you comments and apologies if I have put my post in the wrong section. I only realised there was a section for newbies after I had posted doh!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »

Hi shelby

Just to say  :welcomemm: and I can't really add anything to what's been said although personally in your situation I would want to simplify things. As dahliagirl says if you had a Mirena coil that would act as a contraceptive as well as progestogenic opposition to added oestrogen, and also eventually would prevent the really heavy bleeds. You could then add in an oestrogen patch or gel to help alleviate your menopausal symptoms.

Hurdity x

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »

Hi
Just reading this post I'm 44 was classed as peri meno over a year ago, first GP told me to carry on taking mini pill and gave me Elleste duet 1mg was ok for 3 months then started palpitations and few other things, went to another GP who is clued up on menopause and she told me I should have never been taking mini pill and combined HRT together I would have to use non hormone based coil with combined HRT or use mirena coil as progesterone and separate oestrogen. I'm now on Femoston 1mg and non hormone based coil and feel good, had bleed first 3 months but nothing the past 3 although that's nothing to worry about, maybe you should ask for that