Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Help please!  (Read 18777 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help please!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »

Ancient Runner - thanks for your responses  :)

Sarai - 66 is no age is it.  Were you with your Mum during this time?  Certainly talking to someone who deals with cancer/patients/nursing might ease your constant worrying.  Could you contact Macmillan Nurses for advice, they may have a support system, or 'backup' charity? 

I had years when I had no relief from my phobia, as I would have nightmares  :'(

Sarai

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 02:41:40 PM »

Ancient runner, I did not have cancer as it turns out but had a series of invasive tests and surgery over a 3 month period just to discover I had the all clear. At that point my mind just collapsed. My gp knows I was put forward for CBT in February and am still waiting. I know I'm in a mess but have no way out that I can see.

Sarai

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »

CKLD no 66 is too young. And I thought she was healthy too, she lived 7 weeks from diagnosis, I was with her every day and at the end. I'm an only child. I have fretted a lot since wondering what cancer she had but they weren't interested in finding out.
I have no idea about talking to somebody as CBT list is months long here and I guess so man things including hormones are attacking me. A counsellor won't be interested in hormones.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »

Why on Earth do you say that  ::) - regardless of what the causation of anxiety etc. is, a fully trained Psychologist or Counsellor will do their best to listen, make suggestions as to what to expect short/long term and may well give you home work  ;D - mine did and she knew when I hadn't bothered  ::)

I would ring your GP to find out where the sessions will take place then contact their Office to see how long you will have to wait and put yourself forwards for a cancellation too.  In the meantime there are relaxation CDs etc.

Someone would have known which cancer caused your Mum to die …….. is *your* GP aware?

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 06:12:36 PM »

At present I am continuing with the nightly application of estriol, and using serenity cream (progesterone) to oppose the oestrogen. I will see how I go with this for a few months I think xx

Hi Lisajp

Just to say you do not need to oppose vaginal oestrogen with progesterone!  Very little oestrogen gets into the blood stream with vaginal oestrogen and has almost no effect on the endometrium - only in very rare cases.

In addition the estrogen in the cream you are using is called estriol, not estradiol and is 7 to 8 times weaker than estradiol in its effects on estrogen (alpha - I think) receptors - so it will have even less effect on the system.

Don't waste your money on the progesterone cream and I hope your symptoms improve  :)

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, but I have been using serenity for some time, about three years, and I do think it helps with other things a bit, like brain fog and anxiety, although I have found since having had no periods at all from last August, that ALL my menopausal symptoms have worsened and been difficult to handle 😟

Dancinggirl

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »

Lisajp
Your symptoms will be worsening because your oestrogen levels are dropping more now.  They should bottom out over the next year or two but hopefully symptoms may start to subside after that but if things get too much then full HRT is the answer. DG x

Ljp

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »

Thank you dancing girl x

SallyG

Re: Help please! thank you for this thread. Please say hello
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 06:07:35 AM »

I have been resisting posting for a couple of days because I was feeling a bit invisible. But I just want to say 'thank you' to all of you. I get so much relief from this site when I read the posts and understand that other women are going through exactly the same as me.
Thanks again Sally G

peegeetip

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 09:05:30 AM »

Hi Lisa

do you drink alcohol?

The reason I ask is that for ladies using alcohol it is much more detrimental than using HRT.

Its just our doc's don't see the alcohol as the same "demon" as HRT.
They certainly don't warn us that alcohol is much worse for breast health whether we take HRT or not!

Hope that helps put things in context?

:-*

diva

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »

Hi Lisajp,
I have read this thread with great interest.
I am terrified of cancer too and always swore I would not take HRT because menopause is a 'natural' (as someone has already mentioned) thing that is supposed to happen to your body. However, this was before my symptoms really kicked in.  Now I feel so awful and there are so many things wrong with me that I am feeling like the pros outweigh the cons. I have two years before I can take early retirement and I just can't see how I can get through them like this.

It is difficult to make an informed decision since nobody talks about the menopause (nobody I know anyway!). But reading the posts here and reading up research online, I am now wondering if it is any more dangerous that taking the pill when younger - or drinking as peegeetip mentioned.

My mother never took HRT and sailed through whereas my mother in law did take HRT and had a horrible time. I guess it is an individual thing but if there is something out there that will make me feel human again and give me some quality years back I think I am going to give it a try.

Hope you continue to feel better.

peegeetip

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »

Hi Diva

do you like alcohol? If your having such a hard time in the run up to retiring then I'm sure like me you might like a glass of wine or two etc.

So why the fear on HRT in comparson ???

We often ignore those things that do us more harm to the detriment to other things like HRT that do more good.

Last year someone posted that their friend had tried to convince her about the ills and dangers of HRT whilst puffing away on a cigarettes?! Hypocritic, stupid, unhelpful or all three ?!

I'm sure the stress your mind and body are going thru without HRT are much worse for you in the long term also.

No one seems to want to consider the other side of our lives and how that might put us in more danger than HRT.

:-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:05:26 AM by peegeetip »

Ljp

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2015, 11:46:38 AM »

Thank you all for the replies, it's true we must get it into context in our minds re the risks, of HRT, let's be honest, 'natural' or herbal remedies, may indeed carry just as many risks for all we know? Just because they are derived from plants, doesn't necessarily mean they are only doing good, or what they may do with long term use.

I'm having a bad hormonal day today, with my anxiety and paranoia and feeling rubbish at everything, just feel so sad, and flat, like where have I disappeared to? When will I ever feel normal again?… can HRT help with all the depression and anxiety?… is it a cure all? Or does it just open up a different lot of problems to deal with? Like migraines, weight gain? and periods?.. :(

peegeetip

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »

Hi Lisa

I know its helped me since starting and yes I do feel much better with myself.

"Like migraines, weight gain? and periods?"

Just to answer those points you make.

Headaches for years through peri and doc didnt have a clue. Now that I'm on HRT, I still get headaches now and again but thats just normal run of the mill. So its helped me a lot there.

Weight gain is just a myth. I think most of us are gaining before we reach for HRT. My weight rose without fail till I started HRT and now I've stabilized since starting, feel much better and don't feel I have to watch everything I'm eating now.

Periods. Well I don't have to guess anymore, which was a real pain when they were miles apart. Since HRT the periods are much easier to deal with for me. Initial 2-3 months was more painful and bit longer than usual but after that initial "body getting used to them again" part, things have been much much better.

I did try to get on the tridestra which gives 1 period every 3 months but doc told me a load of rubbish on that. Sometimes wonder if I should swap over but to be honest being back to normal seems to suit me so much more than the peri (near meno) me :) ???

:-* :-*

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:39:55 PM by peegeetip »

pepperminty

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »

Hi , I had symptoms before HRT and that's why I went on it. I am better on it than off it at the moment, not perfect , but I wasn't before. It does help ladies with menopausal / hormonal depression. Personally I think it's worth a go for quality of life .

Peppermintyxx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4