Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Holiday home advice neede  (Read 8041 times)

honeybun

Holiday home advice neede
« on: October 28, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »

Need your thoughts ladies.

We are in our holiday house this week and it is lovely. But. When we arrived we were met by the owner. I did not take to her at all. I got a lecture about using coasters on tables.  Really, did I need that. Anyway

This place is not cheap and I have paid a fifty pound housekeeping deposit. I was looking at the visitor information book and the owner wants guests to hoover and strip the beds before they leave. Hubby says no way as we have paid a lot of money.  Am worried that if I don't she will hang onto my deposit.
She even pointed out a small area that my dog was allowed to pee on. This woman is picky in extreme measures. I am now a bit paranoid about what we do in here. I have never leFt a holiday home in a mess as that's just not what I do.

Thoughts appreciated ladies. What do I do

Honeyb
X

Limpy

Re: Holiday home advice neede
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »

It's easy enough to strip the beds, but hoovering seems a bit much.
Mind you, neither seem to fit in with the end to a relaxing holiday.

Is there anything:
- About the house that would warrant criticism?
- On Trip Advisor about the house or owner?

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »

Hi HB, we've been to many holiday homes in many countries. Some owners include the final cleaning in the price/night. Some don't and list a separate price for final cleaning. Some require a cleaning deposit, i.e if we want, we can clean and take our money back. If we dont want to be bothered, then we know the deposit will not be paid back. So it is a choice which I like. We have never cleaned BTW. I do enough cleaning at home anyway.

Good luck in sorting this out.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »

It's annoying that you didn't know before you booked the place but, in this instance, I feel you have no choice but to do as asked unless you want to lose your fifty quid. I've just come back from a three night stay in an apartment with similar rules but this was made clear on the booking form so I didn't mind doing it. I had to pay a £100 damage deposit too.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »

I've had to clean in the past, but would have anyway. But it should have been made clear at time of booking.  Surely if she's charged £50 for housekeeping that should be her job after you've left. She's maybe had less than tidy customers in the past.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »

It said when I booked that the fifty quid was for exceptional cleaning costs. I have always left a place clean. There are only the two of us and we are tidy and out most of the day any way. There was no mention of bed stripping and hoovering. That's what I'm here for.  No housework.

The farmhouse is just beautiful. If I was going to be picky then my complaints would be only one loo roll in the house.  There were four of us here at the weekend. Only one kitchen roll and no dishwasher tabs. Also we can't control when the heating comes on and goes out, again not mentioned before we booked.

Hubby is going to moan either way. If I strip the beds he will complain but if I don't get my money back he may complain more lol

I might hoover the living room as its got a carpet but not the stairs or bedroom, it simply won't need doing.

Honeyb
X

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

We have stayed in so many holiday homes and all homes and all owners are different. Some we would never return to and others we have been to more than once.  We always book through Welcome or Classic Cottages and only twice have we had to raise a complaint with the company.

That said we always hoover and strip beds before we leave as it says in terms and conditions that house should be left as we find it, after all any mess is mess we have caused and it is not a hotel, but can't remember ever having to pay a housekeeping deposit.

Some owners are pickier than others but on the whole they are welcoming.  Sorry to hear that you did not take to yours honeybun.

thorntrees

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »

We usually book through Premier Cottages and owners do vary in what they ask. We have sometimes paid a damage deposit and always had it returned. I usually put all the used towels in the bath so they can see which have been used and make sure the loo's and kitchen are as I would like to find them. I don't hoover though unless we actually drop something or make particular mess! Once or twice we've been met by owners who seem a bit offhand and as if they are doing you a favour by letting you stay instead of the other way round. You could mention it on trip advisor to warn other people and of course not stay there again. Hope it works out and doesn't spoil your stay.

Thorntrees

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »

If we took the dog I cleaned thoroughly so that there counld't be a complaint.  Hoovering after she was loaded into the car last thing. 

However: 1 place we rented regularly wasn't cleaned between clients/students.  We went in 1 year and my dog went straight into the settee and jumped out with a cooked pork bone!  :o ……. and some of her dried food which I had thrown on the busy-patterned carpet for her to hunt for, was under the Welsh dresser from the previous year!

As for telling you were your dog should pee that's taking things too far.  I read one Edition of 'pets welcome' and 1 entry stated 'dogs must remain in the porch area' - not welcome there then?  I NEVER book via an agency because the Fees can almost doulbe the rental cost.  I always deal directly with the property owners via Pets Welcome or web-site.

Did you book this through an agency, if so make a comment about her being picky.  I would expect my 'deposit' returned regardless, if you have paid a housekeeping fee then it is up to the owner to arrange cleaning.  An owner explained to me that the reason owners want people to strip beds is so that they know which beds/towels/sheets have been used …….. particularly in a multi-roomed property.

'exceptional' cleaning  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »

It said when I booked that the fifty quid was for exceptional cleaning costs. I have always left a place clean. There are only the two of us and we are tidy and out most of the day any way. There was no mention of bed stripping and hoovering. That's what I'm here for.  No housework.

The farmhouse is just beautiful. If I was going to be picky then my complaints would be only one loo roll in the house.  There were four of us here at the weekend. Only one kitchen roll and no dishwasher tabs. Also we can't control when the heating comes on and goes out, again not mentioned before we booked.

Might be worth mentioning the loo, kitchen roll and dishwasher tabs situation HB, before things get snotty, hopefully they won't.

You are there for a holiday, leave things clean like you always do, but there was no mention of bed stripping and hoovering when you booked. I would say make that clear at first opportunity to see how the land lies. Hope you have a relaxing time.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »

I booked direct with the owner although the farmhouse is advertised through varios agencies. She is just very picky. She says dogs are welcome. In fact two small dogs allowed. But they are not allowed here there and really anywhere. My dog does not cast and is tiny. She sleeps in the bedroom with us in her own bed. She is not allowed on my bed at home and just because I'm away makes no difference. I have stripped the beds in the room that the kids slept in tonight so I'm half way there
There is a visitors comments book so I'm considering but when you pay as much as I have then you expect a few basics. This is the first holiday house I have had in years that did not have a welcome tray. All I really wanted was a pint of mild so I could have a cuppa. I really like the house but I won't come back to it.

Honeyx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »

We had to leave a property earlier than planned and the owner's daughter came round to check and tried to charge twice for the dog  :o - after that I never paid extra to take the dog anywhere, they didn't charge extra for kids so why my dog  :cuss:

What you doing today Honeybun?

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »

Aberfoyle this morning and Stirling after lunch CLKD. Not going to the castle though as we did that a couple of years ago. Lots of other historic things to see though

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »

Enjoy!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »

The cleaning does seem a bit weird - I can sort of understand the bed-stripping but hoovering???  We used Owners Direct for our recent stay in Fuerteventura and the couple that owned it couldn't hve been more pleasant and helpful.  We did have a good tidy round before we left but no more than I would have done at home before going away for a couple of days.  I would leave a comment somewhere so that others can see it after you......