Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How do you like to sleep  (Read 13200 times)

honeybun

How do you like to sleep
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »

On holiday just now and have discovered something about myself.  Ooooo. Don't make it too dark. We are in a farmhouse, beautiful location with wonderful views. But come night time it is very very dark.   As in no outside light at all. The darkest dark I have ever known. Hubby and son had no problem, daughter and I did not like at all. Last night I had to sleep with the landing light on, just to have a little light in the bedroom. Never bothered me before but as my daughter said, she likes to tell the difference between eyes open and eyes shut. Not sure I like total blackness at all.   And I have to  take the dog out later. Scarey and going to make hubby come with me.

Light or total darkness.  What's your choice?

Honeyx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How do you like to sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »

I was raised in the Fens so not much light pollution there.  I was OK sleeping anywhere until I became deeply depressed, so since 1991 I have had the landing light on. When going away I take those small 'landing' plug-in lights for sockets - so that I can at least see my way to the bathroom!

Dark per se doesn't bother me unless I hear a noise ……… but I can sit outside star gazing if it isn't too cold.

Your dog will know if there's anything odd outside!  My Man sleeps anywhere  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »

Know what you mean. If we're away anywhere & it's total darkness I have to leave a light on. Did it on holiday this year. Just a chink of light, but just enough to take away from total darkness.

If I'm not feeling too well or on my own,  I use an orange glow plug in. It helps.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:44 PM »

My night lights are in the shapes of an elephant or a butterfly  ::) - good old Mothercare  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »

Just don't like it this dark. Its sort of feelyour way around. Dog not that keen either lol. Where our bedroom is, its down three stairs across a landing and then upp three stairs to the bathroom. Not negotiable in the dark.  It was better last night when I left the landing light on. Its the blackest of pitch dark here. Now if the sky was clear then the stars would be wonderful but its raining and I have decided I am a big coward.

Pretty dark right now and my big brave hubby is....anyone like to take a guess....yep sleeping

Honeyb
X

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »

I'm a bad sleeper and I love total darkness. I love it in France with the shutters closed. I get annoyed if there's even a slight bit of light coming through. But I always have a little torch next to the bed which I can easily reach.

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »

Our house is very dark.
If I need  to get up in the night, loo trips, I have to have a torch.

Meggie

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »

Total darkness suits me fine - don't like light pollution, not used to it at all but got to get used to it !!

Meggie

dulciana

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »

I find it hard to get to sleep if it's not completely dark and hard to relax in the evenings if it's light until late.  For that reason, I prefer winter to summer.

Winterose

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:51 AM »

i like total darkness too, have nightlights in corridors for guests but sleep best when pitch dark. They say if you can see your hand in fron t of your face the bedroom is too light that is if you are a bad sleeper,

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »

There are no street lights here. We live in a bungalow, so use a glow light near the bathroom, as it is very dark. Have gained a few bruises negotiating round the wooden bedstead in complete darkness though! :o

Scampi

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »

I like a bit of light - I'm a little scared of the dark, especially when I'm on my own (as I am often during the week as hubby works away).  I really must get a night light, as I have a bad habit of leaving hubby's side bed-side lamp on overnight if I wake in a panic (I have a vivid imagination when it's dark, and it's not condusive to sleep!).

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »

I am a light sleeper and prefer darkness. We have blinds and curtains. There is a house with a security light opposite and if we don't close the blinds it comes on and illuminates our whole bedroom and that will wake me up.

bramble

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »

I always have the hall light on. Can't sleep in the dark. My imagination runs riot!
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »

When DH was working away I had 2 kittens to keep me company.  I always left the landing light on.  One night they crept onto the bed but of course the light was behind them  ;D - as they approached my pillow their shadows got bigger and bigger and ……… even they jumped  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4