Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Why Do I Suddenly Feel Completely Normal Again?  (Read 2795 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Why Do I Suddenly Feel Completely Normal Again?
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »

Long story short, I am 44 and a year ago my periods (though still regular) got much lighter and my PMS got much worse . Got sudden anxiety and mood swings.

GP started me on Sertraline, which I reacted badly to. Swapped me to amitriptyline which worked but made me groggy and put on weight. Periods still regular but much lighter, PMS better.

Found this site and got suspicious about being peri menopausal causing my problems (very early menopause runs in the family). My GP dismissed my worries, so I tried another who took me seriously and referred me to a menopause clinic. Whilst waiting for my appointment I tried weaning myself off the amitriptyline twice. Very slowly. Both times the anxiety and mood swings came back quickly.

At my appointment the gynaecologist diagnosed me as peri menopausal because of my symptoms and family history (even though my blood tests were normal). Asked me to come back in 3 months for bone scan and for oestrogen patches etc.

6 weeks ago I ran out of my amitriptyline. So, I just stopped (I know you should never do that, but my dose was quite low) and I haven't taken it since. I feel absolutely fine. No anxiety or mood swings. My periods still regular but very light. PMS barely noticeable. I have lost all the weight I gained. I feel back to normal. In fact I feel better than I have done in quite a few years.

What has happened? Does anyone know? I see my gynaecologist next week for the bone scan and then she will prescribe treatment, but I don't feel I need anything at all. It's like these last 10 months have just been a really bad dream.

I don't know what to say to my gynaecologist? I fought so hard for this referra, and at times I felt so low I wanted to walk under a bus. But now I feel like a fraud. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what is going on?

catlady

Re: Why Do I Suddenly Feel Completely Normal Again?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »

Hi
It sounds like you were suffering side effects from the amitryptiline.
I was on them years ago and they turned me into a zombie.

Hope you continue to feel better.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »

Hi. Yes, the amitriptyline definitely had side effects. But, my symptoms before taking it were very real and now they have just disappeared. Can I suddenly stop being peri menopausal, does anyone know? I can't have passed through the menopause because my periods are still regular just very light.

But all the horrible anxiety, and mood dips have just gone. Virtually overnight. I don't understand?

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »

neither do I but you are very lucky.  Enjoy this while it lasts, wish mine would go away.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »

Peri is a time of fluctuating hormones which is why women can go almost a year without periods and then have them start up quite regularly again for a few more years so it is quite plausible that you will have times when you do feel much better. I would discuss all of this at your appointment and maybe you will be given HRT to take if symptoms return. In the meantime make the most of feeling well again.

Taz x