Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Coming off Prempak c - any advice  (Read 7845 times)

sweaty betty

• First Flush
Coming off Prempak c - any advice
« on: October 16, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »

This is my first time post and hello to you all – I hope I have posted it right!
I visited my doctor earlier this year for advice regarding HRT and whether I could take it.  I've now been on Prempak c for about 5 months.  Initially they stopped the debilitating flushes which were coming every 30 minutes and all through the night – I felt loads better. However, I was at first very wary of going on the Prempak as my family history includes my mother, 1 sister and grandmother all having had breast cancer and both my brother and mother had 4 heart attacks between them so I did not think it a good idea but he reassured me this wouldn't be a problem…..

Since starting the Prempak I switched to a different doctor who I found more sympathetic; she was less enthusiastic about me taking hrt at all, however, when I tried to see her again I was told that she has recently left the surgery and so I'm stuck with the previous doctor (who has a less than understanding reputation generally I might add). 

I have now started suffering really crushing anxiety attacks out of the blue – of course, this may not be caused by the Prempak but I am considering coming off them.

I don't know if it's a good idea to just stop them and wondered if there was anyone here who knew a way of tailing them off gradually.  I did read somewhere that you take one every second day for the first month and then one on the third day for a month but what do you do on the days with 2 pills to take?  I don't feel I can go back to the original doctor for advice :-(

Sorry this post is rather long.  Any replies would be greatly appreciated -
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:29:37 PM by sweaty betty »

Limpy

Re: Coming off Prempak c - any advice
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »

Hi SB - Your post isn't long at all.

Sadly I'me not familiar with Prempak - To me what you suggest seems reasonable but I have no clue about the 2 pills bit.  Hopefully somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon to advise.

Do you want to try another type of HRT (green menu on left has useful info) or stop completely?

BTW - Welcome to the forum.

:welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »

Hi and welcome sweaty betty
I'm afraid your GP put you on the oldest type of HRT which is not bio identical - it also happens to be the cheapest which is why so many GPs still prescribe it. It often brings some nasty side effects - particularly PMT type symptoms which would explain how you were feeling.
With your family history of various health issues you would probably be better with the transdermal route of HRT.  This could be patches with a combined dosage of oestrogen and progesterone or  a separate combination of Utrogestan as the progesterone part and oestrogen in gel or patch form - this regime is favoured by many on this site. Utrogeston (micronised progesterone) is bio identical so is the same as our own hormones and is now described as "breast friendly"!!!!
Sadly too many GPs are not up to speed on HRT and it's important that you get clued up so you can try to gently lead the GP in the right direction.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen - particularly the section about HRT Preparations.  You may need to print things off to show the GP.
DG x

sweaty betty

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »

Many thanks for your helpful replies Dancing Girl and Limpy and thanks for the warm welcome. 
I'm not surprised to hear that that particular GP put me on the oldest type - he has a 'get them out of my surgery as quick as possible' reputation and doesn't really listen! Since posting my message last week I have now starting having a heavy 'bleed' - I say bleed rather than period because it did not come at the right time i.e. when you remove the second pill, so I don't know what to make of it.  I have decided to wait and see if it stops and if not then I am going to see the locum temporary doctor as she is my only option at present.  I must say that my experiences together with my family history make me inclined to want to come off  hrt altogether.  I realise it's great if it works for you but I think it has put me off so I've not read up on the alternative ones yet.  I will just have to wean myself off gradually I think - any advice would be most welcome.

This site is very helpful and has made me feel less 'alone' with my menopause problems.  Many thanks again

sb

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:51:29 AM »

Hi sweaty betty

:welcomemm: from me too

Just to add also that current evidence is that HRT is protective against heart diesease and the breast cancer stats have been revised.

Here is an article about it all published the other day and where Dr Currie herself ( the founder of this site) discusses menopause and using HRT.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2800760/should-women-hrt-menopause-experts-say-s-best-way-ease-symptoms-avoid-long-term-health-problems.html

If you decide you want to continue maybe try to ask for a referral to a menopause clinic if there is one near you or if you can find a different doctor in the practice?

Hurdity x