Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Why do small problems become BIG stresses.  (Read 7311 times)

rosebud57

Why do small problems become BIG stresses.
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »

Just had a pig of an afternoon.  Telephone and broadband both went down.  I assumed it was due to the strong winds.  Rang BT on my mobile just to be sure, and a line check found no fault.  'It must be the line in the house' I was told. 

Doing a OU course at the moment, and need to send an essay electronically by midday Thursday, so went into a panic.  Our PC is not wireless, so spent about two hours finding and trying different phone cables.  Eventually got both the phone and broadband working.

Now I feel like I've been in a hurricane, just because of one small problem.  Is this meno or pure insanity.  Where are the men in white coats.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Why do small problems become BIG stresses.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »

We rely far too much on internet !

OU should be able to give you a dispensation if your broadband goes down, something you should check with your Tutor. 

I have moments when I mutter "I can't cope" and DH asks why, then I can't tell him: for me it's a feeling of being totally overwhelmed  :-\

Hey ho! you got connected!   :medal: If that had happened to me my laptop would have been off Beachy Head!

rosebud57

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »

Thank you CLKD, have ask for an extension, just in case it goes pop again.  Number 2 son just came home with chocolate.  Feel better now.

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »

Telephone and broadband both went down.  I assumed it was due to the strong winds.  Rang BT on my mobile just to be sure, and a line check found no fault.  'It must be the line in the house' I was told. 

Rosebud - It's horrible when this happens. We've had this many times, getting, "the fault is on your property". Along with the warnings about having to pay if the fault is in your equipment. They also came out with that one when lightening had taken out a pole a mile away! It's always been a fault with the the BT network.

With luck your fault will be sorted out soon. Be prepared for Kafka like conversations with BT / India in the meantime.

CLKD - "We rely far too much on internet !"
Well I do, but my nearest neighbour is quarter of a mile away, and the nearest (tiny) shop about two miles, along a very steep hill. That's my excuse and I'me sticking to it.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:07:39 PM »

It's not just the OU that requires students to submit online. My daughter's course along with every other university relies on the internet.

Think it's called modern technology  ::)

We have a had a few panics here with submissions.....scary stuff.

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:10:37 PM by honeybun »

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »

I know what you mean. I can't get back to sleep due to worrying about stupid small problems, then getting angry at myself for not sleeping because of worrying about stupid small problems  ::)
I've had a run-in with a rude, too casual plumber who installed our new boiler system. We've had 3 leaks and lots of arguments. It's trivial. It's now (I hope) sorted, but it got me totally agitated.
I don't think I used to overreact quite so badly, but then I was more anxious about other things. Worrier Woman.
hope your BB stays up and you get the assignment in.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:45:01 AM »

I have a strange experience in that spending too long on the internet increases any feelings of anxiety and tension I may have so I limit the amount I use it to several small visits a day.  Then one day a week my husband and I do not turn the laptops on for 24 hours and have a totally internet free day when we spend time doing things together and always go out somewhere.

I have always been a person who over reacts until a small issue becomes a much larger stress. Mountains out of molehills, that's me.  I do find that offloading the worry helps put it in perspective and for that I am thankful to this forum and members who will always receive whatever is troubling me.  thank you.

rosebud57

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »

Good news.  Husband does not want to re-track the replacement telephone cable around newly  painted hall doors (from phone point in hall to non-wifi PC).  The old faulty cable went under the flooring.  So upshot is he is buying a new computer (with wifi) so modem can go in the hall.  Hope your following this!!

Only downside is stress of installing new PC.  I can't win.

(Need to buy it quick before he realizes how much they cost)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:32:55 AM by rosebud57 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »

;D …….. don't you have a birthday soon  ;)