Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pet Question.  (Read 10511 times)

honeybun

Pet Question.
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »

Years ago I asked a dog related question on the forum and got great advice so I'm back for another try.

I have a little Bichon. She is coming up on 12 but is in good health. Problem is she is a licker and she has a hot spot on her back leg again that she has licked raw.

I currently have a cone on her as every bandage I put on she gets off. What can I do to help this heal and keep her away from it. I did buy one of the sprays that is supposed to deter them because of the bitter taste....She loved it  ::)

I don't really want to go to the vet as you rarely come out without having spent a fortune and this is an on going problem.

Any thoughts ladies please.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pet Question.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »

What are you feeding her on?  Our cocker had raw ginger in some of her meals and a garlic capsule every night, OK until she bit on the capsule  :D  :-X ……..

Sometimes certain breeds develop 'hot spots', JRs have habits of licking their paws  ::)  Westies are known to have 'allergic' skin. 

Maybe cooked chicken with rice and veg for a month to see if the symptoms ease?  No biscuits as often they have 'additives' which can cause problems.  Raw veg in stead of 'treats'?  No chemical treatments, i.e. Frontline as these can cause problems too.

There is also the 'scratch/itch' syndrome which can be eased by a steroid injection, particularly for cats with allergy to flea saliva.

My fee is ……….  ;D ………

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »

I had an American Cocker Spaniel who used to lick her paws all the time and also lick areas till she got hot spots.  I think some dogs just have very sensitive itchy skin. Unfortunately the only thing I could do was put the lampshade on her till the hot spots had heeled. She got really used to wearing the lampshade cone but used to bash us in the back of our legs all the time - very painful sometimes.
DG x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »

Grass seeds can settle between the toes too. 

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »

Hi HB,
My sister had a Labrador and the same problem. She always swore by TCP and savlon cream which worked better than anything the vet gave her.
Our niece works with animals and recommended it to her
Sounds daft, but sometimes the simplest of things work.  PN x x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »

TCP ointment or liquid?  Would vinegar work ……… if it doesn't sting the hot spot.  I swear by Savlon  ;)

purplenanny

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »

Liquid TCP in warm water as a wash then Savlon on top .  Not sure about vinegar :-\

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 04:03:49 PM »

:thankyou:  I love the smell of TCP  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »

Problem is I can't change her diet. She has bladder problems....as a lot of us do....She develops crystals in her urine and it leads to infection and cystitis. She is on a prescription diet that helps her bladder so I'm stumped there.

She has always been the same. She had surgery as. young dog as she dislocated her knee cap. Fluxating patella I think it was called. She started to lick the bottom of the foot that was not plastered and in one night stripped all the hair off her foot. Took months to grow back.

I'm at my wits end with her.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »

Our cat had special diet for the same thing …… fortunately he liked it!

Could she need her anal glands emptying?  Sometimes pets displacement clean if they can't scratch the itch elsewhere.  Or perhaps a steroid injection would take some of the irritation out of her skin?

There isn't a mite in there, mine had sarcastic mange mite and it took ages to diagnose.

Millykin

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »

My cat had a hot spot I put manuka honey on it as it was looking very raw and I thought it might get infected, it dine the trick and hasn't appeared back quite soothing.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »

Does her food have omega oils? When I put my Spaniel on Iams her skin improved enormously - I think it is because it has Omega oils in it - I now won't feed my dogs anything else. You could give her fish oil in her food as a supplement - you can get liquid fish oils for children that may be ok.  Dg x

tiger74

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »

I know it's not a cheap option, especially with chronic conditions, but I would say that a visit to the vet really is the best option.  Is she insured?  If so, you may be able to claim vets expenses in connection with this condition.   

At the end of the day, I'm sure you realise that when your dog is licking raw skin it's with the same tongue that she may have recently employed to lick her bottom so infection is a distinct possibility.

I work at a vets so I am biased of course.  All the qualified staff there warn against using products (medication, supplements and topical preparations) designed for humans on animals - this is not motivated by wanting a fee for a consultation and pet medication but by genuine concern for people's pets.  I have seen pets come into the surgery having been inadvertently poisoned by well-meaning owners - in these cases there is not always a good outcome  :(

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »

She does have a fish oil supplement and has had since she was tiny. Her food choice....I have no option as it reduces struvite crystals I her bladder, so no peeing blood. I'm very careful what I feed her.

Yes although it costs me a flamin fortune she is insured. It's always the same though....the excess on the policy is £70 and treatment always fall's below that.
I don't treat her myself except for bathing it and making sure it's dry.

Think I will probably end up at the vets this time.....although I will still wait a wee while yet.
Bichons are famous for this as are Retreivers.....guess what I had before this little one  ::)
She is such a sweetheart, and for an old girl she is still full of beans. There is not one single day goes by that she does not make me laugh. She is still full of nonsense . I just want her to be comfortable.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »

However, many of those products are for human use as well ............ I've heard all the excuses for not using them on pets so many I could write a book !

Honey of any kind won't do any harm excpet she may lick it off to get more  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3