Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: increasing HRT  (Read 5759 times)

moonbeam121167

increasing HRT
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »

Hi ladies  just been told that my estrogen levels are very low by the consultant, even though I am on Estradot 100mg, he says I need to either add another patch Oestrogel twice a day or go back on the pill at 2mg, dont really know what to do,  came off the pill as I have IBS, has any of you nice ladies have any advice

thanks

honeybun

Re: increasing HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »

As you have tummy issues then stay away from pills.

If I were you I would try gel. That way you can tweak the dose up or down till you feel better.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »

Honeybun, thats what I thought, not sure what the gel is like to use, I get on well with the patch but scared  of sticking 2 x 100mg on in case its too much, I have made an appointment to see my GP next week to talk about what one to try and he is all for the pills which I was on before the patch and didnt find that helped either x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »

I'm not on gel but lots,are and find it very very good.

From what I have read you rub it in to arms or legs and let it dry.

Has the advantage of being easy to adjust unlike a patch.

Too much oestrogen makes me feel very shaky. This way you could build up gradually till you get used to things.
If you explain this to your GP then hopefully you will be able to try it.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »

Did your consultant tell you what your reading was?  It would be worth finding out. Also one blood test does not necessarily tell you what your estradiol levels are all the time as these do vary.

The most important thing is how you are feeling. Do you feel that your present regime is not controlling your symptoms? If so then an increase could be tried. No way would one go from 100 mcg to 200 mcg patch. As honeybun says you would increase gradually. If it were me, I would add a 25 mcg patch for a month or so and see how I felt.

If you do not have symptoms then I'm not sure why the consultant has advised an increase?

Hurdity x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »

Hurdity, no he never said what they were just they were very low still, yes I have been having problems still hence the blood test,  he was shocked at how low it was as I am on 100mg as it is, I am due to change tomorrow so maybe I will put a 100mg and cut another in 1/4 , I am not seeing the GP till Thursday  but cant see the harm of trying the increase tomorrow can you, it maybe be enough to help x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »

Just a thought - are your patches staying on well? It's baffling that 100mg patch isn't giving enough oestrogen and I wonder if it's absorbing properly?  DG x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »

Hi not sure, they stick very well , I put them on my butt  x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »

Hi  I need help and advice please, seeing the doctor on Thursday and am not sure what to do, the consultant have said to stick to the Estradot 100mg and add 2 pumps of gel or an additional patch or 2mg pill, he never suggested the patch wasnt working just to add extra, Sunday I added half of patch, 50mg so now I have 150mg on, so confusing to know what to do, just need some help please x

Winterose

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »

Certainly stick with the patches and or top up with gel and dont bother with pills as they are known to have slightly increased health risks, what were your symptoms?

moonbeam121167

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »

Winterose, some hot flushes, no libido, feeling tired all the time, weight gain, feelings of unhappiness, terrible brain fog x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »

Hi just come back from seeing the GP, he wouldnt give me any more patches, even though I showed him the letter from the consultant, I wanted to asked for extra patches but he believes that the patch is not absorbing and I should top up with the pill so he gave me Zumenon 2mg, for which I have never heard of, any one have any experiences of these pills x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »

It's just another brand of estradiol like Elleste. I thought you had changed from tablet HRT because they affected your stomach? I don't know the protocols here but if you have been referred to a consultant and the consultant recommends a certain treatment surely your doc should follow it, taking into account your wishes as well as your history if there are alternatives suggested, as in your case?

Hurdity x

Winterose

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »

Hurdity as usual has made correct assumption.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  Mine was borderline and doctor put me on thyroxine which helped a lot , you can check your thyroid by taking your temp on awakening for 10 days and if it is low - below the average -  then thats a good indication .Mine was 34 degrees and is now 36.  Palpitations in my case were due to thyroid , also took away the tiredness ( like magic) . Just a thought ::)

moonbeam121167

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »

Hi I am still on Estradot 100mg, I have to take it on top of the patch and I told the GP I want to stay off the pills cause of my IBS but he wouldnt have none of it, was sent home with the pills >:( he said did the pills I was original put on upset me and honestly they didnt but with the issues with my stomach was told trans dermal route will be better hense going on the patch and wanting to stay on it, so now I am on Estradot 100mg and then Zumenon 2mg every day, so we will see what happens, I go back to the consultant in Feb '15  :)
Pages: [1] 2