Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vit E Capsules  (Read 7588 times)

silvermoongal

Vit E Capsules
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »

I am 60 and having terrible problems with dryness and stinging pain during sex, I understand this is inevitable for some women. I don't want to use any hormonal products, but have heard that one can insert Vit E capsules inside vagina overnight. I would like to know if this is safe - how bigger dose value of capsule how often etc.. any side effects? Any help advice experienced gratefully received, thank you. This is such a pain when contraception is now not a worry. Nature is so cruel! I have tried various lubricants but they are not enough. :'(

babyjane

Re: Vit E Capsules
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »

hello and welcome, I sympathise with your problem. I did try vitamin E but it didn't help and I use Vagifem  pessaries and Gynest cream but I know you said you don't want hormone preparations.

the vagifem and gynest do keep me comfortable but do not allow me to be intimate with my husband. The other night I was inserting the pessary and I was a bit clumsy and pulled on the edge of the vagina, it really hurt badly and the skin split so I can't imagine having relations in that state.

So I can't really help but others will and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:14 PM »

silvermoomgal you can buy Carlson Key-E Suppositories with Natural Vitamin E, 24 Soothing Inserts from amazon uk

Here is a review

"I have suffered with vaginal atrophy on and off for the last 10 years but after a total hysterectomy three years ago it has returned with a vengeance. I too have been prescribed oestrogen suppositories by my doctor but after reading the side effects I was feeling very hesitant about using them. After trawling various sites on the internet, I read very good reports about the Vitamin E suppositories and after purchasing a supply from Amazon I was amazed and delighted at the results. I inserted one in the morning and on the first day of use the effects were immediate. All the soreness disappeared and I no longer had a constant urge to pass water, something which has been making my life a misery" 

You can use a whole suppository or halve it as one reviewer mentions.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »

I tried Vit E capsules at one stage and it was fine  - a bit greasy though.  I remember when I was pregnant we were advised to use almond oil on our perineum, so Vit E is really very similar. It didn't really help me I'm afraid but my atrophy was already quite bad. 
Have you not tried some of the over the counter vaginal moisturisers? Many women find these great to maintain some lubrication. 
I had an early menopause and even though I was on HRT for many years I had to use lots of extra KY during sex.
Don't be frightened to try some local oestrogen - lots and lots of women find it great. These preparations are such a low dose of oestrogen they are really quite safe and will prevent further atrophy.
Good luck.  DG x

silvermoongal

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »

I tried Vit E capsules at one stage and it was fine  - a bit greasy though.  I remember when I was pregnant we were advised to use almond oil on our perineum, so Vit E is really very similar. It didn't really help me I'm afraid but my atrophy was already quite bad. 
Have you not tried some of the over the counter vaginal moisturisers? Many women find these great to maintain some lubrication. 
I had an early menopause and even though I was on HRT for many years I had to use lots of extra KY during sex.
Don't be frightened to try some local oestrogen - lots and lots of women find it great. These preparations are such a low dose of oestrogen they are really quite safe and will prevent further atrophy.
Good luck.  DG x

Thanks Dancing Girl, perhaps I shall look into the very low oestrogen cream. Seems that I should try that or the Vit E suppositories, Silverlady mentions...
Many thanks girls x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

Hi silvermoongal

:welcomemm:

I agree with Dancinggirl - at your age (I am similar!) local oestrogen is really the best thing to treat your vaginal symptoms, because it actually increases and plumps up the cells within the vagina, urethra and bladder, so the tissue is thicker and less prone to dryness and irritiation.

There is a lot of information on this site - about treatments here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php

... and a magazine article about the whole issue of vaginal atrophy here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

It starts with the results of a survey and goes on to discuss treatments.

By all means try the capsules but whereas the vitamins may provide nourishment to existing tissues and provide a soothing effect, only local oestrogen will stimulate the tissues to grow.

Hurdity x