Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: How many things can break down? *****!  (Read 33509 times)

Ju Ju

Re: How many things can break down? *****!
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »

How sad. It seems down to luck whether your car has problems or not. Mentioned the noise to hubbie, but he had already noted it and is monitoring it. We also have a Citroen santia (spelling?). It was 2nd hand and came from the garage that repaired my car. It was top of the range when new and apparently still sort after. Economical, comfy and lovely to drive, but as it is huge, I hate parking it. Hubbie mentioned to his mechanic friend that he was thinking of selling and was told he shouldn't and he would tell him when it wasn't worth keeping. It is a good work horse with those extra luxurys, like heated seats.

Ju Ju

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

We took my car back to the garage yesterday. The glow plug light was on all the time and was difficult to start, plus an intermittent knocking sound has started up again, though these were 2 of the things fixed before. The glow plug light went out as I approached the garage. It probably knew where it was going! Oh dear, I think I have grown out of love with my car. :-\

Joyce

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »

Oh dear. Persevere though. Our son had a leak in his car, only knew as he was always topping up the oil, but no tell tale puddles. He had knocking noise too. Garage could never find anything wrong. So he went online & discovered it was common problem with this make. It was still under warranty, so he got in touch with manufacturer, Seat, they said it should be fixed under warranty. Garage kept putting him off, warranty was about to run out & obviously couldn't be bothered putting in the time. However, he persevered & it's now fixed, no charge!

Ju Ju

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »

The owner of the garage hopes it is due to the glow plugs and therefore under warranty.

Just rung up about my dishwasher. They've been waiting for the necessary part for a month and still unable to get it. As the machine is still under warranty, they suggested I go back to the insurers as I politely told them I had had enough particularly with Christmas coming up. The damn thing has started leaking now as well. I shall hand this task to my best resource, my hubby, on Monday. He's brilliant at being firm and pleasant with it. Though my daughter thought I should ring up in tears and play on the fact I'm not well and waiting for an op! The tears bit worked for her apparently. She's a bit like me...tears come when I'm angry. Can be frustrating!  :o

honeybun

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »

Oh I don't cry I just get very very persistent and very polite. I bought Xmas tree lights the other day from a large Tescos. They did not work. Large store is 20 odd miles away, express store is 2. I took them to our nearest and was told I could not get a refund there, ummm beg to differ. I stood at the till and refused to move until I got my money back. They gave in because I very quietly brought the shop to a standstill. You can do it in a pleasant way but you have to persist.

I have never been fobbed off, I start by asking the name of the person I am speaking to then ask for a supervisor and get that name, then a manager and so on. I make sure they know I am taking notes, I mentioned. trading standards and their own complaints dept. That rattles them and its amazing how far you can go.

Good luck and don't give in.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »

Quiet and firm is definitely the way to go.
Like Honeyb says, get the names of people that you speak to and do take notes.
I find it helps to say what I think the situation is then see if that ties in with their understanding.
If any problems speak to manager.
Good luck.

Ju Ju

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2014, 10:05:49 PM »

Cars back! It was a wire kinked. The mechanic checked everything, but couldn't find any fault, so he went to a forum ( great for info!!) and found a kinked wire is a common fault. Sure enough, the wire was kinked, so he straightened it and the glow plug light went out and the car starts fine. No charge!

Tomorrow we go and choose a new dishwasher. I asked that we can choose a different make and make up the difference. We have never really liked this one. Looks great, but badly designed inside. The salt dispenser is a pain to fill and the filter to clean, plus there is a white bloom on the stainless steel, though limestone cleaner clears it for a short while. Never had that problem before. Any suggestions of good makes?

honeybun

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »

Zanussi is good. I hate Hotpoint. My last dishwasher leaked like a teabag. I blame the dog for the puddle on the floor before I realised  :o
Have you looked at Which recommendations.

Honeyb
x

Dulciana

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »

Oh I don't cry I just get very very persistent and very polite. I bought Xmas tree lights the other day from a large Tescos. They did not work. Large store is 20 odd miles away, express store is 2. I took them to our nearest and was told I could not get a refund there, ummm beg to differ. I stood at the till and refused to move until I got my money back. They gave in because I very quietly brought the shop to a standstill. You can do it in a pleasant way but you have to persist.

I have never been fobbed off, I start by asking the name of the person I am speaking to then ask for a supervisor and get that name, then a manager and so on. I make sure they know I am taking notes, I mentioned. trading standards and their own complaints dept. That rattles them and its amazing how far you can go.

Good advice, HB! 

Ju Ju

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

Well, quiet, firm persistence is what hubbie excels at. What he doesn't excel at is DIY. After choosing the dishwasher we were asked if we wanted it plumbed in. Hubbie said no and I said YES! I couldn't cope with it left in the middle of the kitchen, then all the huffing and puffing and cursing   when he's had enough walking round it. £25 well worth spending, I say. They did a good job before and they take the old machine away. Keep to what you enjoy doing and do well I say!
                           :cuss:
Anyway, back to dishwashers, we chose a Siemens one, mainly cos it was on display and we could see what we were getting. We are restricted by choice as we want a stainless steel one to go with the other appliances and cupboards. The reviews are quite good. They won't deliver till the 30th, so I hope the old one limps on with only the quick wash and the leak which is getting worse. Will make sure there are plenty of old towels around, even if I'm not.

oldsheep

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »

good luck with the dishwasher. At least Siemens will be fine, being German and not going bust (like our fridge freezer idiots have done, so no 5 year warranty after all......sorry, must stop ranting about no FF  :o)

We got a price match 2 years ago on a Miele. First one...broke down within 2 days. They replaced. It's fine, just I don't think better than the other 'germans'. I do like the cutlery basket, having first thought it was a gimmick.
Our washing machine broke down at the same time (!) so we got a price match on a Miele for that too and it is a thing of wonder. I think their real strong point is washing machines. It even does wool beautifully.

Ju Ju

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2014, 09:40:05 PM »

I would have liked a Miele dish washer, but we can't afford it after the car repairs and hubbie's tax bill. I do have a Miele washing machine, which I bought when we had the kitchen redone. Very expensive, stainless steel and with a 10 year guarantee. I loved it and yes the wool cycle is great. I splashed out as I was fed up with machines breaking down and leaking. They always seemed to break down when the children were ill and sick everywhere. Yuck!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »

Our dishwasher works.  Can't remember the make, not in the same room  ::) - but the salt opening is way back on the floor  :o …… and no longer works so I ignore the little red light. 

oldsheep

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »

Now it's the loo. The little bit of plastic that just pushes/ clips on to the flush lever (side one) just falls off whenever you press the flush button. So we open the cistern lid and hold it on while we flush the loo. Plastic junk they are, but another annoyance. I'm off to buy a new one and see if I can fit it....

Still waiting to hear if the fridge is going to be delivered or not.

Ju Ju

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »

:cuss: feel like having a cry.

Oil boiler won't fire up. We had it booked in for service a week ago, but the chap didn't turn up. When hubby rang, he was told that the chap had come and no one was in and the garage locked, both completely untrue. I doubt if it had anything to do with the chap who has been servicing and repairing the boiler for years. He's working for a new company now. Hubby was unable to book him to come until the 5th January. I hope it doesn't get too cold and that we can get hold of someone on Monday. Glad I insisted we had the emersion heater repaired sooner rather than later, otherwise we'd have no hot water. Hubby's talking about investing in another portable heater. We have a calor gas heater for emergencies.

Really don't feel up to dealing with this. We have a water leak in the kitchen and will have to delay the delivery of the replacement dishwasher, because it will have to repaired first. Hubby is managing that by channelling the leak into a bowl and has managed to dry the area. More a nuisance now.

Thanks for the moan.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10