Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: How many things can break down? *****!  (Read 33503 times)

oldsheep

Re: How many things can break down? *****!
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »

I knew I should've stayed away from this thread  ::)
Boiler leaked, then the fernox filter leaked.....plumber finally cajoled into fixing it, now my integrated fridge freezer is making an extremely loud buzzing noise.
I hate integrated fridges as they invariably break down, plus they cost more. It's in warranty but who knows where the paperwork is.....bought it on eBay but assume the warranty is with the manufacturer.
Being deafened by a fridge is a new one!

Ju Ju

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »

I have my Smart car back at last. Now the bill........£2500+........ It's only 5 years old. Had we gone the Mercedes garage route, it would have been way way more than this. It wouldn't have been worth keeping. Well that's my hubbies tax money gone! I'm so glad we shared the decisions on this.

purplenanny

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 05:41:57 PM »

Crikey JuJu, I thought my bill was bad enough!! ::)

oldsheep

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »

are you in London Ju Ju?! When my little Renault went wrong some years ago, the labour charge was £100 an hour at the official dealership  :o :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »

Dealerships are usually dearer where ever you live.

Your guarantee is with the seller  ;) ………. a warranty maybe different ...

Ju Ju

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »

The labour cost estimate was huge at the dealership. My car is over 5 years old, so we took advice from a trusted friend, who services and repairs Citroens, including my hubbies. He had to keep my car for quite a while as there was more problems than anticipated by the dealership. For example, the pump needed repairing, which he sent off. The dealership would probably replaced with a new one. That would have been over £1000 just for that. He also sorted other stuff out that would soon need repairing and would have cost a lot more in labour. The car is also serviced. Had we gone down the dealership route, I suspect we would have scraped the car. This is cheaper than a new car and it should have a few more years left. I love my smart car, but I doubt I will buy another one again after this. Maybe I'll buy a yaris again. Never had problems with that car.

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »

Our camper is under warranty but the dealership wanted to up-grade several parts because the van is over 3 years old.  My neighbour got the job and none of the parts needed replacing  ::)

DH swatted a large fly last night then needed to replace a light bulb …….. the fly was hiding in the shade!

Joyce

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

Going back to the combi boiler part of this thread, we switched to combined many years ago. However, if someone is in the bathroom running bath/shower & I turn on kitchen tap say to wash dishes, person in bathroom gets a cold shower!  ;D Now I can think of many situations where that could be used as a weapon.  ;D ;D

As for car repairs. We have 5 year warranty on our car as does son. He has something wrong with his at the moment and garage hummed & heyed for ages knowing full well that warranty was due to expire. Son kept pushing for repair, but it is labour intensive as engine needs to come out so they can get at leak. Garage know there's a leak as they've done the computer analysis on it but still wouldn't fix it. So he emailed & phoned manufacturer who said it was covered & they would cover all the costs. It's taken son 6 months to get to this stage. Crazy or what?

Ju Ju I used to work with someone whose husband was a mechanic & he said you'll never go wrong with a Toyota. We're on our second one now. Traded old one in after 5 years. We sold it with less than 15,000 miles on the clock.  Yaris is perfect for us.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »

We have a Corolla …….. couldn't find a Toyota camper though …...

littleminnie

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »

Used to have a Toyota Aygo, loved it but, when it rained and the windows steamed up it was a nightmare. Now have a car with a heated front screen, best gadget on the car.

Joyce

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »

We were told to use air con along with heater to clear windscreen. Works a treat. I fancied an Aygo the last time but hubby said it was too small.

littleminnie

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »

Yes we used to do that CG, but we switched the aircon off it started misting up again. It is only a small car, nippy though.

Ju Ju

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »

We sold our my Yaris to help fund our trip round the world. I'd wanted a Smart car for a long time and it's been great fun. Bought with my pension lump sum. But I didn't expect bills like this at this stage. It's taken the shine off the fun. I'm listening to every little noise now thinking is there something else wrong. Dare I mention the weird noise it makes as I go over bumps and round corners?

oldsheep

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »

don't like weird noises in cars!

Our Renault Twingo died from a latent defect that the local official garage didn't diagnose properly (£1300), then denied all knowledge when I went back at them. 2 of the cylinder valve holes were mis-drilled on manufacture. Only 40 000km - most Twingos get to 250 000 as they are so simply made. As it was a small engine, it didn't become obvious during the 4 year warranty (of course), just 1 year afterwards when it failed the MOT on emissions.
It broke down in France; was correctly diagnosed by a mechanic over there who said we could take on Renault Corp for years or just sell it for scrap. It broke my heart. It was one of those little French Twingos (the model never sold here in the UK), a lovely bright blue. Left hand drive from when we lived there. Only car I've ever loved.

Limpy

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »

That's a big shame Oldsheep.

Till 4 years ago we only had Golfs. now have a Renault Clio, still can't get properly used to it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10