Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Is my new HRT dose high enough  (Read 11656 times)

Dandelion

Is my new HRT dose high enough
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »

Hi

I have been given estradot 25mcg to start when I have finished my current femoston cycle.
I just confirmed this with the chemist cos my stuff is there waiting for me to collect it.
Will 25mcg be enough for a peri menopausal woman?
People on here thought I was given estradot 50.

I really cannot face messing around with too low a dose and if 25mcg probably wont be strong enough, I want to buy the estradot 50 myself privately.
can anyone help?
Sorry to sound needy, I am just at the end of my tether with all this hrt hassle at my doctors and can't be bothered waiting another three months on an insufficient dose patch.
Since meno I have had this horrible feeling of dread and doom, which I know, for a lot of you, hrt has helped.
I've just had enough now, and if 25mcg is not going to be enough, I will buy my own cos I can't stand anymore of this.
I just want the right hrt, and I am not prepared to wait any longer.

thanks
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:44:04 PM by Dandelion »

Suzyq

Re: Is my new HRT dose high enough
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »

As far as I'm aware you cannot buy hrt??

Dandelion

still got questions thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »

As far as I'm aware you cannot buy hrt??
It's online in shops I just donno how to go about buying it cos you need a prescription.
I just saw someone elses post with a conversion chart re doses for patches and pills and 25mcg is really low. 25mcg is less than half a mg.

I need to get the estradot 50, should I get dr currie to write me a prescription?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:54:15 PM by Dandelion »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »

Hi Dandelion
This may sound really crazy but have you considered perhaps not using any HRT for just 4 weeks to see how you are? This may sound scary but as you feel the Femoston wasn't working anyway then you may not notice any difference.  The reason I'm suggesting this is so your body can adjust to no added oestrogen over these 4 weeks - you can then gage whether your meno symptoms actually increase or stay the same over this time. Then when you start the new regime you can really judge whether it is working or not.
If you just go from Femoston straight onto the new regime your body may not respond so easily and it may be difficult to know whether it's working. 
25mg estrodot is a low dose so it may take a bit longer to kick in but, as you are still peri meno and the transdermal route is more efficient, it may be enough. If you notice a reduction in your meno symptoms with the 25mg but you feel you need a bit more then it's easy to go up to 50mg. There have been ladies on this site who have found that they were worse on very high doses of oestrogen (I certainly found this) so it's good to start low.
Good luck  DG x

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 03:58:50 PM »

Hi Dandelion
This may sound really crazy but have you considered perhaps not using any HRT for just 4 weeks to see how you are? This may sound scary but as you feel the Femoston wasn't working anyway then you may not notice any difference.  The reason I'm suggesting this is so your body can adjust to no added oestrogen over these 4 weeks - you can then gage whether your meno symptoms actually increase or stay the same over this time. Then when you start the new regime you can really judge whether it is working or not.
If you just go from Femoston straight onto the new regime your body may not respond so easily and it may be difficult to know whether it's working. 
25mg estrodot is a low dose so it may take a bit longer to kick in but, as you are still peri meno and the transdermal route is more efficient, it may be enough. If you notice a reduction in your meno symptoms with the 25mg but you feel you need a bit more then it's easy to go up to 50mg. There have been ladies on this site who have found that they were worse on very high doses of oestrogen (I certainly found this) so it's good to start low.
Good luck  DG x
Hi DG

I am scared to stop my hrt altogether.
This is because, I know that menopause has caused my anxiety to get irrational and I get really scared, and the doctors are no help, they just want to give you more drugs for depression and I know the dreads and doom feelings are related to the menopause.
I just know my own body and mind, and can distinguish normal anxiety from meno anxiety.
I'm just afraid to spend anymore time experimenting and feeling like this.
I just want the right stuff.
I just cannot wait another three months to see if 25mcg works.

I am reading some posts on these forums about estradot and It sounds like 25mcg is not going to be enough.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »

Estradot 50 was way too much for me. After 3 months changed to 37.5, then 25. Doctors like to start low with most things not just HRT. You have to give it time to kick in though,  around 4 weeks is quite normal. Be patient, it can always be increased later if not enough. I was fine on 25.

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »

Estradot 50 was way too much for me. After 3 months changed to 37.5, then 25. Doctors like to start low with most things not just HRT. You have to give it time to kick in though,  around 4 weeks is quite normal. Be patient, it can always be increased later if not enough. I was fine on 25.
Hi Cubagirl

Are you perimenopausal?
If you are, that makes me feel better, cos I know some post meno women only need a tiny bit, as their hormone fluctuation is settleing down.
I got the impression 25mcg is  not enough to stop sweats and flushes in some women.
I'm just so fed up with this whole hrt hassle that I donno how much longer I can wait. I am getting really irrational anxiety about stuff that feels really convincing and I know it's menopause that is doing this, cos i know my own mind.
For instance, I thought I owed the council tax people thousands, because I was convinced i had failed to give them paperwork going back five years. I got myself in a real stew over it and it caused me to be so depressed i stayed in bed, really, I didn't owe the council anything, but the fear was so convincing.
I have had other things like this since starting menopause and I just cannot cope with it any longer.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »

I've had hystetectomy, then both ovaries removed. 

I used to be on 2 pumps of oestrogel, but flushes came back after a number of years. Meno consultant put me on patches -  Estradot 50. However, it was way too much. I was getting shakes, palps etc. So after 3 months reduced to 37.5 & was fine on that. However, as we are supposed to use as low a dose as possible it was further reduced to 25mg dose. I was fine on that & I have since halved that dose. I'd rather be on the full 25mg dose, but as I'm fast approaching 60 years of age I realise that I'm going to have to come off it eventually, hence trying to cope on half a 25 patch.

We are all very different. You may be absolutely fine on the 25 patch, you've just got to try it & see.

Suzyq

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »

Unfortunately hrt is not a quick fix, and whilst the estradot may well work quickly on flushes it's unlikely to solve anxiety .... You only have to read the boards to see that! If you are feeling so desperate mentally then you must try to get some help from your gp. I know you saw a gp last week re mental health - did you explain to them how bad you are feeling??

If you feel that you weren't absorbing estrogen from femoston than starting at 25 is wise - if you start too high you will feel ill and it takes time for the dose to reduce in your system.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »

You will need far less with patches than you did with pills.

You are over thinking again and need to calm down. Try what you have been prescribed for a month and maybe a bit more than that, and then reassess.

You are a bright intelligent woman. Stop and think.....there is a starting point for everyone and HRT is not a miracle cure. You can have just as many problems with too much oestrogen as too little and utrogestan does not have magical properties either.
You have fought hard to get what you have.....try it and see how it goes.

Just try it

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:31:32 PM by honeybun »

jayneaddo

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »

Hi there

I experienced very similar issues to you and was prescribed estradot 25mcg in addition to femosten. Been great on that combination 😊