Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and tiredness  (Read 3221 times)

TropicalVon69

Anxiety and tiredness
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »

Hi everyone, I've been stalking you all for a while  :lol: but until now I havent had the courage to introduce myself.
I'm 44 nearly 45 but couple of months makes all the difference eh!!!....my symptoms started in July with anxiety symptoms and insomnia.
I had adrenaline rushes and what feels like hormonal rushes with a head about to burst and go insane feeling and panic attacks.
I have also had muscle twitching, chest tightness, headaches, tearfulness, depression, very black, palpatations estreme tiredness unlike any othe Ive experienced inability to concentrate, foggy head, felt I was losing myself, itchy skin and face feels flushed a lot with uncomfortable skin and spots....doc put me on citalopram 20mg but I guess I'm asking for opinions on whether its menopause or anxiety and depression which the doc thinks it is........came on really suddenly but did have a friend pass away after symptoms started and a stressful time before...I have had my FSH level checked but in July was fine and ended up in A&E as I thought I was having a heart attack and once to sign myself into a psychiatric ward  :o but they wouldnt have me with anxiety...was just very desperate...have diazepam in case of emergencies but dont like the feeling from it....I'm 4 weeks into citalopram and definetely better but would rather address the root cause i.e potentially hormones
Thanks for reading ladies, I feel like I know a couple of you already lol
Hope youre all having a great Friday with as little menopause madness as possible  :yipi:

babyjane

Re: Anxiety and tiredness
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »

hello tropicalvon and welcome. I am glad you have joined the group as it makes such a difference just to be able to share and offload things. They don't seem so bad when they aren't bottled up, this is what I have found anyway.

All the things you describe happened to me starting in my mid 40s and I was put onto SSRI anti depressants which did nothing for me. I tried 3 different ones but it just added to my troubles.  Looking back I am sure it was hormonal upheaval but until hot flushes started when I was 53 and confirmed the menopause for me I got no help.

The greatest help I have had since then has been from the pages of this website and the support of this forum although I too lurked and did not join until a few months ago.

Come on in, the water's lovely and warm  :welcomemm:

dazedandconfused76

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »

Hi there and welcome :)

Your situation sounds incredibly similar to mine. I'm currently in week 2 of starting ad's (sertraline) as having struggled along with anxiety for 18 mths, lately it seems to have changed somewhat with a new added heatness to it, so felt I had no choice in the end. Hopefully the ad's and counselling will help. Plus I've joined a gym. Yaaaay. Not!!!
But like you, I would give anything to know if this is all down to prem meno (I'm 38 and it has been going on since 36) or it's due to other things...was made redundant last yr. You describe your feelings really well, and I can so relate to them - the rushing feeling is horrible.
My dr too thinks it's all anxiety and not meno related. I'm hesitant to try hrt only because I don't have a lot of the key symptoms like vaginal dryness or classic hot flushes. But then I do have great stiffness in joints so again, I'm at a loss of what the best answer is.
I know what you mean about the ad's too - I said to my gp "isn't that just putting a plaster over it?" he seemed a bit offended ;)
Good to have you here and for us all to try keep each other sane!! xx

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »

around the time I started struggling and was advised to try the ADs I also had CBT and this helped me identify trigger factors that made me anxious. It was good to understand a bit and gave me some control over what was going on in my head.

I think back then it could have been less to do with hormones but the arrival of the flushes, and being over 50 told me that menopause had arrived and that definitely brought things to a head and made me less able to cope.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »

Thanks for your warm welcome ladies, its definitely great to read all of your stories which are so similar and I feel like it is hormonal if you know what I mean...We have spent **** years  8) in our bodies and should know them better than anyone eh!!!......I am the same Dazed and Confused |I havent got Vag symptoms but was itchy for a few months and doc reluctant to offer any hrt...I was absolutely gutted...BabyJane, I have also found great relief from reading everyones posts even though I hadnt posted as a lot of symptoms seem to be similar and great to read peoples success stories too....feel that although I dont know if ADs are the right medicine for me, they have helped with panic attacks and helped me to think more clearly than when I was in constant panic and couldnt think straigh with distressing thoughts......still struggling as tire really easillly and feel ovewhelmed and overstimulated going out but getting there.....feel that for me too, the shoulder, chest and neck tension can cause headaches and anxiety...Hope you al have something nice planned over the weekend  :party: great at last to speak to you all
XXX