Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Zoladex for PMS/PMDD  (Read 16069 times)

chickpea

Zoladex for PMS/PMDD
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »

I'm about to start zoladex injections with oestrogen gel to try to find out whether I need an my ovaries out or everything out to cope with pms and pre menopause symptoms. I have always suffered with pms and have had night sweats for the last four years which are now torrential and require several bedding changes a night. I have spent the last year on various birth control pills/hrt/ssri's and have now lost my job due to my ill health.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had zoladex, side effects, experiences good/bad. Particularly if you are progesterone intolerant and have pms/pmdd.

Thanks,

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Zoladex for PMS/PMDD
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »

:welcomemm:  you are in the Wars!  Have you seen someone at a menopause clinic or is this treatment via a Gyane consultant?

PMS can be helped by eating 'correctly', i.e. every 3 hours throughout the day/night.  The idea is to spread the diet throughout the 24 hours.  That way blood sugar levels are kept more even which helps those awful anxiety/nausea surges.

Did you have lots of discussion about your job situation? 

Lots of ladies find that progesterone upsets them …… I'm sure someone will be along to comment.  There is a 'search' button you can use too.

chickpea

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »

I've been following the hormone diet by dr natasha turner since mid-july. I've lost over two stone but unfortunately haven't seen any lessening in my symptoms.
I have wondered whether eating at night would help lessen the night sweats, might try that since I'm up anyway.
No discussion about job situation really, was signed off sick for 3 months and then I received a notice of redundancy...

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »

Hi Chickpea. Sorry you are having such a tough time. If you put Zoladex into the search box in the blue bar top left of the page it will bring up any other discussions we've had in the past which may be helpful.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Galadriel

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:43:20 AM »

Hi Chickpea,

Poor you :hug:
I haven't had Zoladex, but I'd did have two months of Prostap SR (same idea, different molecule). This was in preparation for endometrial ablation. Basically it shuts down all your sex hormone production from the pituitary gland in the brain, all the way along the pathways. In a nutshell, you are put into a temporary menopause.
Apart from flushes and a bit of vaginal dryness, I was completely fine. I continued to deliver 4-5 day training courses without trouble .... I just had the windows open/closed/open/closed ;D

I did notice my breast cysts improved, although my bra cup size dropped.
If you are prepared for more sweats and flushes but improved pms, it will be worth a try to see how you are without all the ups and downs of hormones.
The effects are completely reversible. It does sound like you are a good way into perimenopause so the reversal may take a little longer.

I hope this helps.

Galadriel x

tiger74

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »

I have only come across Zoladex as an tool for ovarian suppression in treating oestrogen-positive primary and/or secondary breast cancer in pre-menopausal women.  I don't know if the dosage level is different but the person I knew who had this treatment (for breast cancer) experienced bad PMS-type symptoms on Zoladex whereas she hadn't suffered from this previously. 

Sorry, I can't be more encouraging but I wish you luck. 

Melbury

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »

I had three Zoladex treatments to shrink my massive fibroid prior to hysterectomy. 

It did cause hot flushes / sweats as of course it shuts down oestrogen production.  After the operation it took a couple of months to get back to normal and not feel like I was going through the menopause (which came along about 5 years after).

Hope it helps you.

chickpea

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »

Two days after my first injection which was like a wasp sting.
First night and day ok, in fact quite a productive happy  :) day. Last night was pretty sweaty though, so I wrapped up in a few different towels through the night.
I started bleeding this morning, doctors didn't speak of this but a quick google shows that it's too be expected. Unusual to have a period with out a rage first. Period pain moderate and now feeling rather nauseous and under the weather. Doctor told me I could feel really rubbish for 5 days so fingers crossed only 3 days to go...

Melbury

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »

I had forgotten about that.  I had slight bleeding continually on Zoladex until my actual operation was done.

Machair

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 06:36:15 AM »

So sorry you have this PMT problem. I have it too and it is absolutely dreadful. You don't say your age and how regular your periods are.

My PMT has got very difficult to manage since my periods are delayed. Today I am on day 59 and this weekend was awful. I know a period wants to start as I have slight yellow/brown staining but it never gets established - it just causes massive PMT. I have tried walking, healthy diet, eating every 3 hours and many other things but nothing helps really that much.

My hope is that the end is in sight as I went 11 months period free, and in the gap it all abated- it was bliss and so welcome. Then my periods came back in May and the build up to each one has been the same- PMT+++++++

chickpea

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »

I'm 38 years old and my periods are still regular. I get a couple of days a month where I feel like a normal person and am able to get things done, feel effective, lucid, intelligent etc. The rest of the month is a roller coaster of pains, swellings, anxiety, depression, rage and confusion...

Nearly a week since first zoladex injection, have had some hefty night sweats but also some good days. Major problem is binge eating - I just want to eat and eat and eat...