Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Underactive thyroid and anemia  (Read 5738 times)

Smokey

Underactive thyroid and anemia
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:40:26 PM »

Just wondering exactly how many of us women have underactive thyroid and developed anemia?

Was reading on-line about thyroid recently and found out that apparently thyroxin can stop iron being absorbed properly. Anyone else herd of this?

I have been anemic and now am on iron tabs long term, does that mean forever?

babyjane

Re: Underactive thyroid and anemia
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »

Hello Smokey

When I was diagnosed with my UAT 27 years ago I was found to be severely anaemic due to the thyroid hormone levels being so low for so long.

After about 9 months on gradually increasing levels of thyroxine and iron tablets my thyroid levels stabilised and my blood count was back to normal.

My blood count has stayed normal ever since so long as my thyroid levels are ok but I believe that iron supplements can affect the absorbtion of thyroxine if they are taken together.

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »

Hi celticlady

Thanks for that information, not sure if my thyroxin dose needs to be changed, I have experienced concentration problems and because of this my MS consultant is convinced its thyroid related rather than ms, so has referred me to thyroid consultant and I have at last got an appointment next week.

My readings have been up and down last one was 3.5 prior to that thay have been 5.5 0.1 I am on 50mg of thyroxin at the moment. I'm hoping the consultant can sort out my correct dose. As docs surgery only really go by range of 0.1 - 5.9 so am normal by their standards. X

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »

Smokey I am glad you have been referred to an endocrinologist. I only got any positive input and effective monitoring and treatment after I was referred to an endo. A thyroid function test ordered by an endo will include the T4 and T3 as well as the TSH so you get a much clearer picture of what your thyroid is doing.  Good luck.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »

Hi - I used to work as an advisor for a thyroid charity. I'm guessing you know not to take your thyroxine at same time as iron tablets. In fact no meds should be taken at same time as thyroxine as either the thyroxine is not absorbed well or the other med is not.  Have you had your T3 tested ( this is what your body converts thyroxine to in your body) its not always easy to get this test but you say you are under a consultant rather than just your GP so the consultant will be able to get this tested. Some people have normal thyroid test results but their body is not converting it well.
We always recommended in someone stable that their levels were tested every 6 months but most GP's only test once a year which is not good enough. If you are not stable then you need retesting 8 weeks after your dose is altered and then 3 months after that to see if its settled.
Hope this info helps.

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 08:28:47 PM »

Countrybumpkin

Thanks for the info, yes I  am aware of iron and Thyroxine shouldn't be taken together usually I take my thyroxine at 3.30 am as I take Nortriptlyne at night, but am trying to wean myself off them at the moment as the side effects list is endless and I have most of them, but as I have ms I'm not sure if they are down to that or side effects. I've gone from 70mg to 50mg I'm reducing 10mg every 14days not feeling to good last couple of days though feel queasy I guess it's withdrawal symptoms. X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 05:35:03 PM »

Do you take the nortryptaline for pain relief??  It is always hard to come off these types of drugs and always hard to work out what is a side effect of a drug or a symptom of a condition ::)

Smokey

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

Hi countrybumpkin

I was prescribed the Nortriptyline when I was first ill in 2010, but was diagnosied with ms menopause parathyroid ( had op) all at the same time, they were meant to be for the tension heads I was getting at the time, they went but to be honest I had so much going on that it could have been caused by meno so I may not even need them now, my worry is that they could be covering up other ms symptoms, which I know last time I had evidence of nerve damage once I'd reduced them to 50mg which I'm currently taking now but they wernt too painful just ****ly when hand was lightly touched or brushed against something,what I dread is a symptom of Tinitus returning in my ear,this happened last time I got down to 50mg too and I upped the dose again by 5ml and it went,but both of these are listed as side effects of the medication,so Im not sure what's causing what.  I don't know if either of these things are permanent or if they will come or go,but I couldn't stant having the Tinitus permenantly as it was having something alien in side my head, I think it takes 2 weeks for each dose reduction to leave your body so I shall know soon this week I think, keep your fingers crossed for me,I hope I can come off these pills as don't want to stay on them forever! How are you?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »

Can you reduce the dose even slower? I know you want to be off them but the slower the better for withdrawal.
I have pulsitile tinnitus in my left ear 24/7 for past 6 years so appreciate you find it hard to cope with tinnitus, at least pulsitile is copeable with.
I probably should know this but haven't re read all the posts but did the symptoms start after you started reducing the nortryp??  You can get very strange withrawal symptoms. 
Its good your Dr has checked you out and is not worried. 
I find the hardest part is coping with symptoms without knowing whats causing them whereas once I know the cause I can cope better?? This means of course that you always think the worst case scenario.  Is this whats happening to you??
Hope your coping this weekend.x

Smokey

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »

Hi Countrybumpkin

Sorry it's taken a while to reply, since I last posted I've had a long period and felt pretty rough too. I first started to reduce medication last year and that's when I noticed the nerve pain I then upped the dose again due to my ms nurse telling me it could be a symptom, but after some one had suffered the same with ms but said it is not all the time but comes and goes,I thought that I could cope with thatso started to reduce dose again it was only when I got down to 50mg the Tinitus suddenly started, but this time it hasn't and I have decided like you mentioned to reduce it more slowly I'm now reducing it by 5mg each two weeks and so far no side effects.

Yes I guess I do look at worst case scenario, then if it's not so bad its a bonus! I hope that makes sense.

I think sometimes I feel so bad and put it all down to the ms, but hormones are probably the cause, as I know before HRT I had some horrendous symptoms,and actually thought I was going mad.

I've not heard of pulsitile Tinitus that must be awfull I will have to look that up.
How are you coping with that, medication?