Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Memory foam pillows  (Read 3588 times)

rosebud57

Memory foam pillows
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »

Hi everyone,

Have been suffering a lot lately with sore neck and shoulders and have been thinking about buying a 'memory foam pillow'.  Have any of you bought one, and if so did it do any good.

Looking forward to your replies.

toffeecushion

Re: Memory foam pillows
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »

Sorry don't know about the pillows, but am suffering as well.  Does your head hurt too?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »

It's my shoulders which hurt most. I bought a special pillow once, but don't think it was memory foam. Really hard to get used to. Now just sleep with normal pillow.

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »

No, it's just my neck and shoulders toffeecushion.  It's probably stress/sitting at the computer, but getting fed up with it.  Any suggestions much appreciated.

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »

I bought one and it didn't help me so I went back to normal pillows. I'm going to get rid of my memory foam one I think as they aren't very comfy so OH tried it and chucked it too.

Dana

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:09:01 PM »

I recently needed to buy new pillows so I opted for memory foam. I didn't buy them for any specific neck or shoulder problem, and apart from being more expensive I didn't really notice much difference. They are also a lot heavier than normal pillows, but they do also hold their shape which normal pillows don't, so you're not constantly "fluffing" them up.

There's nothing wrong with them, they're comfortable, and I'm happy with mine. If you need them for a specific reason I'm not sure how well they would work though, but give them a try if you want to. Just don't go too crazy with how much you spend on them.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »

My friend has just recommended dorma full forever pillows as she has similar problems. Might give them a try. Heck knows I have a cupboard full of pillow rejects.

Suzyq

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 01:01:20 AM »

I have had a bad neck for years with cervical disk disease - doc recommended a mediflow pillow (you fill it with water!) omg I haven't had a single pain in my neck since - they sell them on amazon - I was very sceptical but they are absolutely fab! Had a memory foam pillow - it made my neck hurt worse!!

hetty

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 01:40:16 AM »

Hi everyone,

Have been suffering a lot lately with sore neck and shoulders and have been thinking about buying a 'memory foam pillow'.  Have any of you bought one, and if so did it do any good.

Looking forward to your replies.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 07:49:28 AM »

Both my hubbie and I bought expensive memory foam pillows a few years ago along with a memory foam mattress.  My hubbie hated his at first and stopped using it for a while, but now loves it. Mine was wonderful. I had neck and shoulder stiffness and pain, following bereavement. Chiropractic treatment hadn't helped, but the pillow made a huge difference. The jury is still out for the mattress though. Good for muscular and skeletal pain, but I am cannot lie on one side, as I have nerve damage following childbirth. Very uncomfortable on this mattress, but less of a problem on other mattresses.

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »

I have a memory foam pillow in the cupboard.

Your neck/upper back can get sore from spending too long in a bent-forwards position, so a single pillow is better than two, as it avoids forcing your neck forwards.  I found the memory foam pillow fine for lying in one position on my side, but no use on my back, or moving around.

At the computer, I find that leaning forwards, whilst also tipping my head backwards to accommodate the varifocals is a killer.  Really, it is best to adjust the chair, keyboard and screen so that you have good posture and engage all your tummy/back muscles correctly and shoulder and muscles can relax.  Sometimes, it can help with the varifocals if the screen is tilted slightly.  Take time to do the neck muscle exercises and relax shoulders/neck at regular intervals.

rosebud57

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »

Many thanks for all your suggestions.  Will be investigating the cost of the different types of pillow mentioned and am just about to put my PC monitor on a book to raise the height.

Cheers