Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Ladies not on HRT  (Read 43554 times)

Rowan

Re: Ladies not on HRT
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 03:45:50 PM »

A lovely honest post babyjane, thank you x

babyjane

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »

I just told it like it is for me silverlady.

Perhaps I should have said that, having had a hysterectomy I was not bothered by all the bleeding and erratic cycle troubles, that might have made a difference to my experience, I will never know.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »

Before I was married I asked for The Pill - my GP asked "how would you feel if I were a Catholic and refused to prescribe it?" well red rag to a bull  >:( "A GP should never allow his/her personal preference to interfere with his job".  I was 17  ;) I also told him that I would go to a Clinic if he refused.

Rowan

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »

Stelajane its not just menopause and treatment that doctors even in the same practice don't agree on,  most doctors have there own way of treating their patients whatever the health problem.

Not sure what can be done about it, I do know in our practice there are a few favourite doctors who seem to get the most patients. 

But at least on MM we can support whatever women choose to do to get through their menopause, as you have said.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:40:10 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »

Many GP Surgeries have a Patient Forum

Winnie

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »

Hi

I am not on HRT after being taken off it by doctors after ovary removal.  It's now 10 weeks after the operation
and I take ad's, Vitamin B complex, Sage capsules, Star flower and Vitamin E.  I have hot flushes but just work through them a few aches and pains.  I have been offered HRT again but the doc looks at me strange when I say no thanks it's OK I will just continue with the vitamin's they can't understand why I want to pump myself full of
vitamins which are not medically approved when HRT is.  I said well it's my choice I won't rule it out completely
just in case one day I really need to take it again.
Winnie

babyjane

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »

that sounds sensible winnie, you know your own body best.

Hurdity

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »

Today is World Menopause Day and a link to the recent paper written by the International Menopause Society was put up by the administrator of this forum.

The paper is entitled "Prevention of diseases after menopause"
http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/world_menopause_day_2014/white_paper/wmd_white_paper_english.pdf

Here is the abstract:

Women may expect to spend more than a third of their lives after menopause. Beginning in the sixth decade, many chronic diseases will begin to emerge, which will affect both the quality and quantity of a woman's life. Thus, the onset of menopause heralds an opportunity for prevention strategies to improve the quality of life and enhance longevity. Obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis, cognitive decline, dementia and depression, and cancer are the major diseases of concern. Prevention strategies at menopause have to begin with screening and careful assessment for risk factors, which should also include molecular and genetic diagnostics, as these become available. Identification of certain risks will then allow directed therapy.

Evidence based prevention for the diseases noted above include lifestyle management, cessation of smoking, curtailing excessive alcohol consumption, a healthy diet and moderate exercise, as well as mentally stimulating activities. Although the most recent publications from the follow up studies of the Women's Health Initiative do not recommend menopause hormonal therapy as a prevention strategy,  these conclusions may not be fully valid for midlife women, on the basis of the existing data. For healthy women aged 50-59 years, estrogen therapy decreases coronary heart disease and all cause mortality; this interpretation is entirely consistent with results from other randomized, controlled trials  and observational studies. Thus, as part of a comprehensive strategy to prevent chronic disease after menopause, menopausal hormone therapy, particularly estrogen therapy may be considered as part of the armamentarium.

I would urge everyone to read it.

For me one of the striking conclusions is that current evidence shows "For healthy women aged 50-59 years, estrogen therapy decreases coronary heart disease and all cause mortality".

I hope this puts the discussions into perspective and I sympathise with anyone who is unable to take HRT for medical reasons.

Hurdity x

rosebud57

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »

Unfortunately all the contributors, bar one, are now or have been in the past, been employed/paid for services by pharmaceutical companies.

This report, although interesting is not impartial.  Big pinch of salt needed.

Rowan

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »

Once again this thread was suppose to be about women not on HRT (giving them a voice) for what ever reason.

Not to be made to feel that their choices are the wrong ones!

Hurdity

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »

Once again this thread was suppose to be about women not on HRT (giving them a voice) for what ever reason.

Not to be made to feel that their choices are the wrong ones!

I'm really getting very tired of being told what threads I can and cannot post on, and what I am allowed to say - this is an open forum and such comments serve no purpose but to cause upset and argument. I intend that my posts are informative and helpful to the best of my ability, just as I hope we all do. I will not be intimidated by you or anyone into not contributing where I feel I have something to say.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »

The issue I find difficult to resolve with GPs is - why don't they listen to women who really do require HRT ?  So far, fortunately I have been OK with only the odd addition to my vagina due to atrophy and I know I AM fortunate when I read here how other ladies suffer.  I think quality is important so if ladies are able to feel well enough to 'do without' then go for it!

I think many ladies who do not require HRT wouldn't think about ifs and buts because they are managing Life without.  There is so much 'trial and error' with medications and each of us is 'different' …..

I know my Mum had crashing fatigue but I don't think she had anything for symptoms, she's nearly 88 and can't remember  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »

Going back to the start: Karin asked if any of us has found alternatives of any use.  Good diet; exercise; laughter (when possible  ;) ); treats, i.e. bubble baths; making time for relaxation ……… these have helped me in various ways with the additions as stated above.

Alternatives are rarely offered on the NHS ……… for lots of reasons! 

Rowan

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

"I hope this puts the discussions into perspective and I sympathise with anyone who is unable to take HRT for medical reasons."

As far as I can see nothing on this thread needed to be put in perspective! its just women posting (and hopefully being allowed to) about how they get by without HRT! and making suggestions for Karin.

rosebud57

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »

Hurdity, I for one NEVER post on threads where the ladies discuss their HRT use/problems. One because as a non HRT user it would be arrogant of me to do so. Two, because they don't interest me, and lastly because It's not my place to say you should not take HRT. 

Perhaps you should stop trying to persuade us non takers that HRT should be taken, even if we don't want to. 

It's call good manners.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10