Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Not sure what to do  (Read 3781 times)

hanging.on.in.there

Not sure what to do
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »

Hi, Im 52 and started symptoms at the beginning of the year which were going from having very normal light regular periods, to a few increased ones, to no periods since about April til now.
Had a bout of intense hot flushes, then none for the last 3 months, now they are back every 2 hours night and day, which are really disruptive in lots of ways.

Should I ride them out or do something different?
Not sure how long to put up with this ! I don't feel like I'm in my own body any more !

Thanks 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »

HORMONES  >:( - you are probably experiencing the fluctuations ………  :hug:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »

I think it depends on how long you wont to "ride them out for" and if you are considering HRT. Flushes can last for many years and it seems to be one of the main reasons why women ask for HRT as they can be so debilitating. I put up with them for around two years before going on HRT. They began like yours but eventually increased to three to four an hour.

Have you got any other menopausal symptoms? It would help wouldn't it if we only knew how long the flushes would last!!

Taz x

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »

I agree with Taz that it would help so much if we knew when flushes and night sweats might ease off and hopefully stop. I am almost 8 years post menopause- my periods didn't stop until I was 56 which was later than average so now just turned 65  still with flushes my GP finds it  hard to believe I still have meno symptoms and if it wasn't for this website I probably wouldn't believe it either!! I hardly dare admit that they do seem to be less frequent of late both day and night so maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel but I am not holding my breath just taking things a day at a time.

Thorntrees

hanging.on.in.there

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »

Thanks everyone, it is extremely helpful to hear others' actual experiences.

2cats

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »

Hi hangingoninthere,

If it's only flushes causing you problems, then you could probably control them with herbal remedies as it seems for many of us, they are the first thing to go once we start taking either herbal or traditional hrt.

A quick google search will come up with suitable preparations or a visit to Holland and Barratt or Boots...

You may end up being one of the lucky ones who pass through this change relatively unscathed - if not, and other symptoms start to rear their ugly head (anxiety, moodiness, sadness, etc etc!) then don't hesitate in getting more help in the form of HRT, before the symptoms saturate your life.

Good luck ! :)

hanging.on.in.there

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »

Thanks everyone, I found it illuminating that people do go on HRT 'just' for the flushes, as ignorantly, I thought it was mainly used by women who had more wide- ranging problems ?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »

It has been found that many medications can help other conditions too! so it is Trial and Error  ::)

hanging.on.in.there

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »

Thanks, I've recently ( 6 months)  started on 50ug thyroxine too, so don't know if that affects anything menopause - wise?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »

If you put the name of the drug into the 'search' button you will see if any members have knowledge of this?