Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Health Anxiety/Hypochondria  (Read 27022 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health Anxiety/Hypochondria
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 04:31:15 PM »

Yoga
Relaxation therapy
Swimming
Cycling
Long hot bubble bath

Marf

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »

Thanks, think I need to make myself get up and out more! Also does it fluctuate through the month for you or is it always there? I'm trying to work out if it's hormonal or anxiety or a mix of both - yay! Not!!!

Dorothy

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »

My biggest concern is that I will miss something major by putting it down to 'just health anxiety'.  If you feel like you have a life-threatening illness of a different kind on a weekly basis, how do you know when you should be going to the doctor?

honeybun

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »

I think deep down we actually do know when it's not just anxiety.

If it comes and goes quickly to be replaced by something else then it's generally not serious.
Despite getting worked up over just about everything I really beleive I'm old enough and wise enough to recognise when things are really not right.

Honeybun
X

Lisette

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »

Oh yes !!!! That's me. Doesn't matter what I read or see, I relate it immediately to me and match it negatively to my symptoms and then " the end is nigh ". I've lost count now of how many times I've been through it. Glad it's not just me x

Lisette

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »

I can't even watch Doc Martin anymore....silly I know !!! X

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »

When I found a breast lump I 'knew' ………  ::)

When I have indigestion in the early hours, my first thought is heart attack so I check vital signs etc. and remind myself that last time it wasn't  ::)

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »

I'm so happy I learned about health anxiety... And now I think I know why a friend of our family acted so irritationally, out-of-character and plain weird a couple of years ago... All of a sudden this "normal" woman started believing that she had some some deadly disease. She was depressed, anxious and literally seemed to be losing her mind. She even thought that she had hepatitis and that she had contracted it YEARS back when she was given blood during the delivery of one of her children. In reality, there was absolutely NOTHING seriously wrong with her. Everybody were wondering what on earth was wrong with her all of a sudden.

Well, now I think I might understand what probably went on. She must have been right around 50 years old when this happened. I'm thinking a bad case of peri/menopause and health anxiety... Poor woman... :(

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »

Yes, she seems like she's back to "normal" now :) !

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »

Does she discuss it?

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »

Does she discuss it?

I don't know. She's more a friend of my parents, and it was just yesterday that my mom brought it up again (can't remember why). Not even sure whether the poor woman even knows WHY she felt and acted the way she did. I wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't for this forum!

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 07:44:48 PM »

There seems to be hope though  ;)

Rebelyell

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »

Back on here, calming myself down with a read of this.  Am in the midst of worst health anxiety bout so far.   Have gone through three types of cancer in a week and am back to having everything I read about or see on TV.  I think I have actually got some form of mild cold and started coughing two days ago.  A dry cough, and only a couple of times at first but had bad bout when I woke that has me convinced it is something terminal.

Really annoyed as I had a good couple days re recently when I felt sensible and positive.  But it seems that I am only fine whilst I have no symptoms to nag at me and nag away at.

It started 18 months ago and has become a deeply ingrained habit, a sort of permanent groove in my thought process.  But am also concerned that oestrogen only HRT makes it worse, not better.   Any advice from the other side of this nightmare would be very welcome!

Louisa

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »

I suffer big time with anxiety, It's a dreadful horrible feeling.  This forum is very helpful.

Rebelyell

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2015, 11:46:43 AM »

Sparkle - it will be fine.   I'm the opposite to you in the sense that I avoid doctors and tests, I also know that even if I got the full body all-clear I would just think they had missed something!   

I am taking positive action - have started the couch to 5K NHS running app today - feel like a bit of a hero for doing first run!    I had no thoughts of health/body whilst out - worried a bit about funny feeling in chest when I returned, then did housework to distract myself.   Distraction is definitely the key.

Have you tried exercise?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4