Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Health Anxiety/Hypochondria  (Read 27021 times)

libby1

Re: Health Anxiety/Hypochondria
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »

Please do, there's so many of us suffering with this awful stress and worry  :'(

Karenja, I had really awful facial tingling 4 years ago, don't worry  :-*

Libby
x

tiger74

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »

Interesting thread.  I wonder if health anxiety is menopause-related or is it that as we get older various bits and bobs start to go wrong and we respond by thinking our bodies are letting us down? 

2009 was my annus horribilis - recurrence of a thyroid issue requiring radioactive iodine treatment, foot operation and breast cancer diagnosis.  I sure kept the NHS busy for a while!  For a significant period afterwards I imagined every twinge anywhere in my body was a metastatic spread.  Yes, I agree with Silverlady - this is a type of PTSD and it's certainly recognised (by some) in oncology circles that the years post-diagnosis/treatment can be as traumatic as the diagnosis/treatment itself, just in a different way.  I've never suffered the panic attacks that others have described and I wasn't booking frequent GP or hospital appointments. However I did find found that worrisome thoughts about my health were very dominant for a while, especially when I was still recovering from treatment and didn't have the energy to do so much in an average day.  As the years have gone by and I have ensured that the necessary ongoing screening is in place, I have gained reassurance from this and am now able, I hope, to maintain a more reasoned approach to my health.

I suppose, what I'm trying to say is that, if your health anxiety can be traced back to the onset of particular symptom(s)/illness(es), then, in my experience "this too shall pass".

I hope others also find that this passes -in the meantime stay away from Dr Google - he/she never went to medical school!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:32:49 PM by tiger74 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

;D ……… I don't read the inserts in medication packets either  ::) cos sure as eggs are eggs, I'll have every symptom that might happen.

My face is tingling.  I am sure it is anxiety related.  My problem is recognising the difference between hunger and an upset stomach.  >:( ……… I tend to think that if a symptom continues for a few weeks but doesn't get bad enough to drive me to the GP then it isn't serious.  I've had intense sudden pains in one side of the head for a few days which make me go 'ouch' - none 2-day - so they are probably 'soon to pass' but of course, 'what if it's ……. ' ……… I forget about them until they strike!

The usual issues, i.e. sciatica are part of daily life so I treat with medication as necessary.

libby1

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »

I think that tingling (and gp confirms) is a classic symptom of anxiety, we all know this yet we still think the worst   :-\

I'm fluctuating at the moment between feeling ok and worrying  :(

Hugs to all

Libby
x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »

My shoulders go up when I am anxious: or I lean right over almost double ……. signs of depression, wanting to curl into a ball to avoid ……….

rantywoman

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »

Oh yes, I hear you all, the dreaded Dr Google and fearing every twinge. I never used to be like this and it's really only since I've been post menopausal that it's all kicked off. As soon as I get over one health worry, another one pops up in it's place argh! ::)

The internet is a double edged sword, it's  a source of valuable information and a way of communicating with others in the same situation but I do wonder how less anxious I would be if I didn't have access to Google. Hmmmm....

I think unstable hormone levels contribute greatly to all this and hopefully if I can get my hrt sorted things will improve.

Trying not to Google everything is like trying to ignore a big red button that says "do not push". You know you shouldn't but you can't help wanting to push it.

Oh to have the nonchalance and health of a twenty five year old again.....

karenja

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »

Agree Dr Google the bain of my life, im trying to stop x

libby1

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

Me too  :-\

Libby
x

Cagney

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 10:56:55 PM »

Hello! 

I know this thread was started a year ago, but I wanted to say . . THANK YOU libby1 for starting it!  Every word you and others have written are exactly what I've been going through!  I'm in late menopause, started in my late 50's.  I'm now mid 60's.  Anxiety and menopause don't play well together!  I was NEVER like this before in my life!  Thankfully I still work full time.  Without that I'd be a drolling anxiety ridden mess!   When it's bad all I can do is sit and cry while rocking back and forth praying it will pass!  The boob twinges and hot flashes are bad enough and I have to constantly calm myself, saying "you've been here before . . it will pass"  S I G H.  I have read the highest number of emergency room visits with issues found to be related to anxiety are woman in their 60's   . . . that were never like that before in their lives. 

Finding this thread, although it's old, has helped me feel less alone and I want to say Thank you!  Hope my response finds those who wrote originally and hope all is well!

;D From Canada!

LouE

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 11:11:40 PM »

Just found this oder thread, thank goodness its not just me!!! Even i have used the word hypochondriac about myself  :-\ Thought i must be imagining everything cos theres nothing wrong, this is after the blood tests, RA tests, abdominal scan, kidney scan, at one point i was convinced i had kidney failure! But then the aches and pains are real so im not imagining it!!  Reading the PTSD comment, i was nodding thinking yep, thats me too, my dad was seriously ill in intensive care, very sudden, very scary time, and it was over the next 6-16 months i noticed i wasnt "coping" at work, in general, docs prescribed antidepressants which helped, work eventually took it serious and got me counselling for issues there, but now i find im back at square one again, only this time theres no crying but the anxiety is still there. 

Everything is slotting into place from finding this place, these threads are brilliant, i will be armed with plenty info for my doctor next week!

Cagney

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 01:09:30 AM »

Hi  I see someone else found this older post helpful.   Glad to see your post.  Hope the originators of it will see our responses. 

This IS a great site, so thankful I found it!

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »

>wave<  we have a thread 'complaint of the day' somewhere - will bump it!

:welcomemm:  Both.  Browse round!

It's in: Other Health Discussion.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=29048.0

libby1

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »

Hi  :thankyou:

It's definitely one of the worst menopause symptoms!!! Hugs to everyone out there still suffering  :bighug:

Libby
x

Peterspots

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »

Hello. I find the idea of health anxiety difficult. I don't feel I have health anxiety though I am anxious about the situation with my health. But wouldn't anyone hate having facial spasm for nearly a year then VA then joint and muscle pain or worry when it will end. I have never thought I have anything life threatening but of something which drags on & causes me pain. The 10 year's between the facial pressure/tingling starting and when I broke my coccyx (10 years ago) I have not worried about my health becuase I felt fine. What makes worrying about your health health anxiety? I am trying to stay relaxed about the situation but it is sh*t.

Marf

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »

So glad this thread has been resurrected xx has anyone found anything that makes the anxiety better? I find its so bad all I can do is tense up inside and cry for England 😞 rational thinking goes completely out the window. Diazepam helps a bit, HRT was awful xxx any other suggestions would be amazing xxx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4