Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How to put this politely!  (Read 3445 times)

sophieJ

How to put this politely!
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »

Since my hysterescopy 9 days ago, there's been some kind of discharge everyday. Light and not particularly bothersome and I actually cant believe that its 26 days now since I've bleed ie since last period prior to op. I had the mirena put in with the op and I presume I'm in the settling down phase. What I want to ask is does anyone have a remedy for discomfort of sorry....the inner lips? Feels a bit sore last couple of days. Good job we are all ladies here and helping each other!
Secondly. Does my cycle start from the day the coil went in ie am I day 9 or am I day 26 as it was day 17 when it went in? Thanks lovely ladies and sorry for putting you off your elevensies!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How to put this politely!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »

I don't know about the Mirena - maybe read the menus, left of screen?

As for inner lips could this be the start of vaginal atrophy? or is it a result of the investigations, i.e. slight bruising?  Have you held a mirror and looked ……….  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »

Hi sophieJ
I know it is all a bit embarrassing but if you are sore and are worried about the discharge then I would see your GP or gynae to have things checked.  It is very normal to have some bleeding or spotting for some weeks after having the Mirena fitted.  I do wish the medical profession would take just a little time to explain what to expect after prescribing drugs or giving us something like a Mirena - to just fit a Mirena and let a women go off not knowing what to expect is soooo wrong :bang:
I had a Mirena for over 4 years and I found it was the best option for me at the time.
The discharge might be a bit of thrush or infection that can be easily treated - this would be very common after having a hysterescopy.
  As CLKD says the soreness could just be as a result of the procedure but again it could be because of thrush, infection or early stage atrophy. You could apply some Multi Gyn Actigel or Hylaofemme that would lubricate things bit and this helps to keep vaginal infections away.
Have you had the Mirena fitted for a particular reason e.g. because of excessive bleeding?
The Mirena releases a small amount of progesterone which will often control excessive bleeding but will also reduce any bleed you do have.  In time you may not get any bleed at all - which is great. Your cycle will still be controlled by your own hormones so I think this will depend on your oestrogen level.  The plus of the Mirena is that if you need some oestrogen to help with flushes and other meno symptoms you can just use patches or Oestrogel.
I hope that helps.   DG x

sophieJ

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:27:18 PM »

Thanks ladies, was beginning to think I'd scared everyone off! Yes, the mirena was fitted because of heavy and frequent bleeding. I've not seen my Conslt for a follow up yet so I am a bit in the dark with it. However, I've read so many useful posts on here that I feel reasonably well informed and am basically expecting very little in the way of periods in the future. I'm 50 with no other meno symptoms apart from how crazy my cycle started going in the last year. In terms of the discomfort I'm hoping its not a side effect of the coil and I'm going to look up some of the gels etc suggested. It's weird not knowing where I am in my cycle but strangely nice too!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »

Usually a check up is 6 weeks after ……….. do you have an appt.?  if not ring the Consultan'ts secretary to check with is expected to be 'within normal limits'  ;)

sophieJ

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »

I have an appm for about 3 weeks time x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

Is that OK with you?