Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: car insurance question  (Read 7617 times)

ariadne

car insurance question
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »

My son is 25 this month and his car insurance is due one day before. He compared some quotes, asking for them to start on his birthday and they were much cheaper then his current insurer. He tried to get an online quote from his current insurer but as he was already insured with them, it wouldn't generate a new quote but said they would contact him nearer the renewal date.

So he rang them and they quoted him a significantly higher premium than the compare sites had. This is because they said cover had to be continuous and had to start the day before he was 25 which meant a higher premium. He said he just wouldn't drive the car on the day before his birthday then but apparently under new legislation, you cannot own an uninsured car whether you drive it or not, unless you have declared SORN.

It doesn't seem fair  that for the sake of one day, he has to pay another year at a higher premium. I was wondering if he could insure it for just one day until hes 25 and then insure it for the year with whoever is cheapest.

Ariadne xx

Joyce

Re: car insurance question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »

It's a bummer indeed. But insurance companies aren't daft. He could say he's renewing on current policy, then cancel, but there would be cancellation fees which would probably cost a small fortune.

We've had problems like this in the past, unfortunately it's got to be paid. I do feel for him though, seems so unfair.

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »

I would tell them he wasn't renewing with them, doesn't need to explain why, then insure with someone else on his 25th bday, no driving for one day. It's so unfair for them, but I would just do that,

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:04 AM »

As Ariadne says car being uninsured isn't an option unless it's been declared on SORN. Another insurance company would check on these things as they always check information with previous insurers. Insurers will use any little thing to refuse you insurance these days. If refused it then has to be declared in future. Basically a black mark against you.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:51:46 AM by cubagirl »

ariadne

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »

Yes it can't be uninsured even for a day under new legislation. I'm still thinking a one day insurance for the day before his birthday is the way to go

Ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »

Probably best way to go. Daily insurance isn't cheap, but it'll probably be cheaper in the long run.  Good luck.

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »

don't most new policies give you a 14 day cooling off period, during which you can cancel the insurance?
not sure if this would work but might be worth a try?
of course nothing had better happen in that one day.....stay off the roads and wrap the car in bubble wrap!