Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen levels  (Read 6874 times)

2cats

Oestrogen levels
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »

Hi all,

My last blood test has shown oestrogen levels of 171....(I am on oestrodot 50 patches) which the dr said is a normal level.
So I guess this measure is coming from the patches?

Any help gratefully received.
 :)

Milamam

Re: Oestrogen levels
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »

I think so. When I take my blood tests while I am on HRT, they show normal and my  doctor says this is because of the therapy. I am not sure what they will be if I don't take HRT. 171 for estradiol is a good result, mine is about the same range, too.

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »

Can I ask what measurement yours are in? Mines in pmol and is 1001  :o ??? Just trying to figure out if that's too high?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »

Estelle - your oestrogen levels are deliberately different and higher because you are young and Studd is trying to stabilise you mental state.
Later on, once we are post meno and using HRT long term, then the level needs to be lower.
I believe a good level post meno is about 300-400 but others may know more about this than I do.
I had a blood test last autumn before I came off HRT and my oestrogen was 600 and they deemed that too high for me at my age (I'm 58)!!!!
When I was in my 40s I was on a very low dose HRT and I started getting Vaginal atrophy because I obviously needed more oestrogen!.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »

Hi 2 cats & Estelle

In UK oestradiol is usually measured in pmol/l

On a recent post of Estelle's I gave a link to the reference ranges for oestradiol throughout the menstrual cycle and thought I commented on this too. Here it is again (scroll down):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estradiol

I use 50 mcg Estradot and when mine were last measured Nov 2012 (think I also had them earlier this year but can't find what they are!) were 212 which is very close. You will see from the reference range that this is well within the range for 95% of fertile women in the follicualr phase of the menstrual cycle (Day 5). The point is whether you feel well on this? The actual levels at which symptoms will be eliminated will vary from woman to woman. As Dancinggirl says the levels will often need to be higher than the minimum for women to feel really good. When mine were measured in 2007 just before I went onto HRT and experiencing bad symptoms - they were only 65 which was very low - and I was not yet post-menopausal as had period 5 months previously so would have been likely to go even lower!!!

Estelle - as I said before that reading is again well within the range for the pre-ovulatory peak when oestrogen levels are at their highest. The point in your case is - firstly I don't know whether you are actually peri-menopausal or have always suffered low oestrogen which is now being treated ( a different issue).  Secondly if you are still having a cycle a single reading is meaningless. However we do not normally experience very high oestrogen levels all the time except when pregnant so if this level was found on Day 3 for example - I wonder what it would be like on Day 12-13 ( the pre-ov. peak?).

I think I mentioned that there are some occasions when women experience supra-physiological levels and suffer from tachyphylaxis and it stops working, but I understand this mainly occurs with oestrogen implants, and may not occur in situations like yours Estelle. If your levels are at least 1000 and more all through the cycle I would suggest this might be too high?

The difficulty is getting the levels right so that you feel good - the HRT levels is supposed to be an average over the menstrual cycle. One paper I read gave this as 370 (pmol/l).

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

Mine were just over 600 for ages and then I had a test last year and they had dropped to 300 something why would this be when using the same dosages of HRT, could it have been that my ovaries were still producing their own lil bit....in my 40's then but supposedly went over in late 30's.... :o

Milamam

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »

My estradiol before HRT -day 3 of cycle - was 69 pmol/l. The next cycle it was 46. That is when I got a recommendation to start HRT, and thats when I felt really terrible. Now with HRT estradiol is moving between 270-280pmol/l. The doctor says these results are very good and I do feel well on these levels.

Milamam

Chi chi

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »

That's the thing! I felt fantastic a couple of months after starting HRT now I feel back to square 1  :-\