Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help  (Read 9904 times)

libby1

Help
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »

Hi Girls

Now, I'm not panicking with health anxiety, just pre occupied  :-\ (makes a change!).

But how do you know whether, cold, numby feelings in arm, hand, lower leg and foot are meno related, a trapped nerve or ms? I had this before, about 4 years ago at the start of peri and saw a neurologist who said he didn't think it was ms but it was both sides then.

I'm fed up with going to the gp, feel like the last 4 years, it's been my second home  :(

I know if I go to the gp, I'll be referred, then I'll have to go through all the stress and worry that entails  :'(

Any advice? Am I going mad? Feeling fed up  :'(

Libby
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »

I think we have various symptoms as we age.  I have more sciatica these days = altered sensation down the legs/feet.  If I lay on my left side I get gradual intense pain down the leg which makes me turn over or get out of bed.

Exercising regularly keeps the skeleton healthy.  How is your diet generally?  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be hormone-led, i.e. waking in the night with arm/s numb with pins and needles.  These symptoms should be relieved on getting up in the morning.

libby1

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:37:48 PM »

Hi CLKD

My diet is good (apart from my sweet tooth  ::))  I know that I have 2 or 3 fused discs in my neck and carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. So, could be a trapped nerve but I'm not sure if that have an effect on hand and foot at the same time?

Also, it feels like I have cold water running down my arm and leg  :-\

Thanks for the reply  :) How are you doing?

Libby
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »

Have eaten lunch so not feeling too bad.  Nerves can be affected right the way down the body dependant upon ………. could you see a physiotherapist for advice?

I too have a sweet tooth, 1 only has to look into our stresscos trolley  ;D

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »

I have a severe neck problem and I have had 25 years of weird and wonderful body sensations ::) ::) I have been tested for ms many times with mri brain scans over the years just in case and of course I do not have it.  One neurologist said to me that if I did have ms ( before the advent of mri) then my symptoms over time on and off would inlcude loss of function and not just altered sensation.  He basically said if I start falling over come back.
So the chances are its down to irritated neck nerves but you need to moniter it over a few weeks to see if it worsens or you get true numbness ( I can feel numb but stick a pin in me and it hurts!) or you keep tripping or start dragging your leg or your hand won't work properly or you get vision problems then scamper back to GP forthwith.
No matter how weird the sensations in my body ( sometimes it feels as if giant ants are crawling up my head or leg etc) I have never ever lost any function.
If you do get referred then they would do a mri scan of brain - have you already had one of these??

libby1

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »

Hi Countrybumpkin

No, I've never had an MRI. And no, I don't have totally numb areas just a bit tingly and my hand and foot feels a bit like it's been slapped or has cold water running on it or that feeling when your hand is coming back to life after throwing snowballs!

Your reply was very sensible, so thank you  :)

Libby
x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »

Libby you have just remided me of the ice cold water feeling, I used to get it alot down the outside of my left calf into my heel and the first time I really thought I had stood in a puddle that had splashed up my leg ;D 
Another sensation I get is as if my leg is a tuning fork and someone is flicking it every few seconds :o  I have had this sensation occasionally for nearly 30 years, this was the sensation that sent me to neuro many many years ago.

libby1

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »

Countrybumpkin

I get that cold water feeling down the outside of my calf and along the top of my foot and down the outside of my forearm too. It's weird, not nice.

Libby
x

Poshpaws123

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »

Hi Libby1

I am the same, I kept going to the GP worrying about everything.

I even got referred for a brain scan, it was awful, the fear of my results were driving me mad.

It was nothing in the end. So Ive made a new rule for myself, if I get anything, I have to wait for two weeks then go to the GP.
It works, and usually after 2 weeks its gone.
Some things can be stress, I never feel stressed but it must be that.

libby1

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »

Countrybumpkin, did you get symptoms in your foot/leg and hand/arm?

Poshpaws, I think that you can be stressed and not realise it.

Libby
x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »

The cold water feeling only affected one leg/foot. The tuning fork feeling again only affects same leg/foot. 
I have problems all down my spine from neck to lumbar but I am also an anxious person although this has lessened with age ::)  So who knows whats the cause, maybe my very dogdy spine but just as easily anxiety symptoms. Having been scanned ( so far have had 14 mri scans of spine and brain etc) for what seems like forever because of course these scans are so sensitive they pick up everything that then needs further scans etc to make sure what they picked up is harmless no neuro disease have ever been detected!  This is the downside of scans.  So far they have picked up a brain cyst that required follow up scans for 4 years until the cyst disappeared of its own accord.  A neurofibroma on my thoracic spine ( I still worry its growing!) even though I was told I would have been born with it.  White matter in my brain that they  did not know what it was so requiring many follow up scan until a neuro said they now know its normal for some people 10 years after 1st scan!

libby1

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »

Wow, 14 mri's  :o  Why so many?  You're right, it sounds like having an mri is a double edge sword if it picks up stuff you didn't know or need to know  ::)

As an mri expert  ::) Would you not recommend having one unless absolutely necessary because what it could show up may worry you more? Difficult question, I know!!

Libby
x

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »

Libby how long has episode of altered sensations been going on for this time?

You won't know what is going on unless you get checked out. It might well be trapped nerves or something which can be sorted out. But unless you go and see your GP there's no way of finding out.

libby1

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »

Hi Limpy

I had it a couple of weeks ago for about a week then it disappeared now I've had it again for about a week. I don't have it in bed or when I first get up, it comes on about half an hour later but it's not continual throughout the day. I do have a gp appt next week so if I still have it I will go but I don't want to as I know I'll have to go through all the worry of being referred etc. And over the last 12 months, I've been referred 3 times for different problems (all ok).

Libby
x

catdude

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 09:51:13 PM »

I've had the 'cold water on leg' feeling a few times as well. It is very odd and I've honestly thought I had been splashed with water. It doesn't last long with me but it has happened several times. Not sure why but I had always put it down to anxiety, however, I do have osteoarthritis of the spine and degenerative disc disease so thinking about it now, it could well be nerve related.
Pages: [1] 2