Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Elleste Duet: really struggling, advice please!  (Read 6523 times)

Laneychubb

Elleste Duet: really struggling, advice please!
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »

Hi, I am 20 tablets into my first course of Elleste duet 1mg. even tho I hadn't had a period for over 6 months I've been put on these and I thought it a bit strange that I was prescribed HRT that'd make me have periods again. Because of this issue I put off starting them at all, but I just couldn't cope with the flushes, night sweats etc so decided to try them.
I felt great on the first 14 day tablets and saw a lot of improvement even tho I still have flushes they weren't as overwhelming and other things improved also. I felt better in myself than I had in years.
But having had 6 days of the green tablets I feel utterly ill. I use to have horrendous periods with a bad build up to actually starting to bleed, and then they'd be so heavy I was confined to the house and became anaemic. Now I'm right back there again, I can't function and have a blinding menstrual headache and bad cramps. I dread starting to bleed if it's going to happen.
What do I do? Stop immediately, not take anymore and see the GP asap? Or do I crack on in the hope things improve ( but if they don't then I can't handle this) or do I raid the next packet to take the first 14 day white ones until I see the doctor, would the white pills put a halt to these menstrual symptoms?
Please can I have your thoughts, I don't know what to do and I feel so ill.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:03:14 PM by Laneychubb »

Liz

Re: Elleste Duet: really struggling, advice please!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »

Oh dear, I'm not an expert (there are really helpful and knowledgeable ladies on here who will hopefully come along soon).... but it sounds like you may be having an adverse reaction to the Progesterone in your tablets.  I experienced this when I first tried combined patches, but am now trying separate oestrogen patches and Utrogestan (progesterone), which is supposedly much kinder to the system.   

How soon do you think you can get to see your GP?

Laneychubb

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »

Thanks for your reply, it'll probably be Tuesday before I can see the doctor, I'm supposed to be at work on Monday but if I feel this bad I may have to go sick in which case I'd try to get an appointment Monday.

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »

Hi laneychubb
I started elleste duet last age43 and tried it for 6 months but each time on green tabs I felt horrible. Lots of people can't tolerate it so after reading up on here I got Femoston 1/10 it is much better for loads of people. Your age will have something to do with HRT that gives you a bleed and you only went 6 months without one, ask to change to Femoston and give it a few months you'll probaly feel better

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »

Hi Laneychubb

If you used to get very bad pms during the build up to your period it could be that you are progesterone intolerant, or else very susceptible to the rapid drop in progoesterone that occurs in the second half of the menstural cycle just before the monthly bleed.

When I first used HRT I had patches that contained norethisterone and they gave me migraines and I hated them so changed to a "natural" progesterone (ie bio-identcial = Utrogestan)

One alternative is that you could ask for a Mirena coil which gives a constant level of progestogen onto the womb lining and very little gets into system. It thins the lining and eventually periods stop for many women, after some irregular spotting or bleeding. In your case if you are almost post-meno you may not get much bleeding at all.  Many women find this ideal although there are some also who react to the progestogen - even the little that gets through.

The other alternative is to try Femoston as Millykin suggests or oestrogen with separate Utrogestan (which I use) and which Liz is starting.

Unfortunately with cyclical HRT you will always get some pmt just before the bleed but it may not be so severe with a more natural progestogen.

You don't say how old you are but if your periods were really sporadic before the last one that you had 6 months ago then perhaps you are nearly post-meno?  You could first of all find an HRT type where you tolerate the progestogen (one of the ones suggested) and if you are OK on the progestogen part, but still get pmt just before the bleed (for the first few days after stopping the second phase) then you could ask the doc if you could try the equivalent no-bleed type. Although this is only for post-menopausal women ( no bleed for a year) some women are offered it earlier - the downside is you may get irregular spotting/bleeding if your own cycle kicks in - but you most likely wouldn't get the bad pmt.

Finally if you suffer from migraines, then transdermal HRT is recommended - but obviously if your headache is due to the progestogen or normal pmt just before the bleed then you should be fine with tablets.

Bit of a ramble but hopefully it helps!

Hurdity x