Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bowel incontinence?  (Read 7312 times)

bev567901

Bowel incontinence?
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »

I have searched but cannot see any links about this previously. One of my first peri symptoms was a change in bowel habits. I always seem to get diarreah during & especially at the end of a period but like most symptoms they are magnified in peri. In the last year I have had a few episodes of pooing myself quite unexpectedly but nothing much. Not due to stress I can be doing virtually anything. Today was very different & rather awful. I am
not ill or anything. It's funny as I do need to wee continually these days & I am often up in the night but have never experienced leakage in that department yet. It was a bit like carry on as this happened 10 mins before our estate agent desk staff came to have a look around our house which is up for sale, I had to pretend our cat had an accident as I knew the bleach/air freshner was a give away. It was a complete farce & brandy was needed urgently!! Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bowel incontinence?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »

Could be lax spincter muscles?  Quite common as we age and a chat with your Practice Nurse or GP is essential. There are physio exercises that can help as well as a thorough check up to make sure nothing more is amiss  ;)

Nerves can cause bowel activity without us realising until it's too late ……….

So you're moving?

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »

I see from your profile that you are 51.  I'm no expert but I would have thought that faecal incontinence is pretty unusual in someone so young and any GP should refer you for investigations. 

You say that 'today was different'.  Any change in bowel habit should be checked out by medical professionals.  Have you had a colonoscopy recently?   

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »

You really should visit your GP to discuss this.  Not a nice thing to happen at all but there is lots of help for this kind of thing.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:03 PM »

I agree that you should definitely mention this to your GP. Info on the problem here http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/incontinence-bowel/pages/introduction.aspx

Taz x

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

I've had a couple of accidents where i went to the toilet in my knickers.
Since  peri started, mornings are my worse time for bowels.
I have to ensure I am empty before I leave.
My farts get really hot and silent, which is now a warning for me.
My doctor has prescribed mebeverine for the IBS that is at the root of this.

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 04:22:14 AM »

If this is new, then get it checked!

I'm afraid bowel incontinence is something I have had to cope with occasionally. I have had IBS since I was a teenager. When I go out and am anxious about it, I wear a sanitary towel, which can give me a chance to get to a loo without soiling my clothes and gives me peace of mind. I was advised to take Immodium the night before something important, or where access to a loo is difficult, such as flying. I tend towards constipation, but things can swing very much the other way. I find Immodium used sparingly does not cause constipation. Hormones have always played a part. Symptoms always flared up during a period and the menopause has made things worse. Last accident was a few weeks ago while taking ABs.

What has helped me is fybogel, 1 sachet a day if I have diarrhoea (helps to regulate) and 2 for constipation. Also I check any persistent bowel changes with the doctor for safety and reassurance. Oh, how I love the days when my bowels function normally and I don't have to think about them or where the loo is. Oh and it is usual to have an irritated bladder while your bowels are irritated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »

Certainly when menstruating I had 'the runs' about 10 mins before a period began so had to find a loo at once.  Even if a bleed wasn't due 'the runs' would be a warning.  I got so I wouldn't travel in the days leading up ………

As suggested, make that appt and let us know how you get on!

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »

Hello bev.

I am one of those women who always had diarrhoea with a period, usually on day two of the bleed. Since using patches I've noticed smaller, looser stool every morning and more gurgling/wind.  I had a routine colonoscopy on Tuesday and my bowel is completely normal so I'm convinced that hormones are the culprit.

I agree that it's worth talking to your doctor but you may find a tweak in HRT will sort you out.

Take care.

K.

bev567901

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »

Thank you ladies. I will mention it to the GP. I do think it is hormonal though sometimes the cramps bring on an attack. I seem worse at the end of a period these days & wonder if it's because pain killer use stops as I have to take something due to cramps & headaches. I shall laugh about this you have to! Along with all the other accidents over the years involving flooding especially the unnoticed ones. We should write a book. I still feel
20 in my head it's such a shock to look in the mirror these days & have a body that is falling apart but I'm going to accept it gracefully. It's such a shock seeing school friends for the first time in 30 yrs & thinking how mature they look or young relatives you remember as 5 years old who now have children. Where did the time go? Xx

peegeetip

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 02:07:28 PM »

Hi Bev

Sorry to hear about your problem.  :(

In an earlier post you mentioned you were on Zoloft/Sertraline.

http://www.drugsdb.com/rx/zoloft/zoloft-and-diarrhea/

Has your doctor not mentioned this to you? Perhaps he needs to prescribe something to alleviate this.

:-*