Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: mammograms  (Read 10507 times)

Rowan

Re: mammograms
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »

Its only fair to add that I have had mammograms from my thirties as a Service dependant at BMH hospitals (different practice to NHS) I also have had a breast reduction, and had one before and when healed, all that was picked up was some scar tissue, I am sure that if there was anything to be found it would have been when my breast surgeon rummaged around. 

My last one left me feeling sick and shaky, I expect  it was just the though of all my breast surgeons careful very clever work being squashed flat, not that I have much there now. It was then I decided no more!

I was also told that it takes about 10 years from when  a cancer cell starts to divide until it is visible on a mammogram reading.

LizeeeH

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »

I also had a mammo in my 30's, a locum GP examined me and one side was quite thick I told him it had been like that ages and I did do a lot of weight lifting in the gym but he sent me for a mammo any way and have had 2 lots of the 3 yearly ones but getting recalled for one cos the xray wasn't good enough ( that really freaked me!) so now it faces me again, I will go when Ive had all my xrays for my hips etc, maybe next year :)

catdude

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »

I had my first one this year which I found absolutely fine - no pain, slight discomfort but nothing really.

Whether the pros outweigh any cons however, I don't know but if I didn't go I suspect I would end up worrying that I had missed an opportunity to pick up any problems so I think I will continue to attend.

tiger74

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »

I was also told that it takes about 10 years from when  a cancer cell starts to divide until it is visible on a mammogram reading.

That may be the case for a minority of breast cancers but it is a VERY MISLEADING thing to say.  If this were the case why is the national screening programme set at 3 yearly intervals?  Surely 10 yearly would be sufficient (perish the thought).

My following comments won't surprise anyone who has read my previous posts...

Personally I wish that routine mammograms were available in UK from a younger age and with more frequency, as is the case in some other countries.  That way, my large multifocal grade 3 cancerous mass would have been detected way before it was palpable by me (at the age of 47).  Then maybe I would be sitting here with two breasts instead of one and a whole load more lymph nodes, maybe I would not then   have had to undergo chemotherapy, radiotherapy and endocrine therapy in order to stay alive. 

For those of you who are wavering because of the discomfort of the actual mammography procedure, let me assure you that disfiguring surgery and other cancer treatments are a lot more uncomfortable.

The exposure to radiation with each mammogram is roughly similar to flying in an airliner for a few hours. http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/node/1154051

If DCIS is detected, a person can make a decision with what treatment to proceed.  Oncologists make recommendations, patients decide whether to consent to treatment.  When all is said and done, DCIS is a carcinoma, it is not pre-cancerous.  If left, by the time that person returns for a mammogram 3 years later, depending on the grade, it could have become an invasive cancer which may or may not have metastasised beyond the breast.
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/primary-breast-cancer/types-primary-breast-cancer/ductal-carcinoma-situ-dcis

By the way, not all breast cancers are detectable by mammography so breast awareness and self-examination are also recommended.

I think it's probably pretty clear which side of the fence I am on!  That said, if someone chooses to opt out of mammography and/or self examination, I accept that they make that choice.  For those who are interested, IMHO the Breast Cancer Care website is an excellent source of information.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:39:40 PM by tiger74 »

Rowan

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »

I was in no means intending to be misleading I was just quoting a fact I was told years ago by a Consultant, I assumed he meant that by the time it can be seen on a mammogram it had been there for about 10 years.

We have all given our opinions as you have.

LizeeH was posing her dilemma and we responded.

I certainly agree with what you said "By the way, not all breast cancers are detectable by mammography so breast awareness and self-examination are also recommended"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:53:49 AM by silverlady »

rosebud57

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »

I think screening at 3 yearly intervals is more to do with economics that what's good for the patient.  I doubt if the NHS could not afford to screen yearly.  I have long believed our health care is controlled by the amount of funding available and what drug the pharmaceutical companies can make the most money out of by convincing doctors we need them.  But then I'm just a skeptic!!!

Dyan

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

Just had one recently and result came back clear.
I had my first one at 46 due to finding a walnut shaped lump which turned out to be calcification and then I had another 2 years ago because I was getting pain in my boobs. This was hormonal.
These were done privately so the one I had recently was my first on the NHS.
I would certainly go each time I'm called up.

tiger74

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »

I agree rosebud57, my opinion is also that the 3 yearly interval is more about funding restrictions and the time will probably never come whereby the NHS can afford blanket annual screening.  If a high grade breast cancer were too small to be detectable on a mammogram, by 3 years later it could be very big, invasive and metastatic.   

I accept that there is only so much funding to go around.  I am eternally grateful that I live in a country with an NHS - without which I would not have even survived infancy.  I am also personally grateful that limited funds are prioritised so that people like me are given yearly mammograms (until age 70) because (in spite of no family history of breast cancer) I have a BRCA1 gene variation which has been detected since my diagnosis.   

As the original post was about a dilemma about whether to go for a mammogram or not, I duly apologise if anyone objects to my having gone 'off topic' somewhat.  I was truly shocked to be diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 47, the size and grade added to the shock and the surgery and treatment have changed my life in ways I would not even have imagined.  I may be teaching the sucking of eggs but if I can spread the word about breast awareness I will - and I don't apologise for that.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and is happy and content with whatever choices they make. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:41:39 PM by tiger74 »

Linsey44

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »

I am with tiger74 on this one, regardless of how uncomfortable or anxious the waiting time for results mammos are offered for a reason.

I have BRCA2 gene mutation and although its entirely my choice i am going through process for double masectomy and reconstructive surgery which involves a 10 hr op and they will take tissue from my buttock and reconstruct breast with it, recovery time is approx4/6 weeks.  However since they can only do one side at a time i have a 3 month gap then have to go through the other side being done.  The first time ignorance will be bliss, second time will be more of a mental challenge.

I wish sometimes i was more normal and just have to go through 3 yearly mamos, but on the other hand i am lucky to know this and can be proactive and hopefully not get cancer.

Hurdity

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »

So sorry to read your story tiger74 and I agree with what you've said.

I had my first one at age 52 when I was called by the NHS and have attended every one since. They have not caused me any discomfort - just a squashing feeling - and I would rather have one than not. I do examine my breasts too. They have all been clear - but prior to this in my 30's and 40's - I have had lumpy breasts. I suffered from fibroadenosis when in my fertile years, had mastitis several times because of this while feeding my babies, and have had two lumps in the past (while still fertile) - one a fibro-adenoma which was measured with U/S scan - but left untreated. The other was a galactocoele ( I think that's the word) - milk lump - on account of lumpy breasts.

I will attend any future appointments without hesitation.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »

Linsey....Well done you. I read lots of the details of this due to high profile celebrities. I would do what you are doing .

You are a very courageous lady....the forum has got quite a few....and I really respect what you have chosen to do.

I will carry on having my mammograms. I think they are offered for a very good reason.

Let us know when you are going for surgery. We will all be here to support you if we can.

Honeyb
x

Linsey44

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »

Thank you HB, going to see photos of sugeons handiwork when i get back from hol before i decide exactly which type of reconstruction i want but veering towards tissue from bum as this has effect of butt lift, might as well get something positive out of it.

I am watching a friend go thru breast cancer treatment just now and struggle with effects of her 1st cycle of chemo and its something that most people would want to avoid if they had prior warning.

Ju Ju

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »

They make it very clear that mammograms are not infallible. In fact, my sister found her breast lump by self examination and yet they couldn't see it on the mammogram. Mind you that was 17 years ago. But lumps are detected and I have had scares, which fortunately proved to be benign. I loathe having the mammogram done. I find it painful, but then other medical procedures are painful and that is not an excuse for me not to have them. I have a responsibility to myself and to my family to give myself a fighting chance if breast cancer was detected.

Linsey44

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 07:48:55 AM »

Hi juju. I get that tests are not always accurate, at the moment i get annual physical exam from surgeon, mamo and mri which i have to admit im not too keen on the small space you lie in but i also examine myself regularly.

All any of us can do is look after ourselves as best we can to minimise any illness so hopefully our families dont have to watch us go through tough treatment.

I too have had scares with breast lumps before i knew i had brca2 and wasnt unduly worried at time but knowing i have this gene i dont know if i will be so calm next time.

As far as i am aware after reconstruction we stop being offered nhs screening. However i am in cyprus at moment and taking time to source clinics that offer this at very reasonable prices so its something i will continue to do at least annually.

minkusmum

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »

I think they have a good system here in Switzerland. All healthcare is private and costs a fortune, but there is a charity which offers 2 yearly mammograms to women over the age of 50. Afterwards, instead of keeping the x-rays, which are your property because you paid for them, they are sent to the charity which funds research into breast cancer. And all this means the procedure costs a fraction of what it usually does. It's still uncomfortable though...
Pages: 1 [2] 3