Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi looking for advise  (Read 1966 times)

Millykin

Hi looking for advise
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »

Hi
I'm 44 and have been peri meno for few years, 2011 periods every 2 months, 2012 every 3 months, 2013 6 months passed had few night sweats anxiety etc, GP done bloods and said peri meno. Tried Elleste duet for 6 months first 3 ok period each month, then nothing next 3. Didn't like that HRT so stopped. Went back in April and got Femeston 1/10. Again great for first 3 months then sweats anxiety and no periods. No bleed isn't bothering me but was just wondering if I need higher dose? My GP did say I can up it if I want she is very good. I decided to stick with low dose for now. What I was wondering was if I don't up dose and don't take a period will it be harmful? If I go 2 years without a bleed am I on to next stage of menopause?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi looking for advise
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »

:welcomemm:  sorry I can't help with your queries but wanted to welcome you anyway.  Maybe read the menus, left of screen.  There is a search button too, if you type in the name of the medication you will find any discussions here about how ladies have coped.  We have a 'funny' room too  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »

Hi Millykin

:welcomemm: from me too.

If you go without a period for 12 months you are classed as post-menopausal - although there are a few women who have the odd period after 12 months has passed. Any bleeding after the 12 months has to be investigated to rule out cancer or pre-cancerous changes in the womb lining.

It doesn't matter of you don't get a bleed - with proprietary brands of HRT it usually means you simply have not built up enough lining to shed each month. This happens to a proportion of women on HRT and especially as you reach menopause and beyond.

If you are still suffering from sweats, and it begins to bother you, then yes you could try 2/10. I presume you have been tested for thyroid etc - recently or when you had the bloods done?

If you are on HRT then you won't know definitely that you are post-menopausal, because the withdrawal bleeds on this are artificial.

As I am sure you are aware it is advised to stay on HRT at least until the natural average age of menopause of 51-52.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

Hi Huridity
Thanks for your reply, very helpful and explained perfectly, I have read a list of posts on here recently and you seem to be so full of knowledge so glad you read mine  :)
Yes I had thyroid checked when they done bloods think that's routine by reading posts. I will be staying on HRT till average age just wasn't sure when I would have to change to oestrogen only. So I think I got this right.... Stay on combined even if I don't bleed then if get to 50s with no bleed for least a year then can move onto oestrogen only if needed? Sorry sound pretty stupid but as you know it can be confusing!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »

Hi again

I'm just old (61) and have been doing menopausal stuff & HRT for a few years - since age 54 approx.

No you don't change to oestrogen only - that's only if you've had a hysterectomy. If you have a womb the progestogen protects it from over thickening due to too much oestrogen

When you are post-menopausal most women change from cyclical HRT which gives a monthly withdrawal bleed (2 weeks oestrogen only + 2 weeks oestrogen and progestogen combined) to continuous combined (no bleed) HRT  - which is oestrogen and progestogen taken together every day. The progestogen keeps the lining thin so it doesn't need to be shed.

Not at all stupid and yes confusing - when I started out I knew next to nothing about menopause and HRT despite having degree in Biology! It's interesting to read about it all and to understand what's happening - and I find all the research papers interesting too.

Hurdity x

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »

61 is not old these days !
Thanks for explaining fully understood  :D
It is all interesting and I suppose when women hit menopause a lot read up on everything like yourself or some ask lots of questions like me lol.
Thanks for everything being on this site is really helping already. I'm going to enjoy getting involved.

Millykin
X