Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Kitchen table Grrrrrr  (Read 11283 times)

groundhog

Kitchen table Grrrrrr
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »

Boring title I know.  Since the meno ( and possibly before) my decision making ability has not been good.  Anyway just got rid of our old table and corner bench unit thing,  time for a change.  The thing is I'm ashamed to say we don't eat at the table much.  I have always had a largish table as I tend to host Christmas and Easter lunch but I'm afraid no more.  I find it quite stressful and a lot of work.  So anyway I have looked online and in shops for the perfect table - I wanted a smallish one with two nice comfy dining chairs - we would use it just for snacks and coffees and watching tv maybe.  We went to M&S - mistake shopping with my husband.  We picked a table and 2 chairs ( not cheap) and it's arrived - I don't like it.  This is typical of me!  The colour of the pedestal is different to what I thought and it's too big.  Plus it extends so now I am able to play host again which I don't want!!!!  I did consider all of this in the shop but my husband always talks me into things!!
So ladies do you all have big table And do you host Christmas dinner.  Not sure if i can even send it back and it's such a hassle .   Why can't I make a decision and be happy with it!   

bramble

Re: Kitchen table Grrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »

Maybe you will grow to like it (and nobody will know it extends but you!). I know what you mean though - spending lots of time thinking and checking and then buying the best  and then finding I don't like it or it does not live up to the reviews (see my mower post). You can send it back I think although it may not be possible if you saw it/bought it in the shop. Good luck.
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »

You don't have to cater for anything that you don't want to.

This is my first small house for 27 years and I simply don't have room to sit loads of people and its bliss. I have a small dining table, a glass one, that sits four comfortably and five at a push. My last dining table sat 14 and I was expected to host every thing and even when family were not at my house I had to cater for everyone at my sister's.

I called time on that four years ago and the first year was awful but so worth it.

I agree with Bramble, don't tell anyone that your table extends if you decide to keep it. It may well grow on you.
I too sometimes have problems making decisions. I usually do loads of looking online before making my mind up.

Enjoy your new furniture if you can and stick to your guns about not cooking unless you really want to.

Honeyb
x

purplenanny

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »

I think it is a brilliant title Groundhog ;D

By coincidence we are about to change our dining set, which we have had for 27 years!! It has taken 5 years to reach this decision as hubby does not like changing anything >:( and so I put up with things to save his anxiety! Having said that I am useless making decisions - I always worry in case I don't like it when it arrives!

So, decision made, but do you think I can find anything I like!!! soooo frustrating! My current one is extendable but we don't host dinners or anything any more :( so may choose a smaller one. We do like to eat at the table, for all meals. Always have done and lucky enough to have a dining room to do so

It is horrible to take delivery and realise it is not suitable, something I always dread, so I do sympathise with you. Does your husband like it?  Things always look so different in the shop.
M & S are very good, I am sure they would take it back and it is better to have the hassle than live with something you don't like

I hope you get it sorted
:bighug:

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »

I have to admit that I love hosting Christmas dinner!  But our house is very small, with no dining room, and there is limited space in the kitchen, so hosting big meals is 'interesting'!!  However, most big meals I host are for friends who I know will happily eat off their knees, so a big table is not necessary.  We are planning on having the kitchen re-fitted next year and are seriously considering getting rid of the table altogether - we're going to have a breakfast bar that will seat the 3 of us if we want, and will give me lots more worktop and storage space.  Any big meals we host will be served buffet-style!  I'll lay the food out on the breakfast bar and my guest will help themselves, then sit where they like to eat - it will work well for us, but I know it wouldn't suit everyone!

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »

Thanks ladies .  Im such a nightmare .  I have spent so long looking for the right table - can't believe I got it wrong. The size - yes as you say no one need know.  I do feel a bit mean saying I'm not doing it anymore but I have alwqys hosted everything and it is exhausting and as you may know from my other posts things are a bit tense at the moment.    This year also we cannot host Christmas as my mother would not be able to manage the toilet etc here.  So my daughter has agreed to host. I am having major surgery in January and so cannot see me hosting anything for a long while.  So I do not need a big table - it's not huge 120cm diameter.  But the chairs look crowded and the pedestal is putty coloured which looks grey next to my kitchen units.
Oh poop!!!  My husband went mad when he called home to see it as he thinks it's ok ( but he always does because at the end of the day to him - it's a table ).  I phoned M&S and they will take it back but I have to pay £50 as reason for return is changed mind.  There is nothing wrong with it and it is as described but it just doesn't go :(
Beam me up  :hotflash:

purplenanny

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »

Oh that's a shame groundhog. Wow £50 is a lot!

How about painting the kitchen to match? ::) joking, I am just joking!!

Best of luck for your op in January. PN x x

littleminnie

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

If you don't like it send it back, I would. It's worth the £50 if you don't like it.
Have a look at Next (in the catalogue or online). Also John Lewis, although they don't have a lot of choice.

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »

If you buy online you have 14 days to return due to distance selling regulations but if you have seen the item this cannot apply. I got caught out this way once and it is so very frustrating. I hope that you can resolve this to your satisfaction.

I also struggle badly with hosting family meals especially at Christmas and, there again, our current dining table is small round with 4 chairs. It can extend but not much and 6 adults is a squeeze. 4 adults and 2 small grandchildren is ok but hubby in his wisdom cleared out the loft this summer and gave 3 old dining chairs to the charity that takes furniture for poor families so now we have to buy a couple of folding chairs for when family comes as the garden chairs are too low  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »

Oh dear, nothing worse than a change of mind. I got rid of a very expensive table years ago, bought a little pine gateleg table from JL. Chairs fold away & are stored in table. Table is great but omg the chairs! So uncomfy. Doesn't encourage you to stay seated for long. I would like a new set, but would have to be really small as room doubles as spare bedroom. There's an equally uncomfortable futon in it. So we don't sit at table very often, Christmas only with lots of cushions.

However, I think the £50 fee would be worth it.

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »

If you don't like it, send it back. £50 is a lot, but you will forget that in a few months, but will you grow to like the table in that time or will you always dislike it?

Have I missed something? Have you made a decision to have your op? A relief to have made that decision? Ju Ju xx

PS I host Christmas, well I lay the table and clear up, lovely daughter cooks. She actually enjoys cooking, not like me! I'm more talented loading the dishwasher!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:06 PM »

You could have gone to auction, 'brown' furniture needs a good home right now  :'( ....... you could have picked up something nice for a tenner around  here with chairs at a fiver each.  We have a large dining room table - covered with DH's hobbies, computer screen, stuff to sell, stuff to research - no way will I be clearing that in a hurry - would need to dust it if I did  ;D

The smaller 1 in the kitchen - likewise - covered with 4 orchid plants and stuff.  Again, no way!

Could you cover it with a cloth?

purplenanny

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »

Sorry to jump on your thread groundhog but CLKD said something of interest to me - should I auction my old (50 years+)oak table and chairs CLKD? The table has twisted legs and the chairs have a small engraved flower on the back. Be grateful for advice.
 PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »

Depends on how much you want for it?  Remember that auction houses take a % from the seller, as well as a % from the buyer when items are sold; + a handling fee and VAT.  Have a look-see at your local auction place to see what is selling.  Take a photo and send to the 'house' for advice?  Auctions can be FUN  8) ............ go along 1 night before making the decision; we did 6 years ago and haven't stopped since ....... we sold a pine changing unit with drawers under earlier this year and expected it to fetch a tenner, were nicely surprised when it fetched over £70!

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »

Have to say CLKD if I bought a new table I would not want to cover it up  :o

I would say return it if you really don't like it. Next is very good, that's where I got my glass topped table and chairs from.
Hubby and I don't sit in the dining room if we are on our own. I have a large breakfast bar that sits three. It's great and I love it.

You can get round tables that have chairs that push right in to save on space. They look beautiful.

Just seen your post purplenanny. Don't know about your area but up here you can't get rid of dark wood furniture for love nor money. The last house we had had large traditional furniture to match the age of the house. When we moved I had an auction house come to look and was really shocked about how little it was worth. I ended up giving some really good stuff to charity just to get rid of it. My dining table was actually an antique as it belonged to my step father.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2 3