Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Given Wrong HRT?  (Read 10187 times)

Purpletabbycat

Given Wrong HRT?
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:02 PM »

Hi everyone.

Can someone please help me, I think I've been given the wrong type of HRT.

I'm 51 and for the past 2.5 months I've been on Elleste Duet 1mg.  This has helped my meno symptoms somewhat but I felt I needed something stronger as still having bad night sweats.  Also, when I'm on the progesterone tablets I get an allergic reaction: streaming nose and severe itching. This plays havoc with my asthma, so needed to come off it.

Saw my GP today and he's put me on Premique which yes, has a different type of progesterone but I think it is for post-menopausal women and I am definitely peri-menopausal.  I had my last 'normal' (I.e. Not HRT induced) period back in March/April.

I did mention Femoston to him but he seemed to gloss over what I'd said.

What do I do? I feel so frustrated because I also have to carry on taking the Elleste until I have finished the packet (8 tablets) even though there is an obvious allergic reaction which is making me feel rotten.

And what do I do? Ring the GP and tell him he's got it wrong? Or should I speak to the practice nurse as she is a lady of a similar age to me (no female GP at practice).

I'm so frustrated I could cry.

Any help gratefully received with thanks
xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Given Wrong HRT?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »

I'm sure someone will be along soon ……. have you read the menus, left of screen?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:16:39 PM »

Hi purpletabbycat

Yes you've been given the wrong type - sorry to hear about this yet again and that the doctor did not listen to you. The prem types of HRT are old fashioned now but happen to be the cheapest so perhaps that's why they reach for these.

I would ring the surgery and tell the receptionist this - that it's a no-bleed HRT for post-menopause and you are not. At the same time I would ask for Femoston 2/10 which is a higher dose of oestrogen ( if that's what you are wanting) and will give a bleed every 4 weeks.

If you have an allergic reaction I would ask for a change straight away - although changing progestogen half-way through the course might be difficult. You could try to change straight onto the Femoston second half of the pack though?

Good luck with the doc!

Hurdity x

Purpletabbycat

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »

Thank you so much Hurdity and CLKD.  I'll ring the surgery in the morning.

Can I ask the receptionist if I can try Femoston?  After reading about the different types, this is the one I'd like to try.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »

I was just assuming the receptionist would pass on the information to your doctor who should then ring you if you stress to the receptionist you would like to speak to him. The Premique won't do you any actual harm but it is pointless to have been given the wrong one and to start it and then have to change. If you've had to pay for it they should give you a correct one free of charge since it is their mistake.

Be prepared to argue as to why you want the Femoston - the 2 mg gives a higher oestrogen dose (which you said you wanted) and the progestogen in this preparation (called dydrogesterone) is closer to our own body's progesterone than any of the other synthetic ones.

Hurdity x

Purpletabbycat

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »

Thank you Hurdity. I will speak to the receptionist tomorrow. I didn't have to pay as I have a pre-payment card.

I shall try and make my case for Femoston. It's frustrating that we have to fight to get what we want, isn't it?

Thank you so much for your help. xx

Purpletabbycat

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I did stop taking the tablets mid-way through the progestogen tablets?

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »

I stopped taking the elleste green tablets after one week and continued with the next lot of white ones when I could stand the pain from the aching no longer.  I had a bleed as usual, but maybe slightly less - hard to tell.

As it took a while to get the doctors appointment, I continued with the white ones and then moved onto the progestogen containing pills in the femeston, which I have just finished.  Hopefully I will get a bleed just the same - will see.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »

Any news?

Purpletabbycat

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »

Well, I spoke to my GP and he was very dismissive.  Apparently "some HRT makes you have a bleed and some doesn't. It's just the way they work."

I got the distinct feeling that he didn't have a clue. Either that or he thought he obviously knew better than me.

So I shall take the Premique for three months, see how I get on with it and then go back. I may go back to see another GP in the practice, although he's the one that originally put me on Clonidine!  ::) So I'm not very optimistic!

Thank you everyone for your help and concern xx

ETA: after being made to feel like I didn't know what I was talking about, I didn't feel up to discussing Femoston.  I'll leave that for another day if the Premique does not agree with me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:16:01 PM by Purpletabbycat »

Purpletabbycat

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the long-term effects of me being on the wrong HRT will be?

I'm so frustrated and fed up.

Liz

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »

Personally I dont think you should accept the wrong HRT.  I think your doctor should sort it out for you, rather than expecting you to carry on for 3 months and then change to the correct one.  It's not acceptable.

Purpletabbycat

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »

I think you're right.

However, I've spoken to him today and he insists it's the right medication. I really don't know what to do. Other than go see someone privately and then I'll probably need a referral from my GP.  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »

Have a chat with a Pharmacist in your local 'chemist'?  Most have private rooms now ……..

Purpletabbycat

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »

Really? Hmm, that's a good idea.

Thank you x
Pages: [1] 2