Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Ring  (Read 3020 times)

flirtynomore

Vaginal Ring
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »

Hi
I've suffered menopausal symptoms for ten years but the most upsetting has been the vaginal atrophy and associated problems. I am unable to take HRT because I have previously had breast cancer - twice! I've been prescribed cream, pessaries and now the vaginal ring.  The ring has proved to be the most successful with one embarrassing side effect. I have developed an unpleasant smell.  I'm trying my best to overcome this - feminine wash, feminine deodorant but the smell remains.  I can only describe it as similar to baked beans!! I now this sounds funny but I can assure you it is not.  I have never been a 'smelly' person down there and I know its putting my partner off - especially with oral sex.  I have looked into whether there are any other vaginal rings I can get but it seems there is only one product on the market. Has anyone else suffered this side effect and have they been able to counteract it successfully?

Dancinggirl

Re: Vaginal Ring
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM flirtynomore
I am using the Estring and I think it is quite common to get a bit of thrush of bacterial vaginitis.  If it's smelly it's more likely to be bacterial vaginitis and the best thing to get is a vaginal gel or pessary that helps to restore the acidic balance in the vagina that will stop the bacteria from thriving.  There are a number of products e.g. Multi gyn Actigel, Hyloafemme - simply google BV vaginal treatments.
I occasionally take the Estring out and put in a load of Multi Gyn Actigel up inside and then put the ring back in - I do this after a shower before going to bed and it really helps.  I use a small amount each night which I just smear up inside and round the outside to keep things ticking over.
Hope that helps.  Dg x

flirtynomore

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »

Thanks dancing girl. Really helpful advice. I did Google 'BV' and this is what I found on NHS site. Scroll down to see what other women have tried to combat this. Very worthwhile putting my problem out there. Thanks so much :)
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bacterialvaginosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 07:53:32 AM »

Interesting reading.  The list of the things to do to avoid getting BV and thrush are quite important - prevention is often the key to most things. I haven't used soap on my girlie bits for many,many years - I just use either aqueous cream or specific washing gels that are for that area. I now always use thin liners which I change regularly again, to stop any contamination from other sources.  I find keeping the area cool very difficult as my lifestyle means I need to wear trousers and now I'm off HRT I sweat a lot more which is challenging.  I tend to wear my trousers quite loose(I go up a size) and avoid sitting down as much as possible.
Using these gels or pessaries that keep the flora balance in the vagina are a godsend.
I think as we get into meno despite using HRT or local oestrogen it is still very difficult to keep things healthy around the vaginal area.   Oh the joys of getting older!!! :-\ DG x