Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3288 times)

starfish

« on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »

Hi

I wanted to say hello and that I've been reading the forum for several weeks - it's absolutely wonderful.

I'm 47, peri (FSH 99.8 last year) and my worst symptoms by far have been palpitations and anxiety. It took referral to a cardiologist for a connection with menopause to be made - previous to that I had a GP telling me that I could 'never' have HRT because of my 'cardiac problems' (frequent ectopics, worse around period time). I was also told by a GP that menopause did not cause anxiety and sleep problems. What planet was he from?? The cardiologist I saw was great and said fluctuating hormones were very likely responsible and it would be fine and probably helpful for me to take HRT if and when I wanted to - I got him to put this in writing! He also explained how badly stress could affect the body and I have been a lot better since doing everything I can to reduce stress and exercise/sleep/eat better etc. Still like a glass of wine in the evening though...

Actually I have not yet tried HRT because I am doing better this year, and am lucky that red clover seems to be controlling my hot flushes - for the moment at least. I do  take a low dose beta blocker daily, and I also have some temazepam and also xanax (again at the Cardio's recommendation) for very bad days. Just having them to hand seems to help me.

Again I think this forum is absolutely great and my heart goes out to anyone suffering badly with peri & meno symptoms and thanks to everyone who has posted such helpful information.

Starfish x

Hurdity

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »

Hi starfish

:welcomemm:

Good to hear your story - at least the second part! Glad you are feeling OK for now but you know that should you need it HRT is always available if your symptoms become intolerable and affect your quality of life.

In the meantime make the most of this relatively calm phase of your peri-menopause!

Do hope you continue to get support, help and friendship from this forum

Hurdity x

caz24

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »

Hi starfish

Welcome, I have been on the site for a couple of months and agree that it's brilliant. To be honest it's kept me sane. At one stage I did really think that I was going mad and didn't feel like myself at all so it was good to see that those feelings are completely normal. I'm also 47 and peri, and have suffered from anxiety which seems less these days thanks to a concoction of supplements that are working for me at the moment, all info gathered from this site. I have problems with periods too and that's under investigation but probably due to peri.
Keep reading and as Hurdity said we must enjoy the calm phase! x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »

hello and welcome  :)

Millykin

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »

Hi Starfish
I'm new here too, the palpitations and anxiety for me are the worst same as you, few extra beats in there as well! I'm taking HRT and not once was I told not to, I was also on BB to help with palps and it did work also stopped the sweats a bit, I stopped them 2 months ago started HRT in April they been ok, I keep BB on hand and use now and again when palps start, sometimes feel I might take them constantly again as from April to July when I was on HRT and BB I felt great but past 2 months since stopping BB I have been a bit anxious again might just be hormone blip though, still ill plod on, so glad I found this site

X

Hollysmum

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »

Hi Starfish, and welcome!  I'm fortunate enough to have a sympathetic GP (male), who is also prepared to listen to what I'm saying and take on board any reservations or suggestions I might have regarding what treatment might be right for me.  Not everyone seems to be so lucky though - I've seen posts on this forum from women who don't want to mention certain things to their GPs (women as well as men) in case they get an adverse reaction.  Your experience of a GP being absolutely adamant that you could never have HRT is unbelievable! 

starfish

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the lovely replies everyone. Nice to make contact. Sorry others have been suffering the palpitations and anxiety too though. Millykin, hope you find the right combination of BBs and HRT; it sounds as though things are a lot better for you in general. I still take low dose bb daily although cardio advised I can try stopping if I wish or use on an occasional basis, so I might try that in due course. I've cut down from my previous dose by half but seem to need just a low dose for now. My palpitations were so frequent last year I was terrified by them; thank goodness they have calmed down now. Stress and perimeno are an awful combination.

Carol 24 that's great that supplements have helped you. I've done a lot of reading up and trying things too. Some really do seem to have helped me as well - especially a magnesium, calcium and vit D powder I have at night; red clover, and the menopace night - mainly because of the B vits and the small amounts of relaxing herbs in that I think.

And yes, GPs say the oddest things..! I always ask to see whichever locum lady doctor is in situ these days. Most have been very sympathetic and knowledgeable. I'm much more clued up as to what to say and ask too, which helps.

Best Wishes to everyone,

Starfish X

Teapea71

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »

Welcome starfish  :welcomemm: