Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bloody GP's!  (Read 4485 times)

LizeeeH

Bloody GP's!
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:08 AM »

So after seeing this female GP for over a year now where she protests that menopause does not cause joint aches and pains......oh hum!
Over the past year my joint pains have worsened, cant sleep at night and sweat like a pit pony :) my mood swings are in outer space and stress levels over the moon!
Ive had full blood count to see if I have arthritis etc all came back clear.....I though I was going mental! Then my big toe started to hurt like hell....then my ankle, I started walking funny as the hip was hurting too, I went back to her and got an xray of my foot....turns out its osteoarthritis, so shes booked me to see a physio? I asked her AGAIN about the night sweats etc and after telling me a year ago I was too old for the menopause (56) she now has said it could be the menopause!!!!!! but asked me to try natural remedies before HRT, which Im happy to do, so Im going to try menopace? anyone tried it? Just one more things ladies my 3 yearly mammogram is due next week and Im stressing, as I always do:( do all you lovely ladies go for your routine mammo's?   

Liz xxxx

babyjane

Re: Bloody GP's!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »

Hi Liz, sorry you have a GP like that. I have read posts from ladies on this forum that endorse HRT for all that you are describing and I think the general advice for you will be to change your doctor as fast as possible. I am sure others will soon be along to advise you.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »

How can you be too old for menopause?? Menopause lasts until the end of our lives so you can never be too old for it!

I would say that if menopace doesn't work then go back and press for HRT. You might get at least a couple of years relief before you then have the "not over 60" battle to fight.

Taz x

Witches Cat

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:16:49 AM »

Hi LizeeeH, I wasn't put onto HRT until I was 56, I was still bleeding but because of my age was given a Conti hrt. And yes I'm sure meno causes aches and pains, and the anxiety is goddamned awful... I tried a comp remedy before I crawled to the docs but it did no good at all. It was Menopace I used, and cod liver oil, primrose oil, jointace, you name it. HRT has helped a bit but Elleste duet conti I was given has just been stopped because although I was better with it than without, I was still feeling dreadful and had a small bleed after 2yrs too (hospital for scan tomorrow) I'm now 3 weeks into Femoston 1/5 and things are much better, not so dry down below either.  Think your doc needs educating.  Best wishes..... Chris.
                                                                                                                :)

tiger74

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:45 AM »

I understand your frustration.  It's so patronising and inaccurate when doctors say that being a certain age is to young or too old for whatever condition.  They often ask "is there a family history?" or "what age was your mother when....?"  - that can be useful but can also be very misleading too.

Please go for your mammogram appointment.  My advice would be to take someone with you and have a treat planned for afterwards.  I have annual mammograms, nerve-wracking but also reassuring to be monitored.   

Poshpaws123

Mammogram recal
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »

I had a mammogram last Tuesday and I was petrified of the result. They said it would be 2 weeks for results, I felt nervous, kept trying to put my mind at rest. It was hard but I had no choice. Then on Saturday I was having a nice time out with hubby, when I got home I found a letter, this was only 3 days after mammo, it said they need to see me again, it was a recall letter my worse fear.
Well, I started shaking and fearing the worse, I felt so sick, couldn't eat or anything, the apt was for Friday and I couldn't speak to anyone because it was Saturday.
I found some pain killers that help me sleep so I had one of them at night. The fear was terrible. I cancelled all my plans for the weekend. Everyone kept telling me not to worry but I couldn't help it.
I read some of the posts on here and saw a lot of the same sort of thing.
So at least I knew I wasn't the only one.

Since Saturday Ive only eaten one bit of toast, that's unheard of for me. My GP gave me sleeping tablets and Diazipan. I don't drink but I did have a bit, yuck it was horrible.

I rang on the Monday morning in a state and they gave me an earlier apt, So I went today.
They did another mammo, which I thought Id be terrified of but I didn't care, I just didn't want to be that one in five. I kept thinking, why??? why shouldn't it be me, what makes me different.
Then I had an ultrasound, I asked the consultant if anyone had looked at my mammo he said yes, it seems fine, cant see anything , we will just double check now with ultrasound.

Yes its all fine, cant see anything, you don't need to go back for 3 years, just be breast aware.
The nurse at the beginning said that it cant be they didn't tighten up the machine properly, but the consultant said that was probably the reason.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »

How terribly stressful for you.  I find the whole mammogram thing very stressful. 
I've have 3 close friends with breast cancer  - 2 of them had very early stage with relatively minor treatment and the other one had full blown cancer with operation, chemo and radio therapy.  None of them had used HRT - they had sailed through their menopause with barely a flush!!! The good news from my 3 friends is they are all doing really well and found the treatment they got excellent.
Delighted it all ended well for you.   Dg x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »

What were you worried about exactly?  I don't know why ultrasound isn't used routinely ………..

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 07:29:09 PM »

Hi poshpaws123

Glad it all turned out OK and sorry to hear you were worried.

I had a recall on one of mine but the letter was worded in such a way that I wasn't worried at all.  It said it was just that sometimes the results aren't clear - maybe blurred or something so had to be re-done. I was more annoyed that I had to have another shot of X rays. A pity your recall clearly wasn't explained in such an informative and non alarming way, which ended up causing you such stress.

At least you can relax now - but as you say - always be breast aware.

Hurdity x

rosebud57

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »

Had my last period and 56 and half.  My sister was 58.  This GP need re educating.