Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy (terrible afternoon)  (Read 9283 times)

roisen

Hysteroscopy (terrible afternoon)
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »

Today I went for a hysteroscopy and fully expected a speculum to be used. I was anxious. I'm very nervous of these things and my husband came with me. The female doctor said she would take a biopsy and that speculums aren't used. I couldn't understand how she would see my cervix. She probed about for about ten minutes, hitting my cervix and saying she was finding a way into the uterus. I jumped several times as she hit the cervix. The nurse and her kept asking me 'Shall we stop' over and over and I was saying 'no carry on' until in the end I got so sore that she stopped as she couldn't find her way in. Is this how they are usually done? Seems everyone mentions the speculum when talking about it. I'm now to have it under a general which I'm not happy about. Feeling very anxious. Anyone had this under general? Would like mind put at rest. Also I'm having brown discharge before periods which is why they are doing this. Should I be anxious about the general? thanks so much in advance. I'm becoming a stupid wreck...

Melbury

Re: Hysteroscopy (terrible afternoon)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience roisen. 

When I had a hysteroscopy it was done with just a small amount of local anaesthetic and was absolutely pain free and in fact very interesting watching it on a tv monitor.  I refused to have a general purely because I don't like them unless absolutely necessary.  However, from your description of events, perhaps it would be less stressful and less painful to have a general.

Good luck.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »

I've never heard of it being done without a speculum before - that seems absolutely crazy! NHS mentions speculum http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hysteroscopy/Pages/Introduction.aspx 

Did you have a speculum Melbury?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »

Sorry: if a professional asked if they should stop a procedure it would ring alarm bells.  A light GA should be OK, hopefully the investigation won't take as long as today's episode!

roisen

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:08:04 PM »

Thanks Taz, yes I read that too so was a bit taken aback.  She didn't offer anything in terms of helping the pain. I thought maybe I was overreacting. Nice to hear it isn't me. xx

I've never heard of it being done without a speculum before - that seems absolutely crazy! NHS mentions speculum http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hysteroscopy/Pages/Introduction.aspx 

Did you have a speculum Melbury?

Taz x

roisen

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:02 PM »

Yes, she seemed very keen to stop. It was almost like she didn't want to do it. They were all saying 'Shall we stop' only I and my husband were saying 'Let's get it over with.'

catlady

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:02 AM »

I had it done under a GA,  just felt  sore for a day after.
It's not that bad,  no pain after.

roisen

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »

Thanks so much for the responses. It really helps.
It doesn't help that I am such a worrier and panic so much. I'm convinced it is something serious.
x

roisen

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »

Sorry: if a professional asked if they should stop a procedure it would ring alarm bells.  A light GA should be OK, hopefully the investigation won't take as long as today's episode!
Thanks CLKD. I rather think she was more nervous than me. She seemed very keen to stop the whole thing. It upset me quite a bit but then I am easily stressed it seems.
x

toffeecushion

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »

Sorry you had hard time.  I had mine done while I was awake, but she numbed my cervix and used a speculum.

She had a good look round and tried to remove a polyp, but couldn't.  She sort of blamed me saying I wouldn't let go.  I think she meant I wasn't relaxed enough - who would be?  She stopped without trying too hard, I also felt like she didn't want to do it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 06:12:49 PM »

So what do you do next about this?

gilaray

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »

I had one under general anesthetic. You dont say how old you are but when I was approaching the meno I had brown discharge almost constantly. This is why this forum is so good as it can help to ease our anxieties - hope this helps

thorntrees

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »

So sorry to hear about your bad experience. I had a hysteroscopy without GA which included biopsies being taken and several polyps removed.  I can honestly say it was only mildly uncomfortable, the consultant explained what he was going to do and the nurses were very reassuring. He definitely used a speculum and then inserted a thin probe with what I assume was a camera as I could see what was happening on an overhead camera.I had no  pain afterwards and just very slight bleeding for about a day. It really does seem that our NHS is a bit of a post code lottery when it comes to the treatment we receive. I would be getting back to my GP if I had had your experience and asking what should have happened and why it didn't and seeking some reassurance about what the procedure will entail next time.

Thorntrees

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »

Hi roisen

I too am so sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience and I am horrified to hear this! These important procedures should only be carried out by experienced and confident practitioners (I realise they need to start somewhere...).

My experience was as thorntrees - I went on my own, no GA, no local anaesthetic, legs in stirrups, medical instruments - including camera - inserted, quick look around, biopsy taken, all done. Only a mild pinching at one point and very mild discomfort afterwards - and no bleeding either. if he found polyps (which he didn't) I had given permission for them to be removed at the same time. I just got down and drove straight home (25 miles) no problem

I did take the recommended painkillers one hour before the procedure - 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol so that must have alleviated any worse pain.

This should be every woman's experience - I was totally relaxed, the consultant was calm and confident and I can't praise the hospital enough for my (NHS) treatment.

I agree I would follow this up. I can't believe it would take 10 minutes to find the cervix - it literally went straight in when they did mine. They used a screen/to scan or something at the same time so it was TV guided.

Good luck at your next appointment. Is there any way you can have it done by someone else and not have a GA if you would rather not (I felt as you did re GA)?

Hurdity x

roisen

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »

I had one under general anesthetic. You dont say how old you are but when I was approaching the meno I had brown discharge almost constantly. This is why this forum is so good as it can help to ease our anxieties - hope this helps
Hi Gilaray, Thanks so much for responding. I'm 61. I was on Femosten 2/10  for ten years and everything was fine. I did start noticing the brown staining about a year ago. It usually happens about five days before the period and the period follows on. The brown staining has been heavy enough for a pad. I then asked (wish I hadn't) to change to something that would encourage my body to be period free. I was 60 after all. I went onto Evoril patches and just spotted throughout the whole month. This prompted my first ultrasound. I was told the womb looked healthy aside from some fibroids (cluster) But because I had a womb lining measuring 9mm I had to have another one. This showed the lining reduced to 7mm. I was then asked if there had been any bleeding between periods and I said no as there hadn't been then. A few months later I was scheduled for another scan which again showed 7mm lining and fibroids. I mentioned the staining and was sent for the Hysteroscopy. It's interesting to hear you had the brown staining too. Feel less alone. Sorry for the rambling post. My head is a muddle with it all now. My gynacologist said she was referring me because it was prudent. The woman doing the hysteroscopy said 7mm womb lining was not unusual but they need to check for nasty things because of the brown staining. I felt let down yesterday as she didn't seem to know where to go with her instruments.  Thanks so much for responding xxxx
Pages: [1] 2