Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy (terrible afternoon)  (Read 9281 times)

roisen

Re: Hysteroscopy (terrible afternoon)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »

Hi roisen

I
I agree I would follow this up. I can't believe it would take 10 minutes to find the cervix - it literally went straight in when they did mine. They used a screen/to scan or something at the same time so it was TV guided.

Good luck at your next appointment. Is there any way you can have it done by someone else and not have a GA if you would rather not (I felt as you did re GA)?

Hi Hurdity,
I find these posts so helpful and everyone is so nice. She kept saying she was trying to find a way in (surely there is only one way) but because I jumped every time she hit the cervix she chose to stop. Her attitude was if you jump when I hit the cervix it's no good. I honestly thought it would go straight in. Was prepared for a bit of pain but didn't think it would be so difficult. Maybe I was nervous but I read many women are but it still gets done. I'm to have it under GA now. Very fed up xxx

roisen

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »

Sorry you had hard time.  I had mine done while I was awake, but she numbed my cervix and used a speculum.

She had a good look round and tried to remove a polyp, but couldn't.  She sort of blamed me saying I wouldn't let go.  I think she meant I wasn't relaxed enough - who would be?  She stopped without trying too hard, I also felt like she didn't want to do it.
Ah Toffeecushion, the woman doing mine said it didn't matter whether I was relaxed or not!!!
Odd.
xx

roisen

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »

Good luck at your next appointment. Is there any way you can have it done by someone else and not have a GA if you would rather not (I felt as you did re GA)?

Don't think I could face it again. :-)  She's put me off for life.
x

sophieJ

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »

Roisen, I had a hysteroscopy under a general yesterday. Absolutely no post op discomfort. I had a horrible experience years ago which kicked off a blood pressure phobia which took over my life so I was very ante having a GA cos of the monitoring involved. However, I made sure all the staff know beforehand how nervous I was and I have to say they were amazing with me and the staff nurse couldn't apologise enough for the horrid experience I'd had years ago so I'm sure if you make everyone aware of what you've been through, it will all be so much better next time. I'm not a fan of being knocked out but I knew it was for the best and today I'm at home thinking my horrific periods and anemia may well be a thing of the past now. Have the GA, I promise you with my health anxieties if I can get through it you can too xxx

roisen

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »

Hi Sophie, I was wondering how you got on. I saw your posts and knew it was yesterday. Thank you so much for taking the time to message me. I'm so grateful. I'm so glad it went well for you. I will re read your posts to remind me of your symptoms. I remember the anemia. I hope everything gets sorted for you. I will certainly mention what happened and let them know I am anxious. I've just heard from my doctor who had a call from them as my thyroid test came back wobbly. Seems I have been on too high a dose of thyroxin. This may explain why I am a bit shaky. I'm so pleased to hear I'm not the only anxious one. I was made to feel very stupid and I kept apologising and feel annoyed with myself for doing so now as she was incompetent I think. Thanks so much and hope you get the result you want. I should get a date soon. Lynda xx

carrs

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »

Hi

I don't necessarily think the doctor is incompetent if she was unable to complete the hysteroscopy. Some doctors will be more experienced or adept than others, so you could ask about their work experience or ask to see the more senior doctor.

The doctor and nurse should keep asking if you want to continue if you find it very uncomfortable, because they can only do it with your consent.

I had my first hysterocopy without anaesthetic or speculum - just the camera probe, which is all that's needed. I was told I would get a dull ache, which I did, but the doctor did not tell me about the sharp, stinging pains. A speculum or local anaesthetic would not have helped because most of the pains were after the camera was already inside. They felt like nerve pains and only lasted a few seconds each, but they brought tears to my eyes! By the time the doctor and nurses noticed, the procedure was nearly finished, and I got over it quickly. I was not being brave, I just knew the procedure would not last much longer.

The second hysteroscopy was with a GA because the polyp would have been too difficult and painful to remove without anaesthetic. I was totally nervous of the anaesthetic, but relieved when it was all over without incident, and the morphine made me feel so good!

I think the idea and anticipation of it is worse than the reality. Not having it done would also cause a lot of worry.
I don't think it's as bad as root canal work, if that helps.

Good luck, and bring someone with you who can help you relax, if you have the opportunity.

sophieJ

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »

Keep me updated. In a nutshell very heavy and very frequent periods. My asthma has been bad too so I've been very breathless and exhausted and generally feeling 20 years older than I am! Hoping for good things ahead. Glad I had the GA, at least I have no knowledge of what happened. Just woke up wearing enormous disposable knickers with a huge pad inside!! Ask me anything you ŵant and if they are professionals they will look after you however anxious and reticent you are xx
Pages: 1 [2]