Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Patch went AWOL!!  (Read 3747 times)

Liz

Patch went AWOL!!
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »

In Tesco ::)  The edges had gone fluffy so I think it must have caught on my jeans and curled up.  Was due to change it tonight anyway, but I don't know why I keep having this problem..... don't use any moisturizer beforehand, etc.  Had the same problem before when I tried them.

Liz

Re: Patch went AWOL!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »

I had this problem last time.  Are there any estrogen tablets that would be compatible for a Perimenopause HRT routine using Utrogestan on days 15-26??  Not sure I want to give the Utrogestan up, as it suited me before and I'd rather use that then tablets with progesterone in them.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »

Try the patch again in a different position to see if it sticks better - I think many women have problems with sticking.
You may need to use Oetrogel which is still transdermal but you have better control over the application and dosage.  You just pump out a dose and apply it either morning or evening to the inner thighs - so easy.  You can also increase the dose if need be.  I think you have been given the 25 mg patch? I think this could be too low a dose for you anyway and if you use Oestrogel one pump per day may be a better dose for you.  You can then increase by maybe half a pump and see how you feel.
   DG x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »

Not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs. If you don't hold patch in place for at least 10 seconds, 30 is better, it does tend to come unstuck. Also make sure it is below waistband level as the constant up/down of jeans etc can losen it.  Not sure what else to suggest. Gel form may be better if this problem persists though.

Liz

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »

Thanks both of you......I'm actually on the 50 Estradot. 

I did suggest Gel to my Doctor last year when I tried the patches, but she wasn't keen and said the dosage wasn't so accurate.  I was hoping she'd prescribe me the gel but no luck.

Have put the new patch on the front of my thigh in the hope that it'll stay put this time and pressed it down for a good 30 seconds.

Liz

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »

I'm going to ask next week about the Oestrogel, sounds much easier than faffing with patches.  She definitely wouldn't give it to me last time though.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »

Can't understand why she thought oestrogel dosage wasn't as accurate.  I was on it for years before being changed to patches. I was changed because consultant thought I maybe needed to get more oestrogen, but said I could stick with gel if I wanted. Personally didn't like the gel as too sticky.  She put me on Estradot 50, but it was too much. Yes flushes were gone, but got horrid palpitations instead. Now on half an Estradot 25. Not ideal, but will stick with it as I'm trying to wean myself off it.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »

Liz - I am on Estradot 50 more or less continuously since age 54 (now 61) and never had  any problem with it except if I stick it in the wrong place and somtiems when sitting down in exceptionally hot weather.

I always put on bum cheek away from panti seams and away from low waist jeans (depends what sort of nix you wear - I wear low waisted bikinis. or mini-shorts style, or high leg mini ie all cover most of the bum cheeks so gives added protection to the patch. G strings and brazilians probably no good with patches). Make sure you undo these (jeans) properly when going to the loo because if I slide mine down with the zip still done up (can do this with stretch skinnies!) then it can rub the patch off.

I echo the 30 secs warm palm and I somtimes have a quick feel  :o in the loo to make sure it's still stuck and give it a warm press if not!

re the dosage of the gel - it can be inconsistent but once you learn and apply in the same way I'm sure it would be fine for you - as the others have said. The absorption varies according to the size of area you spread it on - ie it needs to absorb before it dries so this can lead to variation in dose.

Finally your question about tablets. Any oestrogen only tablet can be used along with Utrogestan - but see if you can get the knack of the patches first as they don't have to go through the liver.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x