Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: post menopausal roseacea - would HRT help?  (Read 9153 times)

mimi la chance

post menopausal roseacea - would HRT help?
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »

Hi all

I had roseaca when I was around 40 - this was the "spotty" type. At that time standard treament was a prolonged course of mixed antubiotics. This seemed to clear up the problem so a long time.

I hit menopause with a bump around 46, I had hot flushes but I would classiffy them as average, not severe.
After discussion with my GP, I decided against HRT as my mother had just been diagnosed with primary breast cancer for the second time, so considered i was high risk.

I'm now 57

In June this year, my roseacea returned (just as the sunny weather started) but this time it was the facial flushing rather than spotty type. The flushing areas are very demarked not all over my face.

Mirvaso gel has helped the redness, but I am suffering from rebound flushing and I can see skin chnages. The rebound flusing can look like I am badly sunburnt!

I have tried to reduce triggers- always use sun block and cut the booze doen to a single glass a week! Boo!
But a mild general hot flush seems to precipitate a full on roseacea flush, so I was wondering if if would be worth trying to stop my menopause flushes (which haven't really bothered me too much until now)

Can one start HRT 10+ years into the menopause?

mimi la chance

Re: post menopausal roseacea - would HRT help?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

Hi StellaJane
Thanks for your reply. I've been away with only poxy phone to net access, but now back with proper computer.

I'm going to see GP (who is female) and see what she thinks.

Also going to check out a roseacea forum and look for HRT info on there.

meno lesley

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »

Hi

I had rosacea in my thirties quite badly and was on low dose antibiotics for many years and then suddenly went, no one ever mentioned that it may have been hormonally linked. Fast forward to 52 and hit by all sorts of meno stuff going on along with rosacea again. I'm now 56 and have been on several hrts but it did get rid of rosacea and one doctor I saw said that there is a strong link sometimes between hormones and rosacea.

Lesley x

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »

I've also had rosacea which got worse when perimeno started when I was 40 . It affected my eyes as well (occular rosacea), resulting in dry eyes. Treatment included eye drops, Omega3s and facial gel/rinser. Now I am 43, on HRT for 5 months  already and things have significantly improved. At the beginning no one told me it could be hormone related, but now I am more than certain. I still use the facial stuff permanently, and on and off eye drops as I don't need them that much. I also continue to take Omega 3 s for various reasons, one including the eyes.
Milamam

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what rosacea is but all I can say from my experience is before I started hRT and also when I stopped it for three months I started getting red blotches on my face which were hot, and also some raised areas that were a bit like spots but not proper acne. I always had good skin and never had acne as teenager so I was surprised at this and didn't like it at all! I was getting menopausal hot flushes at the time too which added to the heat on my face.

When I went onto HRT when I was almost 54, and when I returned to it - the redness/blotchiness disappeared and I have not had this since - my skin is as normal as it can be at my age  ;D

Hurdity x

mimi la chance

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »

Hi

I had rosacea in my thirties quite badly and was on low dose antibiotics for many years and then suddenly went, no one ever mentioned that it may have been hormonally linked. Fast forward to 52 and hit by all sorts of meno stuff going on along with rosacea again. I'm now 56 and have been on several hrts but it did get rid of rosacea and one doctor I saw said that there is a strong link sometimes between hormones and rosacea.

Lesley x

Thanks Lesley- That's good to know.

I'm not sure if my GP will want to put me on HRT considering my meno flushes aren't that bad

Morwenna

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »

I developed Rosacea (the spotty type) two years after starting HRT. I changed to a different type to see if it made a difference, but it didn't. I've been on HRT four years now and have had Rosacea for two years with no end in sight  :(

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:51:12 AM »

The cause of Rosacea is not really known

Here is what is thought

Tiny blood vessels under the affected skin may become abnormal or leaky.
Sun damage.
A tiny mite called demodex folliculorum may be involved. ...
Abnormal immune reactions in the skin, which lead to inflammation

Here is the link to the UK forum  http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/