Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First day of HRT!  (Read 8848 times)

Welshangel

First day of HRT!
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:10:17 PM »

Hi all, I am 50 years old, had a hysterectomy 16 years ago and very bad menopause symptoms for the past 8-9 months. The hot flushes and sweats, both day and night have been ruining my life, have been unable to sleep and very tired, so last week I went to my GP who prescribed HRT, Estradiol patches 25mcg, ive sat looking at them for 3 days and after doing more research and reading the forum I finally put one on today, so here goes.....
Look forward to hearing from anyone whose used these.
kind regards WA  :)

Dancinggirl

Re: First day of HRT!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »

Welshangel  - Hi and Welcome to MM
25 mcg patch is a very low dose - it may take a bit longer to kick in and I suspect you may need a higher dose to get good relief from your symptoms - at your age 50 mcg would probably have been more appropriate.   Do remember you are still young and you will be benefiting your heart and bones in the long term by using the oestrogen.  As you have had a hyster I believe the research shows you are actually reducing your risk of breast cancer using some oestrogen!!!!  It's good to start low though - very easy to increase as needed. Don't be scared - you are doing the right thing for you and your body and I bet you will start to feel better very soon. Provided you are healthy, there should no reason why you shouldn't use oestrogen for the rest of your life! Enjoy getting some good sleep really soon - it's often the first benefit your notice.
Keep us post about your progress.
DG x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »

I started on Estradot 50 yesterday and am feeling better already!  Not sure if it's "placebo" at this stage, but I'e definitely felt "brighter" today - more energy and much less sweating. 

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:32:28 PM »

good luck with your hrt Liz and welshangel. I never used HRT and wonder now if I might have been better if I had. Bit late now but I hope you both do well on it.

Liz

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »

Thanks Babyjane, that's very nice of you.  I hope it sorts me out, been feeling yukky!

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »

Liz - Are you feeling yukky now?

Welshangel

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »

Thank you for all your replies, I'll keep you posted on how I'm feeling  :) WA

Liz

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »

Hi Limpy - no, I'm not.  I'm feeling better already, although I've only had the patch on for 2 days.  Not sure if it's just wishful thinking, but feeling brighter in myself.  Just wish the edges wouldn't curl up on the patch, though.

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »

It's good you're feeling brighter Liz.  :)
The edges curling up don't look good but as long as the patches stay on that's the main thing!

Welshangel

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »

Hi all I've only had my patch on for just over 24 hrs but I feel really pre menstral, is this normal?

Liz

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »

I haven't heard of that, but perhaps it's just the sudden influx of oestrogen and will settle?

Is your patch staying on OK, my edges keep curling and going fluffy? 

Welshangel

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »

Hi Liz my patch is staying on ok at the mo. You can buy a clear waterproof dressing to stick over patches that will keep it in place, if you still have trouble maybe you could try that. Are you feeling any better with the patches, as I said I'm feeling very premenstral, I'm hoping that things will settle down, cos now I still have menopause symptoms and pre menstral feelings! 😄

Liz

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »

So far so good.  Feeling a bit "lethargic" today, but generally brighter.  Thanks for the tip re the dressing.  I used micropore once before when I was on the patch before, but that pulled it off even more.  Where have you put your patch, if you don't mind me asking?

Welshangel

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 12:54:25 PM »

I've put my patch on my bum away from any seams or knicker line, it's staying on ok 😄

Liz

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:19 PM »

Mine's still on but it's got a curling edge with black fluff on it - very attractive! 8)
Pages: [1] 2