Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Very concerned and angry.  (Read 14750 times)

tiger74

Re: Very concerned and angry.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »

I can understand your concern and anger.

Personally I would walk away from a job where the management is negligently unsupportive.  That may sound defeatist but no job is worth putting up with that type of treatment.     

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »

Well I have had a good chat with my daughter.

Plan of action is now in place.
She is going in to see the shop manager on Monday after uni and will tell her she is not prepared to have this man in the shop again. She will  also tell her that her patents were very concerned and want to know what action she is going to take. If she is fobbed off then I will intervene. I will ask the manager what she intends to do and will suggest that a word with her area manager might be in order. It's a huge franchise. Don't think they would like the publicity.
I am prepared to take this further and yes risk her job......Don't care to be honest.

What's next....knife out the sheath. Five hours minimum wage....Not worth it.

I told her brother tonight and he could not believe the reaction. He worked for a large supermarket chain and there were safety protocols in place.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »

Well done.  Let us know ……..

I would be contacting the Police regardless.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:58:49 PM by CLKD »

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »

As a naïve teenager, I worked in local shop at weekends. Did so for about 3/4 years. That was until shop owner had a go at me one day. Can't remember what it was now, but he gave me hard hit on my arm.  I said & did nothing, but told my brother later. He was going to sort guy out but I left week later instead.

Good to see you have a plan of action, sometimes we have to step in.

Limpy

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »

I chatted with OH earlier and described the situation.

He felt your daughter should just leave the job, getting anything done  wouldn't lead to a good work experience. Is the job worth it?

Me - I feel the shop manager needs a kick, somewhere. I can't believe her saying the police should not be contacted. I know your daughter is going to speak to the manager, I think she or you should contact the franchise chain directly, don't think they would be impressed.

Not sure a job there is a good idea for your daughter. What do the other workers feel about the situation?

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »

I know she is grown up....Just not that grown up.

I suspect if she tells the manager that parents are asking questions she will realise she can't let things just die down.

Not prepared to let this one go by with no answers. Just not good enough.

Just seen your post Limpy. Other women are not happy either but their situation is different. It's the way they make a living whereas my daughter is a student who will move on. I don't think they will make waves....Just in case.
She has worked in this shop for nearly two years now. Although she is just a wee thing she has worked out how to deal with awkward drunks. She just gets very posh and haughty and they don't know how to deal with someone who won't drop to their level. 
She does really well coping with that kind of thing. However someone with a knife is a different story.
I really hope it gets resolved as its been a job that suits her.

Honeyb
x

catdude

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »

Manager definitely in the wrong here. Dealing with drunks, rowdy youths etc. is, unfortunately, part of the job when dealing with the public.  Being effectively threatened with a knife is not part of anyone's job and he is carrying an offensive weapon which in itself is illegal.

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »

I have been thinking about what I would do if this was my daughter. Yes, the manager has a duty of care to her staff and she has failed to do her job, which leaves your daughter and you with choices that you would rather not have had to have. This man chose to behave in an unacceptable and abusive manner. There is no excuse, regardless of his life experience. By not reporting his behaviour to the police, he is being given permission to do this again, maybe with far worse consequences. Your daughter should not work for a boss who has so little regard for her safety. I know finding work to fit in with her studies will be difficult, but her safety and her peace of mind is paramount. This is one time when I would be forceful putting my opinion across to my daughter.  It is also the peace of mind of everyone close to your daughter that counts.

babyjane

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »

I can't help wondering if she can continue in the job anyway. If nothing is done and this customer is free to return will your daughter feel safe and secure in her place of work? Possibly not. If waves are made and authorities informed will it cause problems with her boss? Possibly.

Either way her work experience has been spoiled through no fault of her own. She sounds a good worker and they would be silly to lose her but she is worth more than this cavalier attitude to her wellbeing.

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »

Well she has gone in for her shift today. She was not terribly happy about it but went anyway.
She will go and see the manager tomorrow and we will see what happens.
My daughter has said that if the same man appears again she will close her till and go to the staff area until he has gone.
She will not serve him.

Shame it's come to this but we can just wait and see what her manager says.

Honeyb
x

Dyan

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »

Just seen this HB.
Sorry to hear about it and hope it gets sorted one way or the other.

purplenanny

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »

What has the manager said HB? and how are things with your daughter?

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »

Meant to update.

She had a meeting with her manager on Wednesday. Her manager said she had not got the full story at the time otherwise she would have called the police. Not sure I believe that.....anyway.
She said my daughter had never complained about anything in the 18 months she had worked there so she appreciated how upset she was.
The man in question is now banned from the shop. If he tries to come in then instructions have been given to all supervisors to call the police.
No member of staff is to leave alone after the late shift. The supervisor has to make sure they all leave together into taxis or cars.

My daughter is a lot happier knowing she will not have to face this man again and that plans are in place.

Hopefully it's sorted now.

Honeyb
x

Linsey44

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »

Glad both you and your daughter are happier about the situation.  It does seem like your daughters concerns have been taken seriously.

purplenanny

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 07:57:04 PM »

A good outcome, Manager seems to have put sensible plans in place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4