Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice please about invalid beds  (Read 8438 times)

Dancinggirl

Advice please about invalid beds
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »

Hi everyone
My sister is recovering from another nasty time in hospital - I won't go into details as it would take forever.  Anyway, she has decided that when she comes home she wants to have a bed that is like those in hospital which are motorised - prop you up in bed and lift the knees.
I've been doing some research online but many companies don't give prices which I find suspicious - they want to do a home visit which I suspect is like those retched window salesman!!! :-\
Can anybody give me advice? Is there a good company to use?
DG x

Joyce

Re: Advice please about invalid beds
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:31:37 PM »

Probably because it will be made specifically for the person who needs it, so have to discuss requirements. It won't be cheap though.  I'm afraid I can't help but look up betterlifecare's website. I can't post on here as it leads to purchase.  Whether they are any good I don't know, but at least there are prices to give you an idea.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

My mum has an electric bed.

She hates the thing and at the moment does not use the electric bit. The reasons for this are mainly....when you tilt the head of the bed up it takes you away from your bedside table, and it all crumples in the middle which makes it uncomfortable to lie on.

I have tried it...at her insistance...and she is right. If you want a drink you cant reach it. You need new very expensive bedding as the bed is larger and it still crumpled. It cost my mother £400 but we bought it second hand from someone who didn't like it that we knew.

I suspect it might come into its own as she gets older...mind you she is 92...so how much older  ::)

Maybe a younger person might not be so set in their ways and would find it more beneficial.

Bedding can only be bought online though as it has to be deeper and longer.

The new beds cost...I think ...between £600 and £800.

Not cheap.

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:46:35 PM by honeybun »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »

Many areas have a mobility shop close by, maybe start there for advice? 

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »

Yes I agree...but I'm coming at it from someone who changes massive electric bed every other week  ;D

Bloody huge thing. I have to say I would never have one.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »

there are beds that tilt and turn from 'ordinary' manufacturers ………. we have a tilt settee, great for sleeping on especially when we were waiting to see a programme we enjoy  ::) - only to wake as the credits roll ……….

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »

Thanks ladies - some interesting thoughts and ideas.
I have a horrible feeling that you need to pay a bit more to get a good one - cheaper ones may be the ones that aren't particularly comfortable.
I think my sister is wanting this type of bed because she is in a hospital bed that has all these features at the moment and probably hasn't thought about the logistics of access to bedside table etc.  I'm worried about the issue of space in her bedroom. Also bedding is clearly another thing we need to think about.
I will discuss further with my sister and see what she thinks.
Keep giving advice please.  Dg x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »

Most electric beds for domestic use have a bog standard mattress on it although a bit deeper and longer. When you tilt the bed up the mattress folds in the middle.

Don't know how you get around that. In theory they are great but in practise not so wonderful.

No doubt there are really expensive ones out there but I think around £800 for a single bed is expensive.

Honeyb
x

groundhog

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »

Hi Dg - I seem to recall your sister has chrons? -  horrible illness - hope she is better soon whatever she has xx
I have some experience of electric bed and agree with honeybun.  We got one for my mother from Bensons for Beds - about £800 :(. It has been a pain to be honest but she is quite disabled.  The pillow area is permanately elevated as she can't use the remote - it pushes her too far down the bed so she can't reach her bedside table which is a right pain.  We also had to have a foot board put on as because it pushes you forward and because she is tall,  her legs dangled.  The mattress slips of the slatted base which is also a hazard.  In my experience it was a waste of money and she seemed more comfortable / safer on her old divan.  BUT she is physically and mentally disabled so please don't let me put you off completely :) xx

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »

My mum is only little now. Well under five foot...She slips down the bed too. If you raise the bottom she ends up stuck in the middle. B##dy nuisance.

Maybe it would be good if we couldn't lift her but we can and just prop her up on pillows.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »

Thank you so much ladies for all your feedback - it' every,very helpful.
I'm going to discuss the options with my sister - I think an ordinary bed with a really good mattress would possibly be the best option and then have those triangle blocks - they are cheap as well and can prop you up but are easily removed if you want to lie down.

groundhog - yes, she has had Chrons on and off throughout her life but her main problems stem from the injuries she sustained in a car accident 14 years ago.  The seatbelt saved her life but carved up her insides and she got MRSA in hospital, ended up on life support for 4 weeks and lost a great deal of her intestines in the process.
WE are lucky she has survived this along but her quality of life has been diminishing quite rapidly over the last couple of years.  This latest problem is a kidney stone - the most painful thing anyone can experience.  They operated but couldn't get to her kidneys because of all the adhesions after the MRSA and she ended up on life support again and was critical for a few days.  I'm happy to say she is recovering quite well now but has had a really humiliating time unable to control her bowels!!!!
They will have to operate again to try to remove the kidney stone when she is strong enough.  Understandably she is is terrified.
Discussing things like a new bed is good distraction.
Thanks again everyone.   DG x

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »

Oh my goodness, your poor sister. What a lot to have happened. Glad to hear her recovery is going quite well. Hope you find something suitable for her and that she continues to recover well.  :hug: