Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: other than staying away, how not to infect someone with my cold?  (Read 9164 times)

oldsheep

other than staying away, how not to infect someone with my cold?
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

I have a very close friend in France who has terminal cancer. We are off on Monday for a week to see her as well as another friend (who is also ill with depression). And other friends who aren't ill at all, thankfully. But the main reason was to see our french friend. She's just started yet another round of chemo - they are giving her longer spells of less, to keep her holding steady for as long as possible.
She's the least neurotic person about seeing people with colds (she goes to the cinema etc between chemo sessions) but I would hate to infect her and I have a cold, courtesy of my husband - he has the very end of his.
I'm coughing and a bit croaky to talk and feel tired. Had it 3-4 days now and nose isn't streaming (yet).
It's not enough to prevent me travelling and be able to get my money back on the ticket, accommodation, car hire etc.

So - should I just see my friend outside when the weather permits? I'll take the obvious precautions of not touching things she touches and covering my mouth etc. I can't really walk around in a mask.

We normally spend a lot of time in her little flat as she loves to talk. (each story takes at least an hour  ;D ).  I'm really worried and also fed up about this.

Limpy

Re: other than staying away, how not to infect someone with my cold?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »

Can you ring or email her to see how she wants to play it.
Stress you are worried about infecting here.

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 10:03:32 AM »

Ive done that Limpy but no reply as yet. I'll whatsapp her again. She likes whatsapp.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »

Vitamin C with Zinc is supposed to help, though think Zinc on it's own is just as effective.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »

Difficult - You are going to France anyway I take it, so you will be seeing other people, what I mean is you won't be cancelling.

It would be good to get her opinion. Failing that just keep your distance and don't touch her or things she is likely to touch.

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

I'm well enough to travel. It's just a cough/cold. No way would I get any travel insurance back on that.
My friend just whatsapp'd me that it's fine to see her outdoors and to take propolis. Bee resin?! H&B sell it. I assume she means it soothes the cough.
I'll get some zinc too.

Just been in north west Mallorca and had a world record number of zumo naranja natural (fresh OJ) so think vitamin C doesn't need much of a top up!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »

I'm not sure how long we are infectious with a cold/cough.  I know we are at our most infectious a day or so before we show symptoms - that's why it is very difficult to contain a virus. When seeing a person with a compromised immune system I think it would be the usually precautions - no physical contact, don't share things like food or drink and be scrupulous about washing hands etc. Maybe avoid being in an enclosed environment with that person e.g. sit outside? The warm french air may help your cough clear up quickly anyway. Also taking something to reduce your coughing maybe good - I find a cube of chocolate allowed to slowly dissolve in the mouth coats the throat and stops that infernal tickle - apparently trials showed this was more effective than many cough medicines!!!!
Enjoy your trip.
DG xxx

oldsheep

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:50:49 AM »

I think I might try the cube of chocolate remedy DG  ;D  thanks! Yes, we had planned to go to a film with her our first night but we said no to that.
There's a latin american film festival on and the opening film had tickets and looked great. She's lived there so we are hoping we can be well enough to take her to one of the week's films.
OH always gives me bugs in autumn/winter. Every year  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »

I'm afraid sitting in a cinema is the best way to catch whatever virus is going round!!!
It's like being in an aeroplane  - so often we catch something on a flight.
Don't forget to take extra Vitamin D in winter - really good for the immune system and many other things.   Dg x

catdude

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »

On the Vitamin C point, I think I'm right in saying we need to have some every day as the body doesn't store it. Perhaps someone else can confirm / correct this. No idea if it actually makes any difference to colds mind....

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:21:48 PM »

If she is in the middle of a round of chemo I would say don't visit. Having had quite a few friends (sadly) go through the treatment while you are having it is definitely the time you are most likely to catch something. She goes to the cinema in between sessions as you say but not during them. Tough decision though. I found this information on the Macmillan site really useful when visiting my friend with pancreatic cancer last year http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Symptomssideeffects/Othersymptomssideeffects/AvoidingInfection.aspx

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »

She says outside will be fine. She has 48 hours treatment every 2 weeks, ongoing. I asked her if we should stay away as I'm scared of infecting her but she was horrified. She now has 4 metasases and lives for the moment.
Back smoking heavily again too.
She's only 62 and an inspiration to us all.  Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be much better. Trying the zinc and bee resin (which tastes revolting). It's mostly a phlemy cough this bug.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 05:33:03 PM »

If she is terminal and the treatment is for ease of pain etc., a germ probably won't make much difference time wise and if she says 'go', there's your answer.  The immune system is 'knocked' by cancer and the treatment knocks it even further because the body has to fight two/3 issues - when I was having radiation non of my wounds healed for weeks, usually I'm healed within 48 hours.  So I knew my body was putting it's energy into other issues.

Have a good time!  If necessary, sit apart and text each other  ;) (what is whattsapt?  ;D )

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »

It takes 3 days to catch a cold, 3 days to 'have it', 3 to give it away ………..  ;)

tiger74

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »

Hi oldsheep,

As you may know, it's the effect of chemo on white blood cells which makes cancer patients vulnerable to infection.  If your friend's white blood cell count has been good enough each time she is due for another dose of chemo then it sounds like her system is coping well (because generally they won't give chemo if someone is neutropenic).  She will probably have been told at which point in each 2-week cycle she is most/least vulnerable to infection. 

I had chemo sessions at 3-weekly intervals during the flu and swine flu season a while back.  I was warned that if I picked up either of those or any other serious infections I would be immediately hospitalised and that it would probably delay chemo sessions.  So you are right to be cautious.  I was least vulnerable to infection (i.e. white blood cell count at its best)during the 3rd week of each cycle so that's when I went out and about, albeit armed with a bottle of hand cleanser.  All depends on one's attitude to risk and one's priorities.  Your friend may well value visits from friends more highly than she fears picking up an infection.

Main suggestion I have, to back up what others have said - hand cleanliness is paramount.

All the best with your visit.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:55:43 PM by tiger74 »
Pages: [1] 2