Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Still too hot for Stew, but not fancying salads etc, what to do for tea?  (Read 8349 times)

minkusmum

Re: Still too hot for Stew, but not fancying salads etc, what to do for tea?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »

Witches Cat, Yes, you get anchovies in a small flat tin and they melt when you cook them. We like them, but they are salty (my kids both hate them). I wish we had the option of a takeaway, but there are no shops around here and if there were you need to think twice before using them. Food, both fresh and prepared, is very expensive here. Looking forward to be taken out for the first fondue of the winter next week by some visitors...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »

I HATE anchovies  ;D

We eat 1 hot meal a day.  The body needs sustenance even in hot weather.

DH cooks.  He will make a chicken curry (properly) and enough for a tub to go next door as well as some to eat cold the next day. 

We buy pitta-type flat breads.  DH chops garlic and ginger small; fries lightly in olive oil with black pepper. Drain.  Put the bread under the grill, switch on and add garlic/ginger (add chives or spring onions for flavour).  Remove from grill and add: chopped, lightly fried red/yellow/green peppers; back under grill (we're building a layer); remove and add grated cheese, back under grill until bubbling.  Serve on a warmed plate!

Local chish and phipps every couple of weeks.  He makes a stirred pasta dish, he puts prawns with his and mince or cheese in mine.  Again added garlic/ginger (our staple base).

He makes beef burgers from scratch: again staple; add finely sliced sun-dried tomatoes from the jar, drained; in a saucepan whilst the above is frying put mince and a little olive oil …….. on a light heat cook, stirring often.  If onions are required add (but I'm allergic so we don't  ::) ).  The joy of home made burgers is that 1 can add/leave out what ever 1 fancies  ;).  He eats his in a 'bun' I have mine either on a bed of cooked rice or as it is. 

This evening (when he does wake up ) it will be a trout he caught yesterday lightly buttered internally and cooked under the grill; with boiled rice to which he will add the staple, plus black paper and when served, I will add either butter to the rice or soy sauce.  Serve on warmed plate.  Sometimes he will add tinned, drained peas or sweet corn to the rice as it cooks. 

Beans on toast: + fried/poached egg; with chips.  We grow lots of beans, I LOVE lightly boiled runners or broads, drained with oodles of butter drizzled over to serve.  Warm comfort food.

As a recovering anorexic-type I have to eat as soon as I feel hungry.  So quick pasta in a pan dishes are good 'fillers'. 

holidaylover

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »

T-bone steak! Hubby has the sirloin, and I like the fillet. Buttered new potatoes and roasted Mediterranean veg. Simple, tasty (quite) healthy, and all washed down with a nice bottle of red!

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »

Is that a bottle each ………..  :whist:

I love 'yams' - easy to cook, lovely with butter and black pepper ……..

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »

My hubby could be a pescatarian (sp). Me not so much.

I like a steak or a lamb chop occasionally. I find we don't eat that much red meat any more. It's supposed to be much healthier anyway. We do eat a lot of chicken. Curried, casseroled with lots of different veggies and beans.

Winter is soups and stews. Family favourite is beef cobbler. So nice on a cold winters night.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »

I made a one pot casserole tonight & served with dairy free Yorkshires.  Scrummy. Hubby was moaning about me wanting to cook salmon the other day, he suddenly tells me he doesn't like salmon, only the smoked variety. So I thought, right, back to plain old fashioned cooking. He never moans about that.

holidaylover

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »

CLKD, intentionally, one nice bottle of red shared. HOWEVER, hubby, very quickly, fell asleep once said steak was consumed, therefore, I am very much enjoying, at the moment, the partaking of a second bottle, with the choice of 'MY' TV, (with slight (!) background snoring). I am slightly scared to move, because on him wakening I shall be further subjected to Golf (Ryder Cup).

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »

:lol:  did you lose the remote?
Pages: 1 [2]