Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bleeding and sore tummy  (Read 2545 times)

jayneaddo

Bleeding and sore tummy
« on: September 27, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »

Hi Everyone

Can anyone give me some advice? I went through the menopause 8 years ago at 43 and began HRT seven years ago and am taking Femosten Conti 1/5. Had lots of bleeding in the beginning which settled down well, then three years ago started to use vagifem fro VA! I am an interstitial cystitis sufferer and my bladder symptoms were dreadful. I was going to the loo at least 20 times a day. vagifem was like a wonder drug. Last year my menopause symptoms got worse and my gynaecologist prescribed a patch in addition which was estradot 25mcg. Everything has been tickety boo until a week ago when I started bleeding, it was just spotting for a few days but then started to be like my periods were with lower tummy ache as well. It's not massively heavy but certainly feels strange and my stomach is bloated.
Has anyone else had anything like this and will it settle down. I don't want to be taken off HRT so reluctant to go to GP. Any advice?
At h in addition

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding and sore tummy
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »

I jayneaddo
I would be concerned that adding some extra oestrogen with that extra patch without countering it with a higher dose of progesterone might result in this bleeding.  Combination HRT preparations are carefully balanced to keep the uterus lining thin - in other words, the right balance of progesterone to oestrogen.  I would have thought it would have been better to put you on the 2/10 Femoston to give you more symptom relief rather than just adding more oestrogen!!???
You might need to see the gynaecologist who put you on the extra oestrogen and possibly have your womb lining checked - can you make an appointment with him/her or do you need to go through your GP?.
You could just ask your GP to give you the 2/10 Femoston instead of the patch and this may sort the bleeding out anyway. Femoston is well tolerated by many women (because of the kinder progesterone) and it obviously suits you so just upping to the higher dose could be an option for you.
DG x