Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Favourite local foods.....what's your area famous for  (Read 14404 times)

Rowan

Re: Favourite local foods.....what's your area famous for
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

I am not a Northerner but live in the North West and as far as I can see Ken Dodd was right when he said "a pie in each hand is a balanced diet here"

Witches Cat

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »

Although I like to say I am in deepest darkest Dorset, where we are is right where Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire meet. At one point you can put both feet into 2 counties and a hand into the third, so for us it's Cheddar Cheese from Somerset, Dorset Knobs (biscuits like rock) from Dorset, and Ginger Piggery Sausages and Ham from Wiltshire (just outside Salisbury) 

catdude

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »

Welsh lamb, some good cheeses as the part of Wales I live in is very much dairy farming, Pembrokeshire new potatoes not too far away.

Aethelede

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »

Kippers and queenies (scallops) here on the Isle of Man. Also bonnag, a sweet cake/bread, lovely local cheeses.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »

:-\ ………… we should be in the heart of good grub but too many supermarkets.  Farmers' markets are too pricey and the areas are increasing, originally it was supposedly within a 20 mile radius  ::) …….

Good Thread though!  Most of the shellfish etc. caught around the UK goes to Spain/France - some is processed and sold back via supermarkets  :( ……… we did get languisines and lobster straight from the boat when we stayed there 9 years ago.  Even the local seal was ready at the 'right' time for bits thrown over the side of the small boats  ;D …………….
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:44:53 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »

Scotland used to have a really bad name with regard to our food culture. Fortunately things have changed for a lot of us. Not so much of the deep fried Mars Bar...never tasted that .....and more of our great sea food and beef.

I see little boats out in our bay everyday lifting lobster pots and catching prawns. There is not that much for sale here but we have a couple of good fish mongers and a great smokery locally.

When I was little I was taken all over by my dad to where the fishermen were landing there catch

The favourite was herring coated in oatmeal and pan fried.

We have a bit of a mad local butcher. He has sausage competitions. Come up with an interesting recipe and he will turn it into the sausage of the week.   ;D

We have had all sorts including one with Iron Bru....Did not buy that one.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »

Eeuuugh Not Iron Bru.   :sick02:  My son told me about something similar. 

Never tried deep fried Mars bar either, never appealed.

I do seem to remember my mum speaking about herring coated in oatmeal. Never tried that either though.

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »

Herring in fine oatmeal is lovely. Either pan fry or dot with butter and grill it. Have with Ayrshire potatoes and bread and butter.

Worth a try.

Honeyb
x

Judith57

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »

I live in London but have a house on the Kent coast in Whitstable, famous for it's Whitstable Native Oysters. I spent a few days there in the summer with my brother and his wife and children. I told my nephews and niece that I would give them £20.00 each if they ate an oyster, the boys did it with no problem but the little girl got herself into a dreadful state, couldn't even swallow it with a can of Tango so I gave her the £20.00 anyway. When they got home they watched the film where Mr Bean goes on holiday to France and is tipping oysters into the handbag of the lady on the next table. Maddie will never forget her first oyster, it will probably be her last!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »

Would have to be really hungry to attempt an oyster, raw or cooked  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »

I like oysters but the last time I had them I ended up feeling sick and had a terrible case of the shakes. I'm now scared of trying again....Just in case.

Brave kids and they earned the money   ;D

I really love all sea food.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 09:42:05 PM »

Oysters have never appealed.  :sick02: Now snails, tried them & really do like them.

Hattie

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »

An item on our local news this week was on the survival of the Dartmoor Pony and how a horse meat market for them might help.

maybe a future local food ?

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »

I've just been reading about this Hattie!! Seems to be a cost-cutting exercise http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Dartmoor-pony-neat-Suggestion-eat-hill-ponies/story-23014175-detail/story.html

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »

Well why not? We eat wild deer, fluffy lambs, frollicking bullocks (well they're not actually wild!), and other wild herbivores so why not ponies. As long as it doesn't lead to their being endangered or exploited I can't see any objection?

Hurdity  x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4